Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#346    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,118 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 10 February 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

Lol, I'm no expert that's for sure.. Thank's for the Kudo's though..

That's Awesome!!!!!!!! :clap:
The "Overwhelimg Urge" was your Ego going "WTF!!! Where am I on this list!!"
What an awesome example of Ego in action.. :lol: & Ego controlling you..

You migh be right...
:P
I am finding that when I make posts that are honest, from the true self, and ignoring other peoples ego's that I dont get any likes at all..
I've been trying to post without Ego.. When this happens, err, well, some of my posts could easily be misinterpreted as offensive or even as flaimebaiting..

Edited to add: Let's face it, sometimes we edit our comments down because we don't want to offend or bruise someones ego... but what we really want to say cannot be said without offending Ego's half the time.. well, at least I know I do..

I mostly post silly stuff - it's just my nature, and I try very hard to not get caught up in verbal hissy fits with people whose posts I might happen to not agree with... Still, I try to be (basically) honest with my opinions - when I give them...  And using Expand's formula on my posts it seems that people like 'silly stuff'... But you are right - It does seem that the majority of us edit our comments down for one reason or another... Perhaps we are basically 'non-confrontational' - or perhaps -deep down- we realize that there is little to be gained by getting into an ego contest with a person who is essentially a nameless stranger that we will most likely never actually meet...

Not that I wouldn't like to meet any of you... I'm just not sure if I can live up to the 'hype'... (my antlers are not nearly so large as my avatar might suggest   :( )

#347    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 February 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

I can't understand all the posters who are getting their collective knickers in a knot about 'likes' ....... has it never occurred to you that the people giving you 'likes' could well be real d!*ks, whose opinions you despise? :lol:

Hahahaha i only like something if i agree or get a good laugh out of it.Though on 1 or 2 topics i have done exactly what you just described gave a like just to be a arrogant *ss haha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#348    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 11 February 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

I can't understand all the posters who are getting their collective knickers in a knot about 'likes' ....... has it never occurred to you that the people giving you 'likes' could well be real d!*ks, whose opinions you despise? :lol:
Damn it!  You figured out my schmiel!

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#349    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,455 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

There are a lot of people's posts I like but don't hit the like button...mainly because I'm not logged in.

I don't think the like button should be used as a popularity contest. If you particularly agree with something someone says...that's fine, but to like someone's every post simply because you are friends with them seems to defeat the purpose.

I have logged in just to "like" an exceptional post though.

#350    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,396 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostMichelle, on 11 February 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

There are a lot of people's posts I like but don't hit the like button...mainly because I'm not logged in.

I don't think the like button should be used as a popularity contest. If you particularly agree with something someone says...that's fine, but to like someone's every post simply because you are friends with them seems to defeat the purpose.

I have logged in just to "like" an exceptional post though

am waiting ego expectantly for the like.. :lol:

Know what you mean about using the like button for particular posts.. There was one occasion where I read something, liked it, then realised that the person who wrote it was a right moron who I've never agreed with.. :lol:  (that's when I discovered you can un-like)

#351    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,455 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 11 February 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

am waiting ego expectantly for the like.. :lol:

Know what you mean about using the like button for particular posts.. There was one occasion where I read something, liked it, then realised that the person who wrote it was a right moron who I've never agreed with.. :lol:  (that's when I discovered you can un-like)

You got your like.. :st

I'm glad I'm not the only one.. :whistle:

Edited by Michelle, 11 February 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#352    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

Well, now, how to be liked.

Never disagree.  If you can't agree fully, emphasize the points of agreement and soften, soften, soften.  If you agree, say so and then add further supporting argument.

If the guy's an SOB or an idiot, don't respond.

Be inspiring and humorous.  Hopefully both.

Be brief.  Long messages, no matter how good, only get read by the regulars.  Use short sentences and paragraphs, but don't number or bullet things.

Be generous with your own "likes," even when the message is marginal.

Be humble.  Never be dogmatic.

Be polite.

Don't use non-standard styles or grammar or whatever.  At the same time take care your English is not too perfect.  Be colloquial.

Enjoy yourself.

Of course, by doing all these things, you may not actually say much, but at least people will like you.

#353    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 February 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Never disagree.  If you can't agree fully, emphasize the points of agreement and soften, soften, soften.  If you agree, say so and then add further supporting argument.

Be brief.  Long messages, no matter how good, only get read by the regulars.  Use short sentences and paragraphs, but don't number or bullet things.

Be polite.

Don't use non-standard styles or grammar or whatever.  At the same time take care your English is not too perfect.  Be colloquial.

Enjoy yourself.

Of course, by doing all these things, you may not actually say much, but at least people will like you.

Did you rip off those rules from the miss america pageant frank? hahaha jk

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#354    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

Well I'm good at making rules.  Actually observing them is the hard part.

#355    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 February 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Well I'm good at making rules.  Actually observing them is the hard part.

Hahaha you have been here about the same amount of time as me,sometimes when i post something then you post i feel like a tv show when one is sitting there with a angel on one  shoulder and a devil on the other shoulder.You always say what the good side should say,the other side i listen to equally,then being the hard headed *ss i am i just say what's in my head lmao hahaha

#356    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 11 February 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

Hahaha you have been here about the same amount of time as me,
Well then it's obvious I post too much.

#357    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 February 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Be polite.

Enjoy yourself.

Enjoying myself is the main goal...I don't come here looking for drama.

I am always to the point...short and sweet.

I can almost always find a common ground we can agree on.

I've been here long enough to know who not to bother arguing with...it's a lost cause.

I don't waste my time on idiots.

I don't spend precious time arguing with people and trying to convert them to my way of thinking.

I give my opinion and that's pretty much it.

Take me or leave me...I don't care. :tu:

#358    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 February 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

Well then it's obvious I post too much.

LMAO nahhh i enjoy reading other's thoughts and opinions more than stating my own most of the time.Here recently training has picked up so most of my ability to go back and forth on opinions has been used up trying to either hit or try not to be hit haha

#359    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostMichelle, on 11 February 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

Enjoying myself is the main goal...I don't come here looking for drama.

I am always to the point...short and sweet.

I can almost always find a common ground we can agree on.

I've been here long enough to know who not to bother arguing with...it's a lost cause.

I don't waste my time on idiots.

I don't spend precious time arguing with people and trying to convert them to my way of thinking.

I give my opinion and that's pretty much it.

Take me or leave me...I don't care. :tu:

Same here michelle if it cant be done face to face "arguing'is pointless just have a good debate!

#360    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 11 February 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

Same here michelle if it cant be done face to face "arguing'is pointless just have a good debate!

At the risk of only looking for more "likes" i agree with you. :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users