Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Where are YOU on this map ?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Unknown</strong>
Image credit: Unknown
Steve Pearse: Last September 19th, 2011 marked the 50th anniversary of the Betty and Barney Hill case, one of the world's best known and documented cases of alien abduction ever recorded in the history of Ufology. On a lonely road in the White mountains of New Hampshire, they became the victim to the perfect crime of a horrific abduction by the occupants of an unknown flying object late at night. The Hills' story is a richly detailed CEIII-5 abduction case with a highly unusual epic tale of being stopped by a group of humanoids on a side gravel road and taken aboard their landed spacecraft for medical examination. It soon became the most thoroughly investigated UFO case study ever, and their story got worldwide attention.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Betty and Barney have always been my favorite abduction case, always holding firm to their story.

#3    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,128 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Steve Pearse, will you be engaging in a discussion on this?

And may I suggest that the 'story' might be a little more accurately reported if, instead of restating claims as if they actually happened, you make it clear they are claims.  For example, sentences like this (of which there are many):
"Betty and Barney Hill started having nightmares"
should really be more like:
"Betty and Barney Hill reported they started having nightmares"

Unless, of course, you have an extreme case of confirmation bias or "I-believe-everything-I-hear" disease...

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#4    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,591 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

View Posts33ker, on 21 June 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Betty and Barney have always been my favorite abduction case, always holding firm to their story.

It's a good one but not my favorite.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#5    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 21 June 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

It's a good one but not my favorite.
Who?

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

I wonder if I showed most of the readers here a map of a few dozen stars, could anyone reproduce it, from memory, after a supposedly traumatic event like an alien abduction, and do so with enough accuracy that it would be recognizable? And where would it be recognizable from? Earth? Or the supposed alien's home world? And at what orientation (i.e. which way is "up" or perhaps north), it could be quite different to you and to "them"? You could draw several dots on a page and a computer might match them up with stars in the night sky, but if your drawing was off by just a fraction it could easily match them with completely different stars. There is also the magnitude, color, etcetera of the stars to consider. To me this map seems rather worthless on the face of it.

#7    Paranomali

Paranomali

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

• “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Is the map from Earths point of view? Wouldn't it look different if seen from another angle in space?

#8    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,323 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

View Posts33ker, on 21 June 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Who?

My guess is Travis Walton. That's my favorite abduction tale since it's credible, and the witnesses are trustworthy according to the polygraph tests.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#9    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,128 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

'Tis a pity that it seems the author of that 'article' is not interested in defending it.  I suspect I know why...

As an aside, the analysis done by Marjorie E Fish (why do self proclaimed ufo researchers have such silly names..?) is a complete and utter joke, and is the text book example of Confirmation Bias at work.

In simple terms: if you spend ages manipulating data looking for a rough match, it doesn't matter what the data is - you almost certainly will.

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#10    slaughtr

slaughtr

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

• I Doubt Nothing!!

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

All you skeptic folks I hope someday an alien ship comes and zaps your ass up and let's see if defending an article matters you say some of the most dumbest bull I've ever heard.Truth could hit you in the face and you still wouldn't believe it.Every case I have studied the similarities are there and really why would somebody lie about being snatched up damn......Since you all have the answer stay off the site making dumb comments....fake know it alls go work for nasa then they need you.

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,891 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

On the plus side, if this is all the map these aliens have made, they can't be exceptionally more technically advanced then us. Maybe only a couple hundred years.

Edited by DieChecker, 25 June 2013 - 12:44 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,974 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Posts33ker, on 21 June 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Not so.

Originally, Betty claimed the aliens looked like Jimmy Durante.  She changed that story.

Also, Barney originally claimed he didn't experience what Betty experienced.

Another story change.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#13    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,055 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Postslaughtr, on 24 June 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

All you skeptic folks I hope someday an alien ship comes and zaps your ass up and let's see if defending an article matters you say some of the most dumbest bull I've ever heard.Truth could hit you in the face and you still wouldn't believe it.Every case I have studied the similarities are there and really why would somebody lie about being snatched up damn......Since you all have the answer stay off the site making dumb comments....fake know it alls go work for nasa then they need you.
If the forums didn't allow dumb comments you wouldn't be posting here.

Edited by Rlyeh, 25 June 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#14    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,128 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postslaughtr, on 24 June 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

I just love the bolded part..  Yeah, no-one here wants answers!!!

Anyway, for anyone interested in actual discussion, I'd be happy to look at just exactly how Marjorie Fish came to her 'remarkable' conclusions..

Paranomali, you've hit one of many nails right on the head.   Dear Marjorie had to try many different angles and 3d viewpoints before she finally got one that, sorta/almost/not quite/nearly 'matched' ...  Given that approach, I reckon I can match anything to anything else..  I'm sure it might impress some folks, but it is meaningless.  Science uses various methodologies and safeguards to ensure that sort of rubbish is not accepted... but some will eagerly accept any old rubbish, if it helps bolster their favorite belief.

___

#15    RedHouseHendrix

RedHouseHendrix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

I thought it was common knowledge that under hypnosis you can remember things that in a normal state you wouldn't be able to remember.   Also, lets attack the person name...that will discredit them.  I don't think that Marjorie Fish is any stranger than John Smith or Alice Clark, its just a name.  If you believe this story or just think its worth further investigation don't let these skeptics bully you:

http://www.tcm.phy.c...ism/drasin.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users