Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

A Monstrous Worm: A 50-Year Old Mystery

worm

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,463 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

September of this year will mark the 50th anniversary of one of the strangest and most mysterious creature-type reports to have ever crossed my path. It’s made even weirder by the fact that it was secretly investigated by the British Royal Air Force!

According to a now-declassified, six-page file titled “Unexplained Event’ at Avebury, Wilts.,” that had been prepared by a Royal Air Force officer, an extraordinary event of near-monstrous proportions, occurred within the old, famous, standing -stones of Avebury, Wiltshire, England on a September day way back in 1962.

http://www.mania.com...cle_133439.html

Posted Image

#2    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,810 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

It is a pity that people very rarely take any notice of stories like this, and even less frequently are willing to discuss them in any remotely serious way, instead preferring to spend endless amounts of time arguing the same old things, over and over and over endlessly. There's an extraordinary number of stories like this. Extraterrestrial probe? plasma? hallucination? Did she make it all up to seek attention? (Psychology had hardly been heard of in 1962, of course). It is a shame that no one ever talks about stories like this.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Chase it down with fire! D:

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#4    Goodnite

Goodnite

Outsider looking in.

• 1,020 posts

• Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Now Kitty, you always want to hurt something- :-* I'd love it to be real, but it sounds kind of fishy.

The King of the Beasts

#5    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

KILL IT WITH FIRE

#6    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,308 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

As far as I can tell from what's here, an unnamed person reported an odd event to the RAF, which sent an unnamed person to investigate, as cited in an unattributed report.

Well, at least it wasn't reported in The Sun.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,316 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 27 June 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

As far as I can tell from what's here, an unnamed person reported an odd event to the RAF, which sent an unnamed person to investigate, as cited in an unattributed report.

Well, at least it wasn't reported in The Sun.

Fascinating isn't it?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,822 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

Sounds like a night terror. Maybe she fell asleep in her car and then woke frightened to death and went to the authorities.

If it was an ET, it is not like any I've heard of before.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#9    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Sounds like it's fake to me. Anyone could make that up.

#10    Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• When you think you've pushed yourself as far as you can go, you're only halfway there

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

LSD is a powerful hallucinogen!

#11    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

In my opinion the ball of light she saw was typical of reports of ball lightning , which then exploded near to her, (15 feet away) causing the bright flash of light.
The report then states
''For a moment the witness was blinded by its intensity and she instinctively fell to her knees. When her eyes cleared, however, she was faced with a horrific sight''
I believe the worm she then saw was a hallucination caused by the fact that her eyes were probably not back to 'normal' at this time and the fact that she must have been in a state of shock or panic.

#12    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

Well from the report It sounds like the guy did nothing more than laugh at her

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

This story in its self seems to be a bit of a dead end, however on the same website there is another version of this story with a few details (either missing from or added to the OP's article).

On the ground near the standing stone, however, was a three-foot long trail of a slime-like substance, not unlike that left by a snail. Lees’ colleague quickly improvised and, after racing back to the woman’s house, scooped some of the material onto a spoon and into a drinking glass.

http://www.mania.com...cle_116222.html

There is also an idea that these stones are related in some way to Snake worship. This ties in quite nicely with a worm forming from a ball of light.

An interpretation of the name Abury or Au-bury can, according to some experts, be translated to mean Serpens Solis or Sun Snake.

http://www.aquiziam....ury-stones.html (scroll just over half way down the page).

Edited by Junior Chubb, 02 July 2012 - 08:06 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Also tagged with worm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users