Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

French outrage over 'filthy' cheese

Still Waters

Indignation is growing among cheese-lovers in France and the US after Washington branded a type of French cheese as unfit for human consumption.

The US government slapped an import ban on mimolette cheese at the end of May, leaving 1.5 tonnes of the item impounded at a warehouse.

American food inspectors object to the use of mites to refine its flavour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23195183

This is probably more about people being squeamish rather than food safety. Cheese mites aren't toxic are they?

US food inspectors claiming that French cheese is "unfit for human consumption"??

Are they for real? What, then, do they label the gunk sold at Mac Donalds, Coca Cola, and the assorted Monsanto Frankenfood?

What an upside down world.

Give me the cheese at any time.

• Like 7

This is probably more about people being squeamish rather than food safety. Cheese mites aren't toxic are they?

To start with they got it wrong, Milbenkaese is made with Cheese mites (Tyrolichus casei) and Mimolette is made with Flour mites (Acarus siro). Both are quite innocuous to human health and, at least the Acarus siro, found in all kinds of natural food based on grains.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

Try seriously strong 12 year old Cheddar Cheese,made in the Cheddar Gorge, Somerset, England and you will never want anything else ever again.Oh and a pint of "Scrumpy Jack" to wash it down....Bliss.

• Like 4

Try seriously strong 12 year old Cheddar Cheese,made in the Cheddar Gorge, Somerset, England and you will never want anything else ever again.Oh and a pint of "Scrumpy Jack" to wash it down....Bliss.

Never hear of that, but I tried Stilton (and I liked it, and screw the US food inspectors). Is is stronger than that?

• Like 1

You mean to tell us that the stomach enzymes of newborn calves are more wholesome than cheese mites?

I wonder if it's anything like casu marzu cheese from Sardinia. It's illegal in the only place people want to eat it.

Are cheese flies worse than cheese mites?

http://mentalfloss.c...e-mediterranean

Wow, the things one can learn in this forum...

OK, I give up. In this case, I would side with the US food inspectors. A Big Mac is indeed more suitable for consumption than THAT.

Pheww...

Edited by Zaphod222
  • Like 1

Wow, the things one can learn in this forum...

OK, I give up. In this case, I would side with the US food inspectors. A Big Mac is indeed more suitable for consumption than THAT.

Pheww...

Well, have a good look at the curing procedure of the Spanish Peña Santa cheese... if you can stomach that you should have no more problems with cheese.

I can't stomach strong cheeses myself. I can only tolerate mild ones.

Me and cheese are best of buddies.

Sure, we fight sometimes, like in any relationship, and sometimes I do not like their friends(i.e. bleu cheese)

But that's just MY taste, and I have zero problem with those who like the many varieties of cheese.

• Like 1

I can't stomach strong cheeses myself. I can only tolerate mild ones.

Same here. I always buy mild cheese.

Never hear of that, but I tried Stilton (and I liked it, and screw the US food inspectors). Is is stronger than that?

No comparison as its a totally different taste to Stilton,and made differently.Sorry you can't bet any.

You mean to tell us that the stomach enzymes of newborn calves are more wholesome than cheese mites?

Err,where did you get that idea from ?.this cheese is made from full cream milk,which is stirred until the water separates,the whey is then treated or compacted and matured,without bugs,mites or any other nasty getting near it.

Err,where did you get that idea from ?.this cheese is made from full cream milk,which is stirred until the water separates,the whey is then treated or compacted and matured,without bugs,mites or any other nasty getting near it.

Cheddar recipe:

You will need 4 gallons or about 14 litres of whole cow’s or goat’s milk. To start the process of making cheddar cheese, bring the temperature of the milk to 86 degrees F or 30 degrees C. Now stir in ½ tsp. of mesophilic powder, (slightly round the ½ tsp of powder if the milk has been pasteurized).

Read more

I love the little food wars between the French and USA.

I wonder when the Yanks will revert back to calling French Fries, Foreign Fries again.

They do get their knickers in a twist, both of them.

• Like 2

Well, have a good look at the curing procedure of the Spanish Peña Santa cheese... if you can stomach that you should have no more problems with cheese.

Nothing "dodgy" there... no Cheese Mites just Rennet to separate the curds from the whey. In fact I find it a bit tame when compared with a good stilton or a vintage Cheddar

I LOVE a strong, aged cheddar. I tend to shy away from any cheese that is soft or "spreadable". I think I could exist for a long time on cheese and peanut butter :w00t:

post-39751-0-23327200-1373397488_thumb.j
  • Like 2

Nothing "dodgy" there... no Cheese Mites just Rennet to separate the curds from the whey. In fact I find it a bit tame when compared with a good stilton or a vintage Cheddar

How 'bout some traditional Cabrales then :innocent:

I've met very few cheeses I didn't like. I practically live on fruit and cheese...especially sottocenere with truffles.

• Like 1