Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Fossil foot bones hint at mystery walker

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,114 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

www.bbc.co.uk said:

Scientists have obtained a fascinating new insight into the evolution of humans and our ability to walk.

It comes from the fossilised bones of a foot that were discovered in Ethiopia and dated to be 3.4 million years old.

The researchers say they do not have enough remains to identify the species of hominin, or human ancestor, from which the right foot came.

But they tell Nature journal that just the shape of the bones shows the creature could walk upright at times.

The fossil haul consists of eight elements from the forefoot - bones such as metatarsals and phalanges.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,874 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

Just read about this. Very interesting. The human past and ancestor species are turning out to be more varied all the time.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#3    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,179 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

As we have found hominids to be quite common in historical record, yet dwindled down to one species, would one not expect that more species existed? We are lucky to find what we have and I am sure many existed that we will never know of, but as the rise of primates flourished far more than Darwin had the information to realise I would have thought that the initial "malay" would be reasonably extensive? I think I find it stranger that it took so long to find remains like Flores and the Denisovian people but found many remains far more ancient in the meantime. I suppose that the presence in the great rift valley is better equipped.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,076 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Hmmmm, I wonder if they are being a little over zealous in order to appear to have made a new and unique discovery.  I mean come on, from a very small bone from a 3.4 million year old foot, inferring an entire new undiscovered species of human ancestor????  I just love me some science boy!

#5    Mysterydude551

Mysterydude551

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

I wonder about this a lot to be quite honest. We're hearing new information just about every year about the species that lived millions of years before us. But my question is, how did they infer some 3.4 million old bone, to be from some undiscovered species? Dah hell!

#6    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Maybe they should get Lance Link to have a good look at this bone.

#7    harleyblueswoman

harleyblueswoman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Maybe it is Bigfoot ancestors....  :yes:

#8    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

lucy isnt a human ancester and nether is this,they have been doing this for years claiming they have found the missing link only to find its a monkey not human,lucy was forced to be taken down in the natural history museum also as its a primate not a human

#9    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

View Postreggie2011, on 29 March 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

lucy isnt a human ancester and nether is this,they have been doing this for years claiming they have found the missing link only to find its a monkey not human,lucy was forced to be taken down in the natural history museum also as its a primate not a human

Posted Image

'Missing link' is a misnomer. Evolution is not a line.
Lucy was never claimed by scientists to be a human, just the earliest example of a Hominin until Ardipithecus was found. There is much evidence that suggests that Australopithecus afarensis is, in fact, an ancestor of Homo sapiens, but there is still some debate. It is accepted, however, that the Australopithecus genus is what lead to the Homo genus.
Also, Lucy has never been "forced to be taken down" by anyone. She is actually in the middle of a six year tour of museums in the US. So in way she was "forced to be taken down", but only so she could be put on display in another museum fr more people to see.

SCIENCE! AWAY!

Edit: I love that we keep finding new hominins. That's what, 3 in the last 12 months or so?

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 29 March 2012 - 11:49 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#10    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• creator/webmaster/owner
    mystery documentaries.com

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

they can call it whatever they like its still not an ancester of human beings, darwinism is still just a thoery lots of sceintists are not darwinists,they have a habit of brushing under the rug what dose not fit into there model,like foot prints along dinosars under bedrock and human artifacts found 450 thousand years old the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming but is considered taboo in some scentific circles ,belive  the facts not what you hear

Edited by reggie2011, 30 March 2012 - 12:19 AM.

#11    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,569 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

View Postreggie2011, on 29 March 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

they can call it whatever they like its still not an ancester of human beings, darwinism is still just a thoery lots of sceintists are not darwinists,they have a habit of brushing under the rug what dose not fit into there model,like foot prints along dinosars under bedrock and human artifacts found 450 thousand years old the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming but is considered taboo in some scentific circles ,belive  the facts not what you hear

To quote Neil Degrasse Tyson; "The good thing about science it that it's true whether or not you believe it."
I will now withdraw from this converstation, sir, as you have no grasp at to what science is, nor how it works.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,874 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

I don't think many people actually read the article or other articles on the same bones before posting. There were 8 bones and they could tell from these that the front of the foot, the little toes, were very modern, but the big toe was opposible, like an ape. The morphology of the bones is very clear and the bones are clearly from the same ape, and they are also clearly not the same species as Lucy... Thus... dun, dun, dunnnnnn... this is a new species.

The evidence for Darwin's theory is overwhelming. The fossils would have had to be put there in Situ by God, at the moment of Creation, in order for the Theory not to be true. Which I find to be a weird idea. I'm much more in the camp that humans were created when God created animals. And it was not till God put intellegence into Adam that man became aware. Theologically speaking anyway. This theology allows for the Biblical "Days" to actually be "Spans of time" that could be millions of years (Or billions). And allows for ancenstor ape species. Also this explains were the other thousands of people came from whom Adam's decendants married into and lived with.

Plus Genesis is alagorical, and not meant to be taken literally. Ask anyone who has a Degree in Christian studies.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,359 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

View Postreggie2011, on 29 March 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

Yes, but believing the facts and not what you hear leads one away from your kind of thinking.

Edited by FurthurBB, 30 March 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#14    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

It's possible that since our ancestors were not that far removed from the ancestors of chimpanzees they mixed from time to time and what they have here is a "hybrid" between the two.  It might have been quite common actually.  Just like Neandertals and Cro-Magnon mixed occasionally and produced hybrid offspring the same thing might have been true between archaic chimpanzees and various australopithecine species.  I can remember how horny I was as a teenager and if the same were true of our distant ancestors I can picture them breeding with pretty much any female ape-like creature they could catch!  If they stumbled upon a willing pre-chimpanzee female they might have very well inter-bred.

#15    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,076 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 30 March 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

The morphology of the bones is very clear and the bones are clearly from the same ape, and they are also clearly not the same species as Lucy... Thus... dun, dun, dunnnnnn... this is a new species.

So must be a human ancestor???  Not buying it.  attempt for funding for further digs in order to prove the hypothesis? that I will buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users