Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Humans have stopped evolving

evolving natural selection sir david attenborough

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#46    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 September 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

Well, the paleontological record shows that dominant species don't evolve that much anymore, the shark, for example, has hardly evolved in a few million years. And the reason is quire simple: It does not need to adapt to a new ecological niche. It is dominant in its own.
This is a good point, and probably we fall into that category too.  That doesn't mean that humans won't evolve, but that such a large interbreeding population won't change much except on the edges (where fossils are less likely because of smaller populations).

#47    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:29 PM

Evolution hasn't stopped at all, humans haven't gained control over the process we've only had a hundred years of modern technology, less than a hundred years knowledge of DNA and less than a hundred years of birth control. Given that there hasn't been enough time to bring evolution under any real control aside from minor adjustments here and there. One pandemic on the order of the Spanish flu (or worse) could knock all of human society back to the dark ages in a matter of months. I don't see where our grasp of evolution is so much in our control as much as we like to think.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#48    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

The point is not that evolution is under our control but that large interbreeding populations tend to stay unchanged for considerable periods of time.

#49    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,349 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Humans are evolving mentally,and physically, but some don't use their brains,and some let their body's become physical wrecks, end of debate.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#50    RacerX13

RacerX13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

Evolution has as much fact behind it as creationism.  Both are theories.

#51    Alaric

Alaric

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:32 AM

Humans have definitely NOT stopped evolving... it's just that it's not readily apparent from the outside.  

Though I have the same basic set of physical equipment, the level at which I perceive and interact with the universe can be light years away from someone else. Evolution is still happening in the realm of ideas and ways of thinking.  We don't grow a third arm, but we develop new and more advanced ways of describing and dealing with the world around us.

Edited by Alaric, 09 October 2013 - 01:33 AM.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." —Thomas Jefferson

#52    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,798 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostRacerX13, on 08 October 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Is that what they teach you in Texas?

#53    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,424 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostRacerX13, on 08 October 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Great point bro!

But only if you lived in a cave, with no access to educational books, the internet or even a dictionary.

However, you don't live in a cave. Such a mentally malnourished stance is utterly inexcusable, given the materials that are at your fingertips.

They are not both theories. And they do not have the same amount of "fact" behind them.

Do some reading.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#54    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 10 October 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Great point bro!

But only if you lived in a cave, with no access to educational books, the internet or even a dictionary.

However, you don't live in a cave. Such a mentally malnourished stance is utterly inexcusable, given the materials that are at your fingertips.

They are not both theories. And they do not have the same amount of "fact" behind them.

Do some reading.

Oh like we have evidence for evolution of anatomicly modern human? My advice is to you do some reading.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#55    Whisperer

Whisperer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

"Round and round the 'Merry - go - round' and up and down we go...
One step, two steps and nobody's in the know"

But I think the Creationists have got it partially right, something made us...(insert X-files music)
Something pulled us down from the trees and re-engineered us...several times...
So Sapiens is the last of a line that may continue to be 'improved' upon but evolved?
Nah, in your dreams :)

Speaking of which....Hows the new theory that Australian Aborigines were the original template for us all?

Cool beans in my view... (*sets the kindling up and withdraws into the dark* do do do do..x2 *exclamation sharp!)

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#56    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

Technology and Culture Adaptation is evolution. It is an evolutional step that all sentinel life goes through, basically we take the best of culture and technology, we add it to our lives to make it easier. Unlike natural evolution, we have control of when and how things happen. Difference between them that natural evolution effects our bodies while social and technical evolution effects how we interact with the world. Natural Evolution of humans is still happening, just on a smaller scale, our evolution just slowed down to a crawl compared to other animals that are currently evolving at a much faster rate.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 14 October 2013 - 01:38 AM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#57    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,105 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostUncle Sam, on 14 October 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

Technology and Culture Adaptation is evolution. It is an evolutional step that all sentinel life goes through, basically we take the best of culture and technology, we add it to our lives to make it easier. Unlike natural evolution, we have control of when and how things happen. Difference between them that natural evolution effects our bodies while social and technical evolution effects how we interact with the world. Natural Evolution of humans is still happening, just on a smaller scale, our evolution just slowed down to a crawl compared to other animals that are currently evolving at a much faster rate.
Natural evolution is only happening through genetic drift and mate selection processes. Natural selection isn't really happening for us anymore as we don't adapt to our environment but adapt our environment to us. This doesn't mean that genetic engineering won't happen

#58    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,366 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 12 October 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Oh like we have evidence for evolution of anatomicly modern human? My advice is to you do some reading.

Voodoo, 'anatomically modern humans' comprises the entirety of the last c.200,000 years. Absolutely, we have evidence of evolution in humans in that timeframe. Genetically we've evolved from one maternal or paternal haplogroup to dozens. In some groups we've also evolved the ability to process lactose, making those individuals more lactose tolerant. As well as some blond hair, or blue eyes or lighter/white skin. Our lower jaws and musculature aren't as robust as they once were either as we no longer require such for chewing the tougher food items as we once did. All of these are evolutionary changes of which I'm sure Emma is already aware.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#59    Rolci

Rolci

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostBig Bad Voodoo, on 12 October 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Assuming you meant "anatomically" (-cly doesn't look like a typo to me) my reply would be to suggest you do the same. http://www.the-scien...pt-to-Icy-Life/ to help get you kickstarted. And when you've done enough reading maybe you'll learn to spell too!

Edited by Rolci, 12 November 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Best piece of truth I have found so far: http://llresearch.or...of_one_pdf.aspx
A truly free society: https://sites.google...t-economy-today
The true history of our planet: http://www.floating-...rth_history.htm
Dialogues with The Absolute: unveiledsecretsandmessagesoflight.blogspot (dot) co (dot) uk/2011/08/eon-11aug2010.html
A wealth of metaphysical readings with a surprisingly high ratio of truth content: soulwise (dot) net/index-00.htm

#60    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

View Postdarkmoonlady, on 14 September 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Evolution hasn't stopped at all, humans haven't gained control over the process we've only had a hundred years of modern technology, less than a hundred years knowledge of DNA and less than a hundred years of birth control. Given that there hasn't been enough time to bring evolution under any real control aside from minor adjustments here and there. One pandemic on the order of the Spanish flu (or worse) could knock all of human society back to the dark ages in a matter of months. I don't see where our grasp of evolution is so much in our control as much as we like to think.

Your wrong.  We made a stronger human during the seventeen and early eighteen hundreds.  Through selective breeding.  The slaves were breed to produce strong and healhy slaves.  Todays african-americans still reap the benefits from that in sports.

But, that is not evolution. No more o than the different breeds of dogs or cats are.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users