Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Brain Scans of Presidential Candidates?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:47 AM

Call for Brain Scans of Presidential Candidates to Detect Mental Health Problems

(NaturalNews) A neuropsychiatrist who runs a chain of private brain-scanning clinics has issued a call to scan the brains of presidential candidates in an opinion piece published in the Los Angeles Times.

Dr. Daniel G. Amen is the chief executive officer of the Amen Clinics, which carry out brain scans in order to diagnose and manage everything from physical brain trauma to anxiety, depression, school failure, underachievement, aggression, obsessive compulsive disorder and the effects of drugs and alcohol.

The American Psychiatric Association does not currently recommend brain scans for clinical or diagnostic purposes.

In the article, Amen says that brain scans could help warn of mental abnormalities that voters need to know about before electing someone to high office. He compares such scans to the complete medical history of the president that the White House issues each year, or to the questions about the health and age of candidates that are often debated during elections.

"As a neuropsychiatrist and brain-imaging expert, I want our elected leaders to be some of the 'brain healthiest people' in the land," Amen writes.

Amen notes that President Ronald Reagan clearly exhibited the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease during his second term, which led to unelected officials taking over the reigns of government. Brain examinations, he says, have shown success in detecting Alzheimer's between five and nine years before symptoms appear - which, in Reagan's case, would have been before his first term in office.

Amen also questions whether Clinton or the current president might not have brain abnormalities.

"President Clinton's moral lapses and problems with bad judgment and excitement seeking behavior," Amen writes, are "indicative of problems in the prefrontal cortex."

Meanwhile, President George W. Bush's "struggles with language and emotional rigidity are symptoms of temporal lobe pathology."

"Maybe we shouldn't leave the health of our president's brain to chance," Amen says. "We have the tools; shouldn't we look?"

See: Source

I wonder how many potential candidates this could eliminate? happy.gif
Karlis

#2    Cradle of Fish

Cradle of Fish

Alien Abducter

• 4,583 posts

• "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:58 AM

If Meglomania can be detected I think we can eliminate 99% of them.

I am not a man, merely a parody of one.

#3    -Jaded.Silhouette-

-Jaded.Silhouette-

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

• "...what is truth for us today may be just a stepping stone to a higher understanding that may be given to us tomorrow." -Jwnody

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:07 AM

Before you know it, we'll all have brain problems! I stutter sometimes... what does that mean!? I like to speed, and sometimes do make bad judgements. Does that mean I have the same problem as Clinton?

Okay, silliness over. Honestly, I think this would give us a good insight -- but unless it's a serious defect, all I see is paranoia running through the voter's minds. Like, let's vote for So-and-So. Oh no, can't do that. They might get Alzheimer's.

#4    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

McCain would be eliminated - he's already half senile. He contradicts his own arguments sometimes!

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#5    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Non gender specific

• 25,667 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:10 AM

brain scan of the current occupant of the post....

... hello? anyone there?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#6    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:23 AM

Dowdy on Jul 8 2008, 03:05 AM, said:

McCain would be eliminated - he's already half senile. He contradicts his own arguments sometimes!

And what is Barack's excuse?

They already went through medical tests and released their charts already I believe and they were found to be in good health.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#7    chemical-licker

chemical-licker

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

ohmy.gif brain scan,  

linked-image

#8    Mr Honeybadger

Mr Honeybadger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

It really surprised me when I found out that George Bush and better test scores than John Kerry.

I never expected that.

#9    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

__Kratos__ on Jul 8 2008, 09:23 AM, said:

And what is Barack's excuse?

They already went through medical tests and released their charts already I believe and they were found to be in good health.

He just a lap dog and does what the people want to hear.

America is screwed either way

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#10    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,910 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

i think you have to be a bit mental to want the job in the first place, who wants all that aggro and worries 24/7. no sane person,

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users