Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Belgian twins choose euthenasia

evil_kenshin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2261985/Belgian-twin-brothers-killed-doctors-choosing-euthanasia-able-again.html

A pair of identical twins, who were born deaf, have been killed by Belgian doctors after seeking euthanasia when they found out they would also soon go blind.

In a unique case under the country's euthanasia laws, the 45-year-old brothers, from Antwerp, chose death as they were unable to bear the thought of never seeing one another again.

They were euthanised by doctors at Brussels University Hospital, in Jette, on December 14 by lethal injection after spending their entire lives together.

I guess I can understand their choice, but they must of had a very strong bond living their entire lives together and now dying together. Must of been frustrating finding out that after living so long with no hearing they were going to go without sight.

Edited by Still Waters
Changed source link to the actual article

Just because one is deaf and blind does not mean you can not have a productive happy life.

Even though they were D & B they would still have eachother.

If they had some disease that was killing them I might could understand it.

Seems very selfish of them....what about their friends and family.

Seems very selfish of them....what about their friends and family.

selfish? being forced to live both as deaf & blind would be living hell. It would be more selfish for their family to force them to live that way.

• Like 3

I think this is a stupid abuse of the euthanasia laws of Belgium. Euthanasia is all well and fine for people who are too sick TO KILL THEMSELVES, so they have doctors do so in an act of mercy, but, these doctors have killed two people who are perfectly capable of killing themselves! This goes directly against the justification usually given for euthanasia and in my opinion puts doctors in a horrible position.

Why didn't they just cross the border, climb the Eiffel Tower, and go out in style?

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

I think this is a stupid abuse of the euthanasia laws of Belgium. Euthanasia is all well and fine for people who are too sick TO KILL THEMSELVES, so they have doctors do so in an act of mercy, but, these doctors have killed two people who are perfectly capable of killing themselves! This goes directly against the justification usually given for euthanasia and in my opinion puts doctors in a horrible position.

Why didn't they just cross the border, climb the Eiffel Tower, and go out in style?

Because it's inhumane and some people want to but don't have the courage. They're afraid of both living and dying.

• Like 1

Because it's inhumane and some people want to but don't have the courage. They're afraid of both living and dying.

But this is not what justifies euthanasia, at least in my book. I'm not saying they don't have the right to die - everyone does if that is their wish - but they certainly, in my view, don't have the right to be killed by a medical professional when they could do it themselves. A medical professional who became a doctor to save lives, and will have to live with this on his conscience for the rest of his life.

Hire a hit-man. They're the opposite of doctors :) Seriously though, euthanasia should be reserved for people who do not have the ability to kill themselves, otherwise it's just legalised murder.

If you don't have the courage to kill yourself, then this tells you that somewhere, deep down, you actually want to live/don't want to die.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 5

Got to agree with ExpandMyMind, assisted suicide should provide a way out for those incapable of doing it themselves. They could have just grabbed a bottle of whiskey, drove to a nice view, run garden hose from the exhaust intop the car and shared drinks until they fell asleep forever.

• Like 5

But this is not what justifies euthanasia, at least in my book. I'm not saying they don't have the right to die - everyone does if that is their wish - but they certainly, in my view, don't have the right to be killed by a medical professional when they could do it themselves. A medical professional who became a doctor to save lives, and will have to live with this on his conscience for the rest of his life.

Hire a hit-man. They're the opposite of doctors :) Seriously though, euthanasia should be reserved for people who do not have the ability to kill themselves, otherwise it's just legalised murder.

If you don't have the courage to kill yourself, then this tells you that somewhere, deep down, you actually want to live/don't want to die.

Being afraid has nothing to do with wanting to stay alive. Some people are just as scared to keep living, knowing that their days are numbered but not knowing when that final hour will be. Then you have a chance! A gun, a razor, who knows. You're faced with it, end it or keep it going, keep this facade of nothingness going or end it?

• Like 4

It's people like you that makes this world a horrible place to be in. The doctors ended their hardship with dignity, and from that you wanted the two brothers to jump off a building? You are an animal. Go do some spirituality courses, then come back and join society

Edited by pitchp
  • Like 1

It's people like you that makes this world a horrible place to be in. The doctors ended their hardship with dignity, and from that you wanted the two brothers to jump off a building? You are an animal. Go do some spirituality courses, then come back and join society

A bit harsh considering I only made a joke about two people that no one here will ever know but whatever. I suggest you stay away from stand up comedians, for they often have far less taste than me.

Yes, jump off the building (actually, the Eiffel Tower is a structure, not a building), would be one way to do it, but OverSword gave another one in a serious point he made. And what is dignified about having someone end your life for you? If anything, dignified would be having the courage to end it yourself, and to not go out like a lame horse, or dog, or a death row prisoner!

And a spirituality course? I'd rather do a Scientology course.

Euthanasia is legal under Belgian law if those making the decision can make their wishes clear and are suffering unbearable pain, according to a doctor's judgement.

LINK

So, where was the unbearable pain? Are we now to say that Depression is unbearable pain? Emotional Stress unbearable pain? This isn't right...it just isn't and I will tell you why...

Hasina said...their body...their choice...fine...but if it is their body and their choice to end their lives, then they should have committed suicide...not 'applied for non-self-inflicted suicide' with the Government. Fine, if they want to kill themselves, then do a suicide pact and just do it...but don't bring in someone else to do it for you. It is akin to hiring a hitman to kill you...except I am sure the Tax Payers were the one's paying and THAT in and of itself is way wrong! Why should I have to pay for YOUR suicide? It's ludicrous.

• Like 1

Life should always be protected at all costs... It's too slippery of a slope not to.

If you don't own your life, what do you own?
  • Like 2

According to what you just said, as long as someone can bite their own tongue even the terminally ill should be denied euthanasia.

If you don't own your life, what do you own?

You do own your own life. So, if you want to end your own life...end it. I would do my best to talk you out of it, give you some positive options, counseling, etc. But these guys didn't get that...the Government should not be in the business of sanctioning murder...and yes...that is what it is...it isn't suicide if someone else pulls the trigger..we call that murder...at least...we used to.

• Like 1

You do own your own life. So, if you want to end your own life...end it. I would do my best to talk you out of it, give you some positive options, counseling, etc. But these guys didn't get that...the Government should not be in the business of sanctioning murder...and yes...that is what it is...it isn't suicide if someone else pulls the trigger..we call that murder...at least...we used to.

Murder by definition is illegal. Legal murder is an oxymoron. Edited by Rlyeh

Murder by definition is illegal. Legal murder is an oxymoron.

Why can't they just do it the old fashioned...wait...the New Fashioned...American Way? One brother should shoot the other in the head, and then shoot himself in the head...murder/suicide...they could have flipped a coin to see who went first.