Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do skeptics investigate the Paranormal?

Pluto-x

I have a good question...

Why do skeptics investigate the Paranormal? If you don't believe in the paranormal, what rewards do you reap out of the field? Are you out to prove there is nothing out there? Me personally, I do not understand why skeptics get involved in the paranormal. It kind of defeats the purpose. I am not out there to fool myself, or any of my clients either. I investigate the paranormal because I'd like to know what there is to look forward to after you pass away. Our energy must go somewhere, and I'd like to know where our spirit goes. I refuse to believe that when we pass away there is just emptiness or nothing. I think even skeptics have to admit there is something out there. :hmm:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pluto-x

• coldethyl

• JackalnChainz

• spiridion

Easy. being a skeptic doesn't necessarily mean that we aren't open to the possibility that such things exist. (Not all skeptics are here to "debunk" others' findings or posts, but to learn.) The chance that these occurences might possibly exist is fascinating and exciting, but as a skeptic, I am doubtful. Make sense? ;)

Well, i agree with spiridion. Skeptics are here to prove that things are false, but they have also hope to see something that can not be explained by any means. ^_^

No, I meant I am not here to prove things are false.

Why do skeptics investigate the Paranormal? If you don't believe in the paranormal, what rewards do you reap out of the field? Are you out to prove there is nothing out there? Me personally, I do not understand why skeptics get involved in the paranormal. It kind of defeats the purpose. I am not out there to fool myself, or any of my clients either. I investigate the paranormal because I'd like to know what there is to look forward to after you pass away. Our energy must go somewhere, and I'd like to know where our spirit goes. I refuse to believe that when we pass away there is just emptiness or nothing. I think even skeptics have to admit there is something out there. :hmm:

Good choice of topic to post Pluto-x. :tu:

Personally I find that there are a mixture of skeptics, those who maintain an open mind, neither choosing to believe nor disbelieve & those that just wish to debunk everything & cast doubts on your credibility.

I believe a certain amount of skepticism is a healthy thing, having been on numerous paranormal investigations & observing people rolling around left, right & centre, trying to convince others (& themselves) that they were possessed, mimicing a certain Mr Acorah. :D

As I'm sure you'll agree, all the possible rational & mundane explanations have to always be ruled out first, before we can even start thinking in terms of possible paranormal explanations.

Skeptics also help to play an actve role in exposing fakes & con artists who are out to make money from the gullibility of some.

It all boils down to credibility at the end of the day, even the most compelling evidence could easily claim to be tampered with or photoshopped nowadays. Personally I investigate the paranormal for my own reasons & believe what I experience that is real to me. I enjoy sharing my findings with others if they find it interesting, but have no desire to convince anyone of anything & if a rational explanation that I hadn't considered can be offered, I am always happy to take that into consideration. :)

As for the skeptic that replied to this post I have a healthy respect. Because they admit that most of them would like to experience a real paranormal event. I can not respect the ones who say everything is false and everyone is making things up or imagined their own experiences. Those are the ones who I have no idea what they are doing here at paranormal forum. Why are they here??

I believe skeptics and believers share two characteristics, #1 curiosity #2 wanting proof. I think everyone on this board and other Paranormal boards, are very curious, and I think its for one reason only, and that is, we all want to know or at least see some proof, that when we die, we dont just go 6 feet under and decay. I also believe as we get older we question our own mortality, making us more interested in what happens to us, once we pass. Some are more open to possibilities than others, sometimes due to the fact they have never been thru a paranormal experience, but enjoy reading about those who have, but will still question its validity. I believe we all want to feel comfort for those we have lost, and for ourselves, because to many, the thought of dying is totally frightening. It boils down to the fear of the unknown, for all of us. Die hard skeptics, wont change their mind no matter what photo they see, what EVP they hear or what possible apparation is posted. But I think they "want" to believe there is more out there, or they wouldnt be here in the first place..JN

I tend to believe that everything is possible. However and this is a big however, I do not necessarily believe everything I am told. If someone were to say that they were able to teleport themselves at will to wherever they wished I would probably look at them as if they had lost their marbles :lol:

It is good if skeptics research the paranormal, it is also good if believers do the research too, this creates a balance and is not just one-sided, one way or the other.

Edited by Lotus Flower

It comes down to proof. I will will jump for joy they day some of these things are proven, but for people to believe with nothing more than stories is silly. Thats called faith, and for some believers the paranormal has become their religion.

It comes down to proof. I will will jump for joy they day some of these things are proven, but for people to believe with nothing more than stories is silly. Thats called faith, and for some believers the paranormal has become their religion.

we once had the faith to believe the earth was not flat, and now look at us. geez is so hard to see, we really dont know the truth

As an open minded paranormal researcher talking politely to a skeptic, outside of recreating something under laboratory conditions, I am curious what you would consider as providing proof?

I agree that some people take hearsay too easily at face value, but there is a balance to be struck.

My point here is that it would be extremely difficult to recreate a paranormal event under strictly observed & controlled conditions & would not be any more realistic than expecting to find a meteorite land in your garden.

The only way you would know for sure, is if you experienced it for yourself, without entering a state of denial. :tu:

Edited by Arcana

As an open minded paranormal researcher talking politely to a skeptic, outside of recreating something under laboratory conditions, I am curious what you would consider as providing proof?

I agree that some people take hearsay too easily at face value, but there is a balance to be struck.

My point here is that it is highly unlikely that recreating a paranormal event under strictly observed & controlled conditions,. may not be any more practical than expecting to find a meteorite land in your garden.

The only way you would know for sure, is if you experienced it for yourself, without entering a state of denial. :tu:

If it cannot be repeatable or measured in some way then, it would be hard for me to believe it. I have experieced things. It is on my link in my signature, but I look for a logical explanation. For this field to be taken seriously(thats what I want so something real might be found), there needs to be proof of some sort, not just blurry pics or fantastical stories.

If it cannot be repeatable or measured in some way then, it would be hard for me to believe it. I have experieced things. It is on my link in my signature, but I look for a logical explanation. For this field to be taken seriously(thats what I want so something real might be found), there needs to be proof of some sort, not just blurry pics or fantastical stories.

I'm with you on accepting nothing more than stories or unclear images, but a chance encounter with something paranormal is not an everyday event for most & thus could not be recreated.

Do you accept that comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 collided with Jupiter, as that can't be recreated either, or was that a con................you see my point?

You respect the honesty, integrity & reliability of some sources of information above others, which ultimately comes back to faith & belief. Even the most well defined ghostly image captured, or the clearest of EVP recordings could easily be photoshopped or created by someone who wants to con others, which is why I stated the only acceptable proof will be your own experience. :tu:

I'm with you on accepting nothing more than stories or unclear images, but a chance encounter with something paranormal is not an everyday event for most & thus could not be recreated.

Do you accept that comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 collided with Jupiter, as that can't be recreated either, or was that a con................you see my point?

You respect the honesty, integrity & reliability of some sources of information above others, which ultimately comes back to faith & belief. Even the most well defined ghostly image captured, or the clearest of EVP recordings could easily be photoshopped or created by someone who wants to con others, which is why I stated the only acceptable proof will be your own experience. :tu:

so well put. :tu: Looks for fan club membership card for Arcana the great. :no: cant find it so i guess i will reapply. :)

so well put. :tu: Looks for fan club membership card for Arcana the great. :no: cant find it so i guess i will reapply. :)

LOL........hey wolfie, our fan club sits around a round table...................one where we are all equal & our individual views respected, you are already a valued member. :tu:;)

This is an excellent topic indeed and one that is long overdue...skeptics provide a necessary balance, none of us can dispute this, right?... yet they are often viewed as mean spirited, party poopers when in many cases they are contributing their "proof based" ideology in a courteous fashion ...it's an unpopular role, but I often wonder just how much my imagination would have completely ran away with me a few times if it wasn't for reality check here ...

did that sound sincere? :sm

halfhandshuffle:Skid Row - Slave to the Grind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSKIbWDqS8

Edited by Barek Halfhand

Maybe it's because they like arguing.

this is an excellent topic indeed and one that is long overdue...skeptics provide a necessary balance none of us can dispute, right?... yet they are often viewed as mean spirited, party poopers when in many cases they are contributing their "proof based" ideology in a courteous fashion ...it's an unpopular role, yet I often wonder just how much my imagination would have completely ran away with me a few times if it wasn't for reality check here ...

did that sound sincere? :sm

halfhandshuffle:Skid Row - Slave to the Grind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSKIbWDqS8

Yes, I agree, BUT, to call someone down and call them crazy for stating what they have seen is uncalled for. You and I have both stated how we believe in true evil, yet, there were some comments made that basically implied I was "seeing" things and not completely right in the head. I'm not saying that skeptics should take everything at face value, but, have some respect for others. Seeing is believing. And I understand that, who is going to believe in things that they have no understanding of since they haven't experienced anything that has to do with the paranormal? But to out and out tell people that they are out to lunch for saying they have experienced things is going a little too far, IMO.

The typical counter-investigations are the seeking of irrefutable proof for the seeker. They tend to not look at painted pictures, but want something tangible. They don't necessarily not believe at this conjunction of conjecture, but need something more to go on.

No one beating there heads, wishing to be in the 'Aura'. They just want something standard; ie, undeniable circumstance that is easy for all who want to see. Like, the newer breed of equipment that can detect fluxes in temperature ranges, EMF's, and the like. Do a search. This equipment is available. Some who haven't found anything yet, do still look. But, it's not to deny and edge out there spiritual realm...

This is one of the reasons that I try to keep an open mind...I have never been involved in a paranormal experience, but have no reason to doubt that other people have. Do I have proof, absolutely not, but I don't have proof that it actually didn't happen...Nor would I remark to a skeptic that he/she is off the wall with their way of thinking on any topic...We all can't think the same way, and I don't think we would want to...I definitely don't go for the skeptics putting the "crazy" label on anyone. This is just my opiinion....

Good reply Goalienan...

I tend to agree. Skeptics keep asking paranormal investigators for the proof, but where is their proof and disproved explanations? Most skpetics tend to jump on us very fast without backing up their own explanation. Most groups do tend do stick to the routine of disproving or debunking claims of paranormal activity. So in a way, aren't we all skeptics? We are disproving and debunking during our investigations and skeptics are looking for scientific or logical explanation? The reason paranormal investigators disprove or debunk is because the less scientific or logical explanation we can find, the more the answer leans towards that it is paranormal. I always tend to go by that if you can recreate it, then it isn't paranormal. However, some things you cannot create. Some of those things you cannot create are things that you have to experience yourself. With that being said, things happen randomly and not all the time. So the odds of experiencing something are slim and none. Its about being at the right place at the right time. In my opinion I also think its because of a groups dynamics, techniques and methods that capture great evidence.

To me skeptics shouldn't be called skeptics because if they are still searching for proof just like paranormal investigators are searching for the same proof? Doesn't that make sense? :hmm:

Yes, I agree, BUT, to call someone down and call them crazy for stating what they have seen is uncalled for. You and I have both stated how we believe in true evil, yet, there were some comments made that basically implied I was "seeing" things and not completely right in the head. I'm not saying that skeptics should take everything at face value, but, have some respect for others. Seeing is believing. And I understand that, who is going to believe in things that they have no understanding of since they haven't experienced anything that has to do with the paranormal? But to out and out tell people that they are out to lunch for saying they have experienced things is going a little too far, IMO.
Yes we have seen the extremes on both sides of the issue , there may have actually be a couple of instances where I have been LESS that cordial :hmm: ...it's even more complicated for someone like me, as I have admitted here in the past, that I have a spotted history of mental health issues in my trick bag... but as I believe there may be a quantifiable connection between the two ... SO when someone makes the suggestion (in a non confrontational manor) to examine the possibility of a psychologically suggested explanation for a paranormal seeming encounter, I give that explanation perhaps a little more consideration than some of you fellow believers do, but as far as really influencing the foundation of my core belief system at this point... unlikely

like you said GB

You and I have both stated how we believe in true evil
once was ALL it took ... and it becomes more obvious every time :unsure: ....b

halfhandshuffle:ADAM ANT-GOODY TWO SHOES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8cFYG3desE

Edited by Barek Halfhand

Barek, basically you are saying that millions of people who believe in the supernatural or paranormal are all crazy!? I think that's insane! LOL...

LOL, that's not what I got from what he said. Correct me if I am wrong, Barek, but some people who do have mental health issues have hallucinations and not real paranormal happenings, YET, there is also a possibility of a correlation between mental health issues and experiencing Paranormal happenings. There is always a possibility IMO that because these people's brains work differently, they have a better awareness or ability to see things that others can't/won't/don't. If I got what you were saying wrong, Barek, sorry. I only had one coffee today!