Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Downloading- theft or legitimate practice?

AztecInca

Debate suggested by Paranoid Android

Debate Topic: The ethics of downloading - illegal theft, or legitimate practice?

A participant will be debating that downloading is illegal theft and should be banned while WarriorVisions will be debating that it is an entirely legitimate practice.

This will be a 1v1 formal debate.

An Introduction, 5 bodily posts and a conclusion from each participant. No Flaming, bad manners or profantities will be tolerated.

Please be aware that:

There is a point deduction for debaters who fail to make a post within the 7 day time frame. The deductions will be 2 points for every day the participant fails to post after the 7 days.

This is to ensure that debates continue in a timely fashion. If for any reason you cannot post within the 7 days, please ensure that you let myself or Tiddlyjen know to avoid having the points taken off your debate.

If, however the participant does not then attempt to make a post for up to 2 weeks after the 7 day rule has started an immediate disqualification will occur.

Aztec!

Edited by AztecInca

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AztecInca

• WarriorVisions

• Death Star III

• The Skunkard

I will debate that downloading music, videos, games etc. is illegal.:angry2: :angry: tho i might not do so good since this is my first debate. :unsure2::unsure:

^Dont worry Death Star III I`m sure you will be fine.

Now we are just looking for one member to debate that downloading is a perfectly legitimate practice and should not be considered theft.

I'll take the legitimate practice side, if it is still available.

^Indeed it is WarriorVisions

Death Star III will be debating that downloading is illegal theft and should be banned while WarriorVisions will be debating that it is an entirely legitimate practice.

The debate guidelines are outlined in the first post of this debate. If you have any questions or problems just pm either myself or Tiddlyjen. Good Luck! :tu:

Edited by AztecInca

Introduction

At the outset of this discussion, it should be clarified that there is a difference between legality and legitimacy, with one not necessarily determining the other. For instance, American history shows numerous examples wherein individuals or groups of individuals staged illegal protests in the hopes of attracting attention to their cause or problem. While they were breaking the law in these instances, few would argue the legitimacy of their complaint or methods given the manner under which the very country was founded.

Building on an even older tradition of philosophic thought, the earliest Americans determined illegal action was warranted if the purpose was just. Civil authorities must answer to the will of the people and not the other way around.

In this manner, we find examples from history wherein an illegal but legitimate act resulted in a change to the laws and perspective of the society. This is not to imply that all acts of protest are granted blanket legitimacy and therefore sufficient numbers of people breaking the law are enough to warrant a change to the law. What must be examined further is the underlying causes for that illegal action and what aspects of social order, if any, have changed enough to be influential in re-examining whatever laws are being broken.

It is my contention that the so-called illegal downloading of music, video, and other "intellectual property" over the Internet meets this criteria of closer examination of the laws being broken. The legitimacy of the act of downloading is not merely due to the massive numbers of people engaged in it across the world. There are fundamental shifts in our culture which have occurred in the past 20 years which require a fresh look at what was once considered a sacrosanct business model for artistic consumption and its legal protection.

In the next five posts, aside from responding to rebuttals and points from my opponent, I will examine the following:

1. What unique cultural shifts have occurred in the past two decades for the world in general and for America specifically.

2. Why these shifts constitute a valid reason for re-examination of the laws in question and affirm the legitimacy of the illegal act of downloading.

3. What these shifts might represent to opponents of illegal downloading in terms of economic and psychological paradigms.

4. A compare and contrast between the probable outcomes of totally unrestricted illegal downloading versus a complete legal clampdown on the activity.

5. A workable solution which incorporates the basic interests of all involved parties but which also takes into account the cultural shifts in societal attitudes and economic drives. This will also differentiate between the primary forms of intellectual property being downloaded, i.e. computer software versus the purely artistic output of music and video.

I will reserve my conclusion for summation and final opposing view rebuttal.

Death Star III has had to pull out of all his debates so a new participant will have to be found to debate that downloading is illegal theft and should be banned.

Edited by AztecInca

• 4 weeks later...

Edit: Only members who wish to apply for the position or debate organisers may post within a deabtes thread.

Edited by AztecInca

• 2 weeks later...

If no debater is found within the next week this debate will have to be closed.

• 4 weeks later...

People who can pay for it should pay and others who can not afford it can get it for free. This is the only case i think that would help.

Blue Lizard only those competing, debate organiser or those wishing to participate in a debate may post within a formal debates thread.

As no one has registered interest in competing on the remaining side of this argument I must close this thread down. However this topic can be revisited in the future and I encourage all members to find an opponent for this debate or any other debates that failed to finish and they can be re-opened. :tu: