Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Horror Remakes Discussion

the evil dead remake carrie

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

• Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

Now, I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up in a previous post, but has anyone seen the trailer for the remake of Evil Dead? What about Carrie?
I'm not much of a fan for remakes, because most of them are total crap and are either shot for shot from the original, or are mixed with unoriginal ideas that everybody has seen.
But I am actually quite looking forward to these two remakes.

Evil Dead, in my opinion, looks brutal. And I know that there's a difference between true horror, and horror that splashes gore in your face for 2 hours straight, but this movie seems promising.
The trailer made me extremely uncomfortable and I like it. I love movies that can have that power over someone, and keep them wanting more.

Carrie, on the other hand, is a bit less than I expected. I know we are still at the first trailer for both, and I'm not saying it isn't good, but I think they could have done a bit more with the trailer. I will still watch it, and I hope it isn't a mistake like watching the TV remake that they came out with awhile back. But I have a feeling it will be a whole lot better than most remakes nowadays.

Evil Dead - Redband Trailer

Carrie Trailer

So, with my opinions on the new remake trailers out there, I have a question for you guys...
What horror movie remake was your favorite? What one(s) do you dislike the most?

Leave the door to your mind open, and the world will walk in.

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

I think most remakes lose it in the translation.

#3    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

View PostHilander, on 31 December 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

I think most remakes lose it in the translation.

I agree. Like beating a dead horse.

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:19 AM

Evil dead thread already exists .Carrie has been discussed

Miss me?

#5    ImaLoner

ImaLoner

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

I am a die-hard fan of the Evil Dead Trilogy - and I have a nerd crush on Bruce Campbell.  I do look forward to seeing the remake.  I think since Bruce had a hand in it, it will be good.  My hope for it is that it doesn't lose the humor aspect.  That's what makes the first one - and the sequels so great!  I doubt that it will surpass the original, but I hope it comes close.  I'm also a fan of the original Carrie.  I'm a little less sure about the remake after seeing the trailer, but I will still watch it.  In terms of favorite remakes, I'd have to say that one of my favorites is Halloween.  I know that it strayed from the original, but, that was Rob Zombie's vision (and I am of the opinion that every horror film he's done to date has been absolutely amazing).  I didn't mind the differences in it, and at times, I liked the differences more.  I have to say that the Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty awesome too.  I wasn't disappointed with it at all.  As for dislikes.. Hmmm.. Despite the fact that the Friday the 13th remake had Jared Padalecki in it (and I like him), I was displeased with the film as a whole.  I found none of what appealed to me most in the first film.  I absolutely HATED The Omen remake.  It's a film like which begs the question, why bother remaking it?  Same goes for The Amityville Horror.  I watched the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead.. Now, that one... That paled in comparison, but it had some redeeming qualities - like the fact that Tony Todd was in it (big plus whenever I see him in a film) and Barbara wasn't just a whiny comatose victim.  She got out there and kicked some butt!  That was a major improvement over the original, but the feel of it wasn't quite as good.  Sorry, lol  I can go on and on about horror films.  The horror film I'm most looking forward to seeing is the remake of Suspiria once they get it started (and finished).  Curiosity alone deems it so.  :)

#6    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostImaLoner, on 31 December 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

I am a die-hard fan of the Evil Dead Trilogy - and I have a nerd crush on Bruce Campbell.  I do look forward to seeing the remake.  I think since Bruce had a hand in it, it will be good.  My hope for it is that it doesn't lose the humor aspect.  That's what makes the first one - and the sequels so great!  I doubt that it will surpass the original, but I hope it comes close.  I'm also a fan of the original Carrie.  I'm a little less sure about the remake after seeing the trailer, but I will still watch it.  In terms of favorite remakes, I'd have to say that one of my favorites is Halloween.  I know that it strayed from the original, but, that was Rob Zombie's vision (and I am of the opinion that every horror film he's done to date has been absolutely amazing).  I didn't mind the differences in it, and at times, I liked the differences more.  I have to say that the Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty awesome too.  I wasn't disappointed with it at all.  As for dislikes.. Hmmm.. Despite the fact that the Friday the 13th remake had Jared Padalecki in it (and I like him), I was displeased with the film as a whole.  I found none of what appealed to me most in the first film.  I absolutely HATED The Omen remake.  It's a film like which begs the question, why bother remaking it?  Same goes for The Amityville Horror.  I watched the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead.. Now, that one... That paled in comparison, but it had some redeeming qualities - like the fact that Tony Todd was in it (big plus whenever I see him in a film) and Barbara wasn't just a whiny comatose victim.  She got out there and kicked some butt!  That was a major improvement over the original, but the feel of it wasn't quite as good.  Sorry, lol  I can go on and on about horror films.  The horror film I'm most looking forward to seeing is the remake of Suspiria once they get it started (and finished).  Curiosity alone deems it so.  :)

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=235848

And Argento himself ,gave the Supiria remake his blessing . I don't see ow it can be redone ,with the true mood of the film captured.
Today's audiences just wouldn't get it .

Miss me?

#7    ImaLoner

ImaLoner

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 31 December 2012 - 04:34 AM, said:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=235848

And Argento himself ,gave the Supiria remake his blessing . I don't see ow it can be redone ,with the true mood of the film captured.
Today's audiences just wouldn't get it .

Yep Simbi.. I agree.  I am just so darned curious to see what they will do with it.  I may throw popcorn at the screen throughout, but I just gotta see!!  :D

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

View PostImaLoner, on 31 December 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

Yep Simbi.. I agree.  I am just so darned curious to see what they will do with it.  I may throw popcorn at the screen throughout, but I just gotta see!!  :D
I have an article somewhere....hold on .I know posted it on my FB

Miss me?

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

http://www.geeksofdo...-going-forward/
The cast is ...I dunno

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034415/

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 31 December 2012 - 04:52 AM.

Miss me?

#10    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 31 December 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

Evil dead thread already exists .Carrie has been discussed

I didn't know. Apologies.

#11    RebelInsanity

RebelInsanity

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

View PostImaLoner, on 31 December 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

I absolutely agree. I am a die hard fan of Zombies' movies, and I really loved Halloween. His vision was great, and even though it had much controversy pertaining to Michael'd background, I can understand what he was getting at.
We see alot of people with screwed up backgrounds doing things like this, but at least he gave Michael a much needed back story instead of making him supernatural.

I hated The Omen as well, because that was one of the movies that were LITERALLY shot for shot to the original. I dont see the purpose of remaking it if they werent going to go anywhere different.

The only real remakes I enjoyed were Halloween, Halloween II, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, The Crazies, Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, Prom Night, House of Wax, The Last House on the Left (Which in my opinion was better than the original.), I Spit on Your Grave, and The Uninvited.
A long list, I know. And not all of them were their best, but they were pretty good and well worth the watch.

#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

OH MY GOD ! YOUR AVI !
* rolling giggling*

Miss me?

#13    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 31 December 2012 - 07:19 AM, said:

I didn't know. Apologies.

It's ok. I posted it so you could check it out .The Carrie discussion is on a thread about something else though.I forget which one.
Consensus was ,we aren't too hopeful it will be good.

Miss me?

#14    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,031 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Not a fan of remakes, but no one forces me to watch them. I can still think the original is better. Have at it, I say, hopefully it'll teach Hollywood to, ya know, come up with NEW STUFF instead of rehashing the same ol'shizz.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#15    ImaLoner

ImaLoner

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Closed
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

View Postlittle.wolf96, on 31 December 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I absolutely agree. I am a die hard fan of Zombies' movies, and I really loved Halloween. His vision was great, and even though it had much controversy pertaining to Michael'd background, I can understand what he was getting at.
We see alot of people with screwed up backgrounds doing things like this, but at least he gave Michael a much needed back story instead of making him supernatural.

I hated The Omen as well, because that was one of the movies that were LITERALLY shot for shot to the original. I dont see the purpose of remaking it if they werent going to go anywhere different.

The only real remakes I enjoyed were Halloween, Halloween II, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, The Crazies, Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, Prom Night, House of Wax, The Last House on the Left (Which in my opinion was better than the original.), I Spit on Your Grave, and The Uninvited.
A long list, I know. And not all of them were their best, but they were pretty good and well worth the watch.

The point of all these remakes is to pull fans of the originals - and the ones who have never seen the originals - in to get more money from them.  Black Christmas was a pretty good remake.  It has its good points.  I didn't like the Nightmare on Elm Street.  I was disturbed by the changes.  To me, only Robert Englund can be Freddie.  I grew up with those movies and watching Freddie's Nightmares.  The Crazies was a pretty good remake, also.  The Hills Have Eyes was not too bad.  Prom Night, I liked, but I still prefer the original.  House of Wax... Well, Jared Padalecki was in it, and that alone made it worth watching (I liked that remake with him in it much better than Friday the 13th, of course).  Now, with Last House on the Left... I liked the original better.  The remake was okay.. I think the original was just grittier and more disturbing to me.  Some scenes in the original, I did have to turn my head, for the sheer brutality of it.  But, overall, the way the storyline progressed was better, imo.

Also tagged with the, evil, dead, remake, carrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users