Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is this Amelia Earhart's plane?

amelia earhart plane nikumaroro island

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,504 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Researchers may have come one step closer toward solving the mystery of Amelia Earhart’s disappearance after announcing the discovery of what could be remnants of the famed aviator’s plane.

The debris located off Nikumaroro island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati was spotted following a preliminary review of high-definition video taken last month at the uninhabited coral atoll believed to be Earhart's final resting place.

http://www.dailymail...ors-flight.html

Posted Image

#2    Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo Stiglitz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Man of The People

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

my question is why did'nt they bring up a piece of the wreckage?they found sn old glass bottle of freckle cream she used on thebeach,why not bring up a part of the plane?

"If you want to walk the Streets of Gold,you got to know the password, ROLL TIDE ROLL."
Paul "BEAR"Bryant

#3    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostGrimm Outlook, on 18 August 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

my question is why did'nt they bring up a piece of the wreckage? They found an old glass bottle of freckle cream she used on the beach, why not bring up a part of the plane?

Maybe you are being somewhat impatient, lol.

I will bet they will try that soon.

How deep is the location of the wreckage? It must be damn deep. that much I know.

#4    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 18 August 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Researchers may have come one step closer toward solving the mystery of Amelia Earhart’s disappearance after announcing the discovery of what could be remnants of the famed aviator’s plane.

The debris located off Nikumaroro island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati was spotted following a preliminary review of high-definition video taken last month at the uninhabited coral atoll believed to be Earhart's final resting place.

http://www.dailymail...ors-flight.html

Very interesting and you beat me in posting it lol

#5    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Interesting.

#6    Axlaiden

Axlaiden

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

$2.2Million expedition?? Researchers are putting up more money now to find her than when she was potentially alive as a castaway. Just goes to show that we would rather figure out a good mystery than to save a life.  
"Nikumaroro Island in the PRECISE area that it was believed her plane crashed" Obviously, researchers did know she potentially could be in this area.

#7    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hasn't this been found a few times already? ;)

Hope they are on the money this time...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#8    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 20 August 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

Hasn't this been found a few times already? ;)

Hope they are on the money this time...

it would be nice to bring her home.  Might bring closure to any family or  still around.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#9    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

her body probably wont ever be found...

#10    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

Bones were found back in the 1940s or 50s but have since been lost or destroyed, as they weren't suspected of being Earhart's back then.

#11    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• 1,205 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

You know, I'd really like to think they'd found something concrete, but it looks to me like they're  putting anything out there to keep their funding going. Which is OK if they have a good chance of finding her and Noonan.
I hope they do because I'd really like to know what happened.

#12    Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo Stiglitz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Man of The People

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

They said on the show the pieces were 1000 feet down.I Think they are just reaching.there have been stories out there forever that the Japanese killed her and her co pilot and buried them on the howland islands,a soldier also reportedly found her briefcase shortly after ww2 there too,and there was also a story she was alive and well living in the usa until her death in 2002,so wtf knows?

"If you want to walk the Streets of Gold,you got to know the password, ROLL TIDE ROLL."
Paul "BEAR"Bryant

#13    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

1000 feet down is quite deep and would require a robot to retrieve the debris. I like the bit about alive and well in the USA. Maybe Elvis is also alive and well?

#14    Grubble

Grubble

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

I've heard differents tales about what happened to her, I hope they finally get some proof so we can (hopefully) find out for good what happened

#15    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,329 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

The problem with the Discovery Channel show is that they didn't offer any counter theories to the one that TIGHAR was putting forward.  Heck, they didn't even question anything the TIGHAR team was saying.  I don't know about you, but I thought I was watching the South Pacific version of Finding Bigfoot.  For those of you who don't know, the TIGHAR theory is a "fringe" theory when it comes to Earhart and pretty much the only ones who buy it are TIGHAR and their funders.

Here are two pieces by Brian Dunning that offer a little different take on their theories and their "evidence".

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4295
Finding Amelia Earhart

Popular modern reports claim Amelia Earhart made it to an island and survived for a time. Might that be true?

http://skeptoid.com/...rhart-nonsense/

As I went into great detail in my Skeptoid episode about the fate of Amelia Earhart, she and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared in 1937 off Howland Island in the south Pacific when they ran out of fuel in the immediate vicinity of their destination. However, in today’s news, it is being widely reported that an expedition is underway to pursue new evidence via expensive underwater searches, that Earhart ended up instead as a castaway on distant Nikumaroro Island (then called Gardner Island). Money is indeed being spent on this expedition, apparently by the Discovery Channel, but that is where the fact ends. This alternate explanation for Earhart’s fate is almost certainly completely false, and exists only for the purpose of sensationalism at the expense of public intellect.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users