Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

reintroducing corporal punishment in schools?

shrooma

with unruly kids having no respect for teachers, due to teachers being powerless to punish the guilty, should corporal punishment be introduced as a deterrent?

*sound of can of worms being opened*

As long as they take the knives of the kids first. Would not like to see the teacher trying to enforce any kind of punishment in some of these schools.

We do not want any more riots on our hands!

• Like 2

that's the kind of thing I had in mind freet.

when I was at school, we wouldn't have dared carry a knife around, or we'd quite literally have had our asses whipped!

helluva deterrent....

• Like 2

It doesn't really work. Look at the inner-city gangs of the 60s and 70s, when the troubles with violent kids was just as bad, if not as concentrated, as it is today.

Nowadays, as well, kids wouldn't stand for it. Even when I was at school, if a teacher had attempted to hit a student, the teacher would have been decked. I know I would have defended myself against any attempts. And there were also students when I was there who were expelled for punching, kicking and even Malkying teachers for a lot less than a whack with a ruler, or stick.

It would just be inviting trouble.

• Like 2

It doesn't really work. Look at the inner-city gangs of the 60s and 70s, when the troubles with violent kids was just as bad, if not as concentrated, as it is today.

Nowadays, as well, kids wouldn't stand for it. Even when I was at school, if a teacher had attempted to hit a student, the teacher would have been decked. I know I would have defended myself against any attempts. And there were also students when I was there who were expelled for punching, kicking and even Malkying teachers for a lot less than a whack with a ruler, or stick.

It would just be inviting trouble.

then maybe those kind of kids, exhibiting that kind of behaviour would be singled out, and kept away from the other kids, allowing them to learn without disruption?

then maybe those kind of kids, exhibiting that kind of behaviour would be singled out, and kept away from the other kids, allowing them to learn without disruption?

When I was at school, many of them already were. Sometimes a bit late though.

How about knocking the heads of parents around to teach some respect at home? Parents don't teach children to respect others, so they go to school (or wherever) and act disrespectfully. Put the blame where it belongs.

maybe having discipline at school would be better than having no discipline at all?

When I was at school, many of them already were. Sometimes a bit late though.

they use a similar system at my old school now, the disruptive kids are all taught in a seperate part of the school, with social workers, and teachers who are trained to help kids like that, and it seems to be working....

If they misbehave, kick them out. If your education system is taxpayer funded like the US's, I see no reason why some unruly little stain should be allowed to disrupt everyone else, kick them out and make them earn their GED the hard way.

• Like 3

i'm not saying corporal punishment is a magic panacea, but kids (not ALL kids!) DO seem to have gotten a whole lot worse since caning was banned, and it can't be mere coincidence, can it?

• Like 1

It does not help when we have the lefty brigade saying that the reason why little Desmond has just threatened to stab the teacher is because he has a "learning difficulty",

As pointed out, the discipline starts at home.

The South London school i went did eventually have a separate section for the unruly kids....when they showed up! But in those days the teachers were tougher, now they have to be extremely careful how they talk to these children...incase they 'scare" them and upset them and then the parents come to the school and threaten to sue the teacher.

The kids know all the tricks of the trade today, tricks which they should not be able to get away with and some of the parents are not helping matter.

• Like 2

i'm not saying corporal punishment is a magic panacea, but kids (not ALL kids!) DO seem to have gotten a whole lot worse since caning was banned, and it can't be mere coincidence, can it?

There are far more factors to consider. The perceived correlation may just be coincidence, or part of a larger number of problems, such as the moral decay of our culture.

I'm not a fan of school corporal punishment. Really really not a fan. It's not ok when a parent canes their child, it's really not ok for other people to do it.

they have to be extremely careful how they talk to these children...incase they 'scare" them and upset them and then the parents come to the school and threaten to sue the teacher.

The kids know all the tricks of the trade today, tricks which they should not be able to get away with

I agree.

but if corporal punishment was reintroduced, kids wouldn't be able to complain, as it would be legal to reprimand them, and when I was a kid, if I went home and told my mam and dad i'd been caned, I got a whole other asskicking all over again for being a little get at school!

it'll NEVER be reintroduced, because of, as you say, the loony left, I just wondered if a referendum WAS held, would people allow their kids to be punished?

• Like 1

may just be coincidence, or part of a larger number of problems, such as the moral decay of our culture.

I blame gangsta rap for that ex!

:-)

• Like 4

I'm not a fan of school corporal punishment. Really really not a fan. It's not ok when a parent canes their child, it's really not ok for other people to do it.

i'd allow it, because if my kids were being so bad at school that caning them was even considered, then they'd deserve their punishment.

I remember back when i was in high school this one little punk got punished by the principal then went home crying to daddy.Next thing you know his pops shows up at the school telling the principal all kinds of tough talk,Then the principal kicked his ass!One of the funniest damn things ever.Two birds with one stone! :lol:

• Like 4

I remember back when i was in high school this one little punk got punished by the principal then went home crying to daddy.Next thing you know his pops shows up at the school telling the principal all kinds of tough talk,Then the principal kicked his ass!One of the funniest damn things ever.Two birds with one stone! :lol:

LIKE +loads!

Here in Oklahoma we have (or at least had) a program for 'tough kids' who were violently disruptive in class (as opposed to those who were just annoyingly class clowns like I was :whistle: )...

This program (and I'm sure other states have similar ones) was run with the help of Reserve Army Drill Sgt's (and retired active duty Drill Sgts as well)... The Drill Sgts would provide the 'direction' and discipline (but never strike or even demean the kid) and teachers would then teach the subjects... Usually a month or so of this and the kids were ready to go back to regular school and we had very good results...

I did this for a while and it's both heartening when you see a kid 'mend their ways' and disheartening when you get to know the kids and learn their back stories - usually broken disfunctional homes...

I would like to point out that it's not like 'basic training' you see in movies... We were never allowed to strike or put our hands on a student in any way except like a sports coach would (less violently actually, remembering back to my coaches...)

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

that kind of thing would work taun. it's instilling a sense of discipline and respect that I was thinking of.

it would be nice if kids these days would respond to that without corporal punishment, but they think they're bullet-proof!

maybe we should introduce sergeant punishment instead of corporal punishment...?

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 2

We were never allowed to strike or put our hands on a student in any way except like a sports coach would (less violently actually, remembering back to my coaches...)

Phys-Ed teachers seem to be the same the world over, sadists to a man!!

that kind of thing would work taun. it's instilling a sense of discipline and respect that I was thinking of.

it would be nice if kids these days would respond to that with corporal punishment, but they think they're bullet-proof!

maybe we should introduce sergeant punishment instead of corporal punishment...?

Ahhh... But it's not a "punishment" ... It's an "opportunity to widen their horizons".... :devil:

• Like 2

it would be nice if kids these days would respond to that without corporal punishment, but they think they're bullet-proof!

Sadly I think some kids would be past even that. Like you say, they think they are bullet proof and would just walk off or even lash out and hit someone.

I worry a lot about my kids (they are only 4 and 6!), I discipline them and always will but sometimes I look at the teens I see on the streets and think how the hell did they end up like that???

• Like 1

It does not help when we have the lefty brigade saying that the reason why little Desmond has just threatened to stab the teacher is because he has a "learning difficulty",

As pointed out, the discipline starts at home.

The South London school i went did eventually have a separate section for the unruly kids....when they showed up! But in those days the teachers were tougher, now they have to be extremely careful how they talk to these children...incase they 'scare" them and upset them and then the parents come to the school and threaten to sue the teacher.

The kids know all the tricks of the trade today, tricks which they should not be able to get away with and some of the parents are not helping matter.

This probably wouldn't be popular with most people, but I think there should be video cameras in every class. Then, neither teachers nor the students would be able to talk their way out of anything. It's not like schools are supposed to be private or anything anyway.......even the police have cameras in their patrol cars. And in Russia the citizens have video cameras in their cars because the cops are corrupt.

As far as corporal punishment goes, I never liked the idea. First time punishment, send them home for the day, second time, send them home for the week, third time, their expelled. Parents might get a little more involved then......

• Like 2