Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lies Your Parents Told You

NosmoKing

I was wondering about lies your parents (or teachers/older-siblings/doctors/older-kids-in-school) told you when you were a kid. Lies which you believed because they were in a position of authority. They don't have to be bad lies - sometimes adults joke around, not realising the kid takes them seriously; or an older sibling tells a whopper to mess with their little bro/sis.

Some things told to me: when I was little my dad told me there was a button next to the steering wheel of our car, which when pushed would eject the backseat (where my younger brother and I sat). Dad said it was a safety measure in case of car accidents. Our car was a jeep with a soft-top, so at my young age (with absolutely no car knowledge) this seemed possible, maybe... And my brother believed it completely. Lots of times if we were acting up dad threatened to eject us if we didn't calm down.

: my English teacher told me the rhyme Ring a Ring o' Roses was about the bubonic plague (although he believed this, he wasn't just messing with me).

: when my nephews were really young, dad told them a tiger used to live in our unfinished basement (more of an old, creepy dirt-room used to store junk/tools). Mum and I also went along with this tiger story as my youngest nephew was really into the 'history' of our 'tiger' and asked about it every time he came around. The story seemed to grow and grow over the years, before he realised it wasn't real.

So as a child, what lies did your parents/teachers/older-siblings/doctors/neighbours tell you? It can be lies told to scare you or mess with you; or lies that they believed but were misinformed about (like my teacher who didn't know Ring a Ring o' Roses was an urban legend). And did you ever tell any lies to someone younger than you?

Edited by NosmoKing

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NosmoKing

• Black Hound

• Dag Green

• Mistydawn

Mom once told me god was real.

I had a great many people tell me god was real. :devil::innocent:

I always remember that when we ate Watermelon, my mum would tell us as kids that Watermelon vines would grow out of our belly's if we swallowed the seeds.

And when i was really little she used to tell me that if i didn't stop playing with myself, it would fall off and she would feed it to the pet fish.

And my older sister used to tell me that if i lied the police would turn up and collect me as i was adopted and when the police first dropped me off they said keep him until he started lying, then call us and we will collect him becasue he is bad. Evil woman! This was said everytime i was going to tell on her for something and she would turn it around and say they will think you are lying. Evil woman! lol

ShelleyMarsh.jpg

And when i was really little she used to tell me that if i didn't stop playing with myself, it would fall off and she would feed it to the pet fish.

Ha! I heard that hair would grow on my palms.

And my older sister used to tell me that if i lied the police would turn up and collect me as i was adopted and when the police first dropped me off they said keep him until he started lying, then call us and we will collect him becasue he is bad. Evil woman! This was said everytime i was going to tell on her for something and she would turn it around and say they will think you are lying. Evil woman! lol

ShelleyMarsh.jpg

What a sister ;) . I was lucky that I was the oldest (except for my half-sister who was too old to bother messing with my mind). I never really messed with my younger brother, but I did enjoy watching dad mess with his innocent young mind.

My mom hated when I would go near her garden, so she told me monsters lived there.

Also, when I was very young, I asked my dad why the bottom part of a casket was always closed. I suggested it was because their legs had been chopped off. He agreed since he wasn't paying any attention. It took me years to realize it wasn't true.

The biggest lie my parents told me (and they probably didn't even know it was a lie) was that if you were a good person, worked hard, treated others well, that your life would turn out to be good/happy. I'm not sorry I took their advice (it's certainly the right way to live), but it simply doesn't work out that way for everyone.

I heard the watermelon seed one.

As for the other, no falling off or hair on my palmsg I was gonna go blind.

This is making me think about what all I may be saying to my kids without thinking???

Oh yeah sitting close to the tv was gonna make me blind.

Boy all the good stuff was hard on the eyes.

Thanks mom.

LOL, the watermelon one is good!!! My mom tells my sisters that if they frown that their faces would stay like that. Or if you pick your nose your finger will get stuck lol. :lol:

The biggest lie my parents told me (and they probably didn't even know it was a lie) was that if you were a good person, worked hard, treated others well, that your life would turn out to be good/happy. I'm not sorry I took their advice (it's certainly the right way to live), but it simply doesn't work out that way for everyone.

Yes, this is true. Justice does not aways prevail in this lifetime.

As for lies:

Coffee will stunt your growth as a child. Didn't happen for me. I'm slightly above average in height.

Gum will take seven years to digest if you swallow it.

No swimming after eating. This was not a problem for me.

There's lots more that I have forgotten.

That if I didn't go to Mass and confession regularly I'd go to hell.

Nice way to scare the crap out of a little kid isn't it?

Instead of a watermelon, we were told oranges or grapes would grow in our stomachs if we swallowed the seeds. Back then, grapes had seeds. Also, a stupid one my brother told me. If he was getting a glass of juice or something, I'd get him to get me one too. But he'd get me a smaller glass. Then he would say that there's the same amount in both glasses because there was the same amount of space at the top....for some reason I never caught on.

Whenever my Mom didn't want to do something when I was young she would always say " i can't right now, I have a bone in my leg." I felt like a fool when I finally figured that one out! :blush:

I had an older sister who once told me about a supposed serial killer who lived in an old chicken coupe at the end of our yard.

:unsure: At bedtime, my parents would say that the monsters would get me if I didn't go to sleep. Which only made it worse cause I would be up most of the night after they scared me like that.

This brings back a lot of the lies I heard and forgot. at least im not the only one that fell for these things. :-)

I can't remember all of them but besides the watermelon one and a few others my grandma use to say that if we were bad the devil would pull our hair at night. My mom also said that if we lied our noses would grow.

I told my younger brother and his friend that a witch was out to get them and the only way to protect themselves was to stand back to back in a ring of salt. They did that for about 2 hours before they started to question whether or not I was lying. :lol:

My parents told me that when I grew up i'd be strong and handsome and rich.

Zero from three....pfft.

Too many to recall, most revolving around religion. In the end they weren't meant to be harmful, so the angst created at realizing the deception faded.

May 18th 1980, the day before my fifth birthday, Mt. St. Helens erupted.

My grandpa looked at me and said, " See what happens when you turn five?"

I believed him until I was 10.

I was a very chatty kid with a million questions and my folks told me that one day you will run out of questions and will never be able to speak again :angry:

The best lie my parents ever told me was the this is gonna hurt me more the it does you one.

Although I never did buy that one.