Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gay Marriage

TrueBeliever

Christians dont mind gay marriages as long as its not in a christian church. im a christian and some of my best friends are gay, i have no problem with gay marriage. Every church i have been to in my life has never even spoken on homosexuals but rather a love for all people no matter their background. christians are in no way obsessed with homosexuals, how many christians offline have you spoken to? if your speaking to people online and pursuing the topic of agaisnt gay marrige then of course your going to have the opinion that all christians are obsessed with gay marrige.

Christians dont mind gay marriages as long as its not in a christian church. im a christian and some of my best friends are gay, i have no problem with gay marriage. Every church i have been to in my life has never even spoken on homosexuals but rather a love for all people no matter their background. christians are in no way obsessed with homosexuals, how many christians offline have you spoken to? if your speaking to people online and pursuing the topic of agaisnt gay marrige then of course your going to have the opinion that all christians are obsessed with gay marrige.

Well I was raised a christian, in fact I lived in a town in Texas, Keene that was about 5,000 christians, at work most the christians speak constantly of how gays are going to hell...so yes dear...I speak to living breathing face to face christians who are some of the meanest humans I have ever met.......on the other hand, some of the nicest people I know are christians.....that's lovely that your congregation is so supportive and kind...but it is the Bible that instigates this nonsense.....and as an atheist...it wasnt the people that made me one....it was reading the Bible:)

• Like 3

Is there a reason the government is allowed to ban marriage? Church and state separated quite awhile ago if I'm not mistaken. Honestly hatred is not my main concern. Humans will be ignorant and that will not stop.

But BANNING a declaration of love? Someone tell me why the government has this power?

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Kazoo
  • Like 5

Is there a reason the government is allowed to ban marriage? Church and state separated quite awhile ago if I'm not mistaken. Honestly hatred is not my main concern. Humans will be ignorant and that will not stop.

But BANNING a declaration of love? Someone tell me why the government has this power?

EDIT: Ninja'd.

You're treating it as an emotional undertaking, which it is, but despite how anyone feels about marriage it is a questions of a legal contractual agreement and should be treated as such by the government.

• Like 2

Here in the States they keep trying to swart any attempt to get gay marriage laws on the books. Some of them would like to go back to the good old days of stoning, burning and torturing anybody who doesn't live by their code. I am hope someday the laws with change and put an end to this discriminaion.

• Like 6

The bottom line to legal marriage, gay or otherwise, can be summed up thusly.

Marriage is not regulated within any church. No church issues a marriage license. No church runs the courts which oversee divorce proceedings. Marriage is not a religious undertaking, it is a legal undertaking. Therefore marriage falls under the domain of various government agencies, and specifically the courts of law.

It is, I assume, ilegal for the government to discriminate, therefore it is ilegal to for the courts to decide based on sex or sexual orientation, who can and cannot be married or to who, so any two adults not currently under a marriage contract with another adult should be eligible to be married and expect to have access to the same right, privelges, and responsibilities of any other married couple.

It is rather obvious to me why the govt denies the right.....RELIGIOUS WACKOS that think it is their business who sleeps with who, who marries who......it is religious people, who form churches that are the reason.....dont want to p*** off the right! lol wow.....the obvioius eludes some

• Like 5

Well I was raised a christian, in fact I lived in a town in Texas, Keene that was about 5,000 christians, at work most the christians speak constantly of how gays are going to hell...so yes dear...I speak to living breathing face to face christians who are some of the meanest humans I have ever met.......on the other hand, some of the nicest people I know are christians.....that's lovely that your congregation is so supportive and kind...but it is the Bible that instigates this nonsense.....and as an atheist...it wasnt the people that made me one....it was reading the Bible:)

the christians at your work are a minority and dont represent all christians. the bible says alot of things that people would consider bad and good, im sorry if you feel it is nonsense and that it made you become an atheist. when it was written it was meant as good news rather than bad

the christians at your work are a minority and dont represent all christians. the bible says alot of things that people would consider bad and good, im sorry if you feel it is nonsense and that it made you become an atheist. when it was written it was meant as good news rather than bad

dont be sad! Best thing ever happened to me..

...I disagree that all the christians I know who are bigots are a minority......must be a wonderful utopian community you live in......

• Like 1

It is rather obvious to me why the govt denies the right.....RELIGIOUS WACKOS that think it is their business who sleeps with who, who marries who......it is religious people, who form churches that are the reason.....dont want to p*** off the right! lol wow.....the obvioius eludes some

Actually this is up to the state governements. I believe gay marriage is legal in Maine, Massachusetts, Hawaii, and almost ratified in Washington. I may be wrong about some of those states and there may be others in the process like my home state.

...I disagree that all the christians I know who are bigots are a minority......must be a wonderful utopian community you live in......

you dont sound that happy, when i read the things you have written. i wouldnt say i live in a utopian community, theres troubles here just like there is every where else.

Edited by Ever Learning

TB don't you find it the least bit confusing that a gay couple actually WANT the blessing of a religious entity? Many States have civil unions with most if not all the legal rights of a married couple but it's not enough for many in this debate. Many of the most vocal pro gay marriage want exactly the same right including that a religious marriage ceremony be available in a church where the members disagree. This is the only thing concerning gay marriage that offends me.
  • Like 2

Actually this is up to the state governements. I believe gay marriage is legal in Maine, Massachusetts, Hawaii, and almost ratified in Washington. I may be wrong about some of those states and there may be others in the process like my home state.

well, hopefully more state govts stop listening to the obsessed crazy christian far right tyrants who think they have a right to control otherrs' lives! enough is enough! I am straight as can be, have no desire urge curiosity to go gay....buy they have rights as a human being....and i will stand up for them. Just like I stand up for anyones rights.....these idiots scream that the govt is too much in everybodys business..........then THEY go sticking their noses and beliefs where they have NO right! It is disgusting really....anyone who is threatened by gay marriage, or who thinks it hurts their hetero marriage is disillusioned and dumb. it is doesnt eliminate their choices! But THEY want to eliminate anothers choice......it is wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!

• Like 4

LOL!!! The key is it aint Texas!! :w00t:

But honestly, it will vary from congregation to congregation, but most will definetly agree that the Bible says God frowns on homosexuality, and it's a sin. Most will also agree, from my experience, hate the sin, love the sinner. Jesus would never turn anyone away. The church closest to my house has a huge rainbow colored banner that reads Come in, you are welcome here! I don't participate in organized religion myself as I believe a huge part of Jesus's message was that you can pray directly to God. No need for a middle man or a sacrifice.

I'm sure that most religious people are correct in stating that according to the bible God would not approve of gay marriage but as I pointed out in previous posts, we have taken the church out of the regulation of marriage decades if not a century ago.

• Like 2

I just wish people would butt out of other peoples lives and let them do what they want. (obviously without harming others)

I don't care what religion someone is or what their beliefs are as long as they don't harm others with it or shove it in my face.

I'd happily live in the same street as a Christian, Jew, Muslim and Jedi... As long as they keep it to themselves and don't try and push it on me or try to affect my life with it. If I want to know nay informaiton on their religions I will ask them or look into it myself to get an unbiased view.

I don't have a problem with gay people at all, it's their freedom of choice to live the way they feel they should. It's not harming others so why do people stick their noses in. On the bright side as well it does 3 positive things for our society. Makes people more open minded, more adoptions for poor orphaned children to give them a good life and keeps helps with population growth... LOL Oh and a fourth, more Gay men = more single woman.. LOL Oh wait maybe it's balanced by lesbians.. Damn it.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 3

There was an awful lot of them in line getting chicken and it wasn't all sweetness and nice. It might be good news for you, but historically it has been bad news for a lot of Innocent people.

• Like 1

You're treating it as an emotional undertaking, which it is, but despite how anyone feels about marriage it is a questions of a legal contractual agreement and should be treated as such by the government.

My problem is that marriage IS a contractual agreement. I don't think the government should have any power over it at all. Gay or Not.

Edited by Kazoo
  • Like 1

you dont sound that happy, when i read the things you have written. i wouldnt say i live in a utopian community, theres troubles here just like there is every where else.

I am extremely unhappy when discussing how peoples rights are denied, how people are tortured, condemned....exiled.....beat down....told they are going to hell.....told they can 'pray the gay away'...killed..for their lifestyle choices.....it DISGUSTS me what supposedly righteous, godly people do to others......and it disgusts me that it is supposed to be 'off-limits' to speak out against it........whether you ever take off your rose colored glasses or get out more...ALOT of people are severely abused, tortured and even killed because of religious nuts. ....i am extremely lucky I do as well as I do! I feel others' pain.....I cant be really help unless I fight for anothers' happiness too.

• Like 5

There was an awful lot of them in line getting chicken and it wasn't all sweetness and nice. It might be good news for you, but historically it has been bad news for a lot of Innocent people.

Non christians have used religion for there own purposes, a christian that follows the bible knows that none of the commandments can be fufilled without love but some people enforce them through pride

I understand why some Christians are against gay marriage but logically I don't see how it even matters. That's my own opinion though. I said this before in a past topic that I think it's ridiculous how much religion plays a part in government when according to the first amendment, church and state are to remain separate. Not allowing gays to marry because religion still influences (I want to say controls) government is like a slap in the face because it's obvious what's going on. I've always had strong opinions on this topic because I'm firm believer that love is love regardless of what you have going on downstairs. I'm not gay myself but I can only imagine how hard it would be to be denied the right to marry whoever you choose and not be recognized as a legitimate couple. Like I said in the beginning of this reply, I do realize that not all Christians feel this way about gay marriage but from what I've seen the majority does.

Love is love. Period.

• Like 3

I am extremely unhappy when discussing how peoples rights are denied, how people are tortured, condemned....exiled.....beat down....told they are going to hell.....told they can 'pray the gay away'...killed..for their lifestyle choices.....it DISGUSTS me what supposedly righteous, godly people do to others......and it disgusts me that it is supposed to be 'off-limits' to speak out against it........whether you ever take off your rose colored glasses or get out more...ALOT of people are severely abused, tortured and even killed because of religious nuts. ....i am extremely lucky I do as well as I do! I feel others' pain.....I cant be really help unless I fight for anothers' happiness too.

I think you have been watching too much of the news its bad for you, as it paints a picture of the world that isn't true. there are alot of bad things happening in the world an some caused by people who consider them selves Christians but you cant deny that there's Christians out there doing good works. i have never witnessed any of the things you have stated, sure ive seen them on the news but if it was as bad as you think it is, christians would be in trouble. when i walk outdoors Christians arnt causing anarchy.

I think you have been watching too much of the news its bad for you, as it paints a picture of the world that isn't true. there are alot of bad things happening in the world an some caused by people who consider them selves Christians but you cant deny that there's Christians out there doing good works. i have never witnessed any of the things you have stated, sure ive seen them on the news but if it was as bad as you think it is, christians would be in trouble. when i walk outdoors Christians arnt causing anarchy.

I dont watch the news every day my dear. I talk to people face to face....and I know the religioin I was raised in....oh they will say pseudo kind things.....then straight to...I will pray for them...or act like oh I have to love them in spite of their evil ways....it's not a sin or evil or a blemish to be gay! And it should be illegal to spread such nonsense...but I also think scaring little kids with hell should be illegal....or beating your kid because to not would be a sin! Come on...deny all you want there are some insane religious nuts out there and they are damaging and hurting REAL people, with feelings and rights........you have to be blind to not know this..they all brag about it!!

• Like 1

My problem is that marriage IS a contractual agreement. I don't think the government should have any power over it at all. Gay or Not.

That's not how contractual agreements work. Any legal agreement has to be regulated by law, therefore the courts and are in charge of contractual agreements. Mainly they and lawyers of course become involved once the contract has been breached or anulled.

That's not how contractual agreements work. Any legal agreement has to be regulated by law, therefore the courts and are in charge of contractual agreements. Mainly they and lawyers of course become involved once the contract has been breached or anulled.

.....I don't think you understand.

Marriage should not be a contract....I don't think I can make it any simpler.

• Like 1