Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Will Robots Eventually Steal All Of Our Jobs?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,829 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 06 February 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Thats the basics. But if we evolve as a society its going to take more then simple paragraph to create equality.. But as it stands we are going the opposite the way with the robots getting the jobs and humanity getting non-compensation for the change in the socioeconomic reality of the world. It does not appear the ones installing the robots to replace human workers would agree with you. And the Govmnt is one of our biggest offenders currently. The only jobs they are preserving are there own.
It means production will have to be socialized for this to work.  Some private investment will continue for a long while, but as machines make labor more and more redundant the wealth will otherwise flow to the proprietors.  This has the effect of the rich getting super-rich and everyone else being impoverished.  Transitional measures to offset this via taxes and redistributions will go only so far, and then nationalization will have to happen.

View PostEldorado, on 06 February 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Machines 'break' and malfunction.  Quite often.  (only saying)
Although not as often as people, and they are easier and cheaper to fix.

#17    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

There's something I never understood. Say tomorrow humanity triumphs in developing the perfect humanoid robot that can do all the work humans used to do. If everybody buys one of these, they can go to work and we get the money. Freedom for all humans. But then whose robot goes to which job to earn how much? They're all the same aren't they? And what's the point of earning money, or even paying for our own robots, we pay ourselves, it's us they do the work for. They wouldn't even need money to maintain. Built in batteries that can be recharged using solar panel stations, which they can build for themselves after a while, if one breaks down it signals to another, switches off and the other one recycles it to build another one. They do all the agricultural work, drive the trucks, run the supermarkets and restaurants, all we have left to do is eat and use the products they produce, and find something to do. They don't need money or anything, and neither do we. What for? Every product has 0 production and transportation cost. We just need attach a universal price tag on everything, and every human has so much to use every month, equally, based on the sum of all the value of all the stuff produced every month divided by the number of humans. Some will buy two small cars, others one car, a TV set, a motorboat and a PS4. You get the idea. So where does money come into the picture, meaning, why the heck would we need jobs? Sure, some would be bored and enjoy doing something useful, some would still run restaurants etc., not for the money but for the fun of it, it's what they like to do. Others would be volunteer politicians to process the votes of the people on public matters, yet others would carry on doing scientific research, because they love science, or work in hospitals because they feel useful doing some useful service that others appreciate because of the human touch. Worried about losing jobs? What jobs? There will only be hobbies left, and they can't be taken away.

edit: somebody has to produce them first of course, who will pay them? Well if it was me I wouldn't want the money for them, as you can't use it for anything. Maybe a few extra credits to start with, in that equal distribution system I told you about. And then you'd only need to build a few, from that point on they can mine, and get more raw material to build more of themselves to reach a number that we need them to reach.
One more thing. In a way, everybody should get some of those "credits". After all, as patents work, a lot of ideas will be used to build a robot. Someone probably holds a patent for AI. But even without actual existing patents, it was someone's idea, just like there was someone in human history that thought of, for example, the concept of a wire. We knew metals conduct electricity, but someone had to come up with the idea of long thin pieces of metal, and how to produce one. If that person had gotten a patent (why shouldn't they), then anyone using a metal wire should pay the descendants of the inventor. Same goes for every part, every process, every method, so the builder of the robot owes some ancestor of every living human, after all, we are here today thanks to our ancestors. Of course you could argue that eventually anyone could've thought of the concept of a wire, simply being first shouldn't give you privileges. Well, how do we know when the second person would've thought of an idea? If someone invents something today, should we give them a patent? Maybe someone else would invent the same thing in a week and not as for a patent, so all humanity can use the idea for our collective advantage, without profiteering. Why should we pay the first person for beating another by a short while? Many inventions and realizations in history were made by several individuals simultaneously. It seems we get ideas when the "time is right", and we also use other people's findings. As humans as a collective become more and more intelligent, educated, knowledgeable, etc. we become able to think of more and more complex and/or creative ideas and as a result, inventions. So if you invent something, chances are, someone else would have invented it soon as well. We are mostly as smart as our current educational system and social paradigm allows us, and being a genius is down to chance, hardly something that should be awarded. Do inventors with patents share the money with their teachers, without whom they would've never acquired most or at least some of their knowledge, the bases? Or the parents without whom they wouldn't have grown into who they are? This can get really complicated, but at the end of the day, we are one big family working together for a better future, so we should share equally. Again you could say there are some that don't do any work, just sit home watching TV living on the dole not contributing society. Guess what. Their problem. When they get free food from the robots they will probably still be watching TV, their loss, call it sad life or what you want, they have a right to live, and live with dignity, all humans have the right to have the basics like food, stuff necessary for survival, like people in countries where they have no opportunity to prove their worth. But that's another conversation... or monologue.

Best piece of truth I have found so far: http://llresearch.or...of_one_pdf.aspx
A truly free society: https://sites.google...t-economy-today
The true history of our planet: http://www.floating-...rth_history.htm
Dialogues with The Absolute: unveiledsecretsandmessagesoflight.blogspot (dot) co (dot) uk/2011/08/eon-11aug2010.html
A wealth of metaphysical readings with a surprisingly high ratio of truth content: soulwise (dot) net/index-00.htm

#18    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

More likely, instead of humans being outcasted by machines, humans will merge with machines to form Homo Machinus, a new path of artificial evolution.

#19    paperdyer

paperdyer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

The machines will allow mankind to reach for the stars.  Look at Star Trek. A replicator in every home.  Other than off-world trading, did you ever see anyone pay for anything on Earth in Star Trek?  Just saying.  Possessions will become less important as you'll be able to have anything you want, when you want/need it.

#20    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,413 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

They will not be able to replace all of our jobs, but it is worrying to see the large number of jobs they have replaced and will eventually replace, slowly decreasing the employment positions available to people available in the western world...

They will never be able to replace our creativity though. So get a job as a designer, stylist, artist etc and pass those skills to your children...  

or just adopt a robot ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#21    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

If they built AI which is smarter then we then how do you know that wouldnt secretly took control (and AI could do it by breaking codes) of nuclear rockets and defeat us?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#22    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Robots need software :)

#23    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,712 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 06 February 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

Robots need software :)

Am smiling at the thought of a robot politician or civil servant, programmed to be incapable of telling lies.  :)

There'd be chaos!  lol

Edited by Eldorado, 06 February 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#24    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

• Credendo Vides
    Seeing is Believing

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Not all, never all
Some yes, but all not a chance

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#25    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,212 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Robots have been taking jobs away for years...why? because humans do not want to pay a wage when they can have a more efficient piece of  machinery do it instead. Robots are not the problem, its those who keep over  breeding without a though about their childrens future. We do not need big families anymore and in time will not be able to afford them, times have most certainly changed.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#26    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

There's a lot wrong with robots doing our jobs...

If you must you need to scrap currency to make it workable.
However we will turn into a world full of fat,unhealthy couch potatoes.
So effectically it's enouraging really bad habits to creep into our lives.
The only way you actually lift a finger is when the robot has short- circuited.
Though in our lethargic haze perched on our sofa we might not process the knowledge to fix it.
And what happens when you tell your robot helper to go up on the roof and adjust the TV aerial.
All it takes is more lightning bolt with metal being a great conductor.
No more robot. You'll be about as useful as that poor guy in the " Lazy" video.
^^^ And that's the best case scenario.
Robots though don't need to breathe,drink,eat and sleep.
You could have then doing sentry duty all night.
But what happens if these apparently mindless automatons start to think...

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#27    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

i don't like the idea of machines replacing human workers for one bit at all.i know why the government or any type of business would do this.here's some ideas and even facts.the government and i would even go as far as companies and larger and powerful corporations want obedient mindless "Sheeps" and mindless workers/slaves to be smart enough to do the work but not think for themselves.i have a very important question for all you people!!!! 1)do you know what a robot represent???answer:a mindless slave/Sheep or slave because they do everything they are told without thinking for themselves and they are programmed to obey and created that way.don't believe people wait and see till it gets worse and machines actually start replacing humans which they are doing at the moment.call me paranoid or whatever.the joke is on you not me I'm really aware of who they truly are and how they are.keep sitting on the sidelines and let them your going to pay the price.most people are a Sheep and slave to the system.they want the population to do nothing and your helping them by doing nothing!!!

Edited by King Cobra 1408, 06 February 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#28    Major Payne

Major Payne

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

The movie "WALL-E" is one of the visions of the "Predicted" future.
It may exaggerate the story but the baseline has worried Humankind for the last few decades.
"Humans ruin Earth and are forced off planet, looked after by Robots who cater for their every need"
Take away the story of Humans leaving Earth and we still will have robots doing our work for us.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.".....
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.".......quotes from Winston Churchill

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

#29    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

dey tuk our jewbs!

Edited by chopmo, 07 February 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#30    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

As jobs dwindle and robot/automated productivity increases, two thing can happen.  We can socialize and provide a baseline of resources for everyone or we can let social darwinism kick in and let those that don't own the resources and robots fend for themselves.  Perhaps at that future time, we will have developed space travel which will allow the excess human population travel to other resource planets with their own robots. (I personally think it will be more like WALL-E than Star Trek, however)
Robot technology and automated technology is becoming increasingly creative as well. http://www.cracked.c...ming-human.html
I foresee more social robots in the future as well.  Robot pets and companions.  All of the positive things a person could want made right in. Smart, sexy, intelligent, compassionate, and a robot.  D.A.R.Y.L, Cherry 2000, I-Robot, Blade Runner and A.I. Artificial Intelligence all merged into reality.  Perhaps by then we will be cybernetic like Ghost in the Shell.  Personally, whichever way it goes, I see it as the next step in human evolution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users