Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant skeletons in North America/Grand Canyon

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#241    Fernand0

Fernand0

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

View PostHocus, on 15 August 2009 - 03:45 PM, said:

But as these blow Darwninism out of the water and pretty much most accepted history, they are filtered out and either called or hoax or they will smear anyone who dares to speak out.
You obviously don't know what head binding is or plagiocephaly is.

#242    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,413 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

View PostActual Facts, on 21 June 2010 - 02:30 AM, said:

Sounds like a bunch of assumptions thinly veiled in jargon with no supporting evidence.

Do you claim the giant so-called "axes" were actually chiseled by Homo floresiensis?

Jargon? The terminology utilized is common amongst even amateur flint-knappers (some of whom, by the way, are quite adept).

Assumptions? Quite the contrary. The technical analysis of lithic modification is a field subject to quite intense and ongoing study. Just for starters;

Sullivan and Rosen
"Debitage Analysis and Archaeological Interpretation"
American Antiquity, Vol. 50 No. 4, pp 755-779

More available upon request.

H. floresiensis? While your reference clearly states that no temporal assignment has been established, the geographic factors alone would lead one to question the point behind this question.

Chiseled? A remarkable display of ones knowledge of the modification techniques involved.

#243    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

View PostActual Facts, on 20 June 2010 - 02:45 AM, said:

"We want to make clear that the existence of giant people [in ancient times] ... must be regarded as a scientifically certain fact." -- Louis Burkhalter, paleontologist, 1950

The physical evidence that historical giants used long bows has also been rediscovered: giant flint arrowheads cleverly labeled as "axes" by mainstream coverup community have also been recovered in Africa.

Posted Image

"Although the first find was made in the 1990s, the discovery of four giant axes has not been scientifically reported until now. Four giant stone hand axes, measuring over 30 cm long and of uncertain age, were recovered from the lake basin." -- Oxford University, September 2009

Giant Stone-Age Axes Found In African Lake Basin, University of Oxford, Sep 2009

Exactly.

Swede's explanation is actually quite correct, these are most definitly not arrowheads. Anybody who has ever made flint arrowheads could tell you that. This said, I also think you misinterpret the article entirely. In fact the article is more interested in what this find says about the out of Africa migration route.

Professor Thomas said: ‘The interior of southern Africa has usually been seen as being devoid of significant archaeology. Surprisingly, we have found and logged incredibly extensive Middle Stone Age artefacts spread over a vast area of the lake basin.

'The record the basin is revealing is one of marked human adaptation in the past. Early humans saw the opportunity to use the lake basin when it was not full of water, but at least seasonally dry. It shows that humans have adapted to climate change and variability in a sustained way.'

Many archaeologists believe that equivalent lakes in the North African Sahara desert played an important part in the ‘Out of Africa’ human expansion theory, as the ancestors of all modern humans would have chosen a wet route out of Africa. The new research is the first time that this giant Botswanan lake basin in southern Africa has been the focus of scientific research, and these findings could provide new evidence to support the theory about a hominid migration through and expansion from Africa.

From the same article btw.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#244    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 22 June 2010 - 06:51 AM, said:

Swede's explanation is actually quite correct, these are most definitly not arrowheads. Anybody who has ever made flint arrowheads could tell you that. This said, I also think you misinterpret the article entirely. In fact the article is more interested in what this find says about the out of Africa migration route.

From the same article btw.

Sounds interesting Searcher, could you post some links on the Botswana basin research and anything to do with the Sahara pre desert?

What is the latest skeptical explanation for the giant labrys axes from Knossos?

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#245    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

• 3,845 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

View PostSlimJim22, on 22 June 2010 - 09:23 AM, said:

Sounds interesting Searcher, could you post some links on the Botswana basin research and anything to do with the Sahara pre desert?

What is the latest skeptical explanation for the giant labrys axes from Knossos?

Matey, you'll have to look for it yourself, since the research is still ongoing as such. Might take a while till results are known.

I don't think the latest explanation for the giant labrys axes has ever changed to be honest. The labrys might have been used during sacrifices. The sacrifices would likely have been of bulls. The labrys symbol has been found widely in the Bronze Age archaeological recovery at the Palace of Knossos on Crete. According to archaeological finds on Crete this double-axe was used specifically by Minoan priestesses for ceremonial uses. Of all the Minoan religious symbols, the axe was the holiest.

Publilius Syrus.

#246    Fernand0

Fernand0

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

Medieval man also made us of giant axes, were they 20 feet tall?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardiche

Posted Image

Axes that large may also have been experimental prototypes.

#247    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 22 June 2010 - 09:47 AM, said:

Matey, you'll have to look for it yourself, since the research is still ongoing as such. Might take a while till results are known.

I don't think the latest explanation for the giant labrys axes has ever changed to be honest. The labrys might have been used during sacrifices. The sacrifices would likely have been of bulls. The labrys symbol has been found widely in the Bronze Age archaeological recovery at the Palace of Knossos on Crete. According to archaeological finds on Crete this double-axe was used specifically by Minoan priestesses for ceremonial uses. Of all the Minoan religious symbols, the axe was the holiest.

Will do, I really like the serpent statue in Botswana dating to 70,000bce so will check the research out later.

Were the pictures I've seen of the incredibly large labrys a fake then. I am sure they could do it on photoshop but the picture had people standing in shot to give perspective and i was relatively convinced that they were too heavy for a normal sized individual to handle. I shall look for the picture later.

There is an occult mystery about the lords of Sidon in masonry and this is all to do with the Axe as a symbol. Sorry to drift off topic but my suggestions of Morley as evidence of Giants has been quashed before and this is all I currently have.

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#248    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Here is a link to the pictures I refered to. They look about three times the size of a normal axe making the wielder three times the size. The only other possibility is that they were purely decorative but this seems quite unlikely. Put into context with the Phillistines and the Apocrypha books of the OT I think it is strong evidence of giants in the old world. Maybe they were really good swimmers like Phelps X 3.

http://www.undergrou...m-of-herakleion

Edited by SlimJim22, 22 June 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#249    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

But as these blow Darwninism out of the water and pretty much most accepted history, they are filtered out and either called or hoax or they will smear anyone who dares to speak out.

A clear sign of someone not having a clue about what the hell they are talking about and demonstrating very clearly that they know nothing at all about evolution.

But Actual Facts wouldn't let his ignorance get in the way.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#250    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

View PostActual Facts, on 21 June 2010 - 06:20 AM, said:

At least that hypothesis has more scientific evidence supporting it than Darwinian evolution.

There is no hypothesis in the post you are replying to and if you are talking about evolutionary theory, because the Darwinian thing throws me off, then there is not another theory in any field of science that has as much supporting evidence as the theory of evolution.

#251    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

View PostActual Facts, on 21 June 2010 - 06:20 AM, said:

At least that hypothesis has more scientific evidence supporting it than Darwinian evolution.
Only if you ignore the overwhelmingly vast amount of evidence supporting evolution.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#252    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,413 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:11 AM

View PostSlimJim22, on 22 June 2010 - 04:11 PM, said:

Here is a link to the pictures I refered to. They look about three times the size of a normal axe making the wielder three times the size. The only other possibility is that they were purely decorative but this seems quite unlikely. Put into context with the Phillistines and the Apocrypha books of the OT I think it is strong evidence of giants in the old world. Maybe they were really good swimmers like Phelps X 3.

SJ - Time-lines. Minoan civilization = bronze age. Even Wiki is pretty close on this one. 4700 BP- 3500 BP. No forensic evidence of giants. Also no structural evidence of giants. This time period, while certainly worthy of continuing research, would not tend to support the position that "giants roamed the earth". In actuality, this time period is not all that old.

For a somewhat interesting article on the significance of the double-bit axe, you may find the below of interest. Bottom line, they were likely "ceremonial" in nature. Not unlike speculation in regards to the Wenatchee Cache.

Hodge, A. Trevor
"The Labrys: Why was the Double Axe Double?"
American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 89, No. 2 pp. 307-308

The above may possibly accessed via the A.I.A website.

#253    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

• 3,845 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:35 AM

View PostSlimJim22, on 22 June 2010 - 04:11 PM, said:

The fact that they were purely decorative is actually stronger than you would think. Although the double-headed axe remains a forestry tool to this day and the labrys certainly functioned as a tool,it was invested with symbolic function as well.

According to archaeological finds on Crete this double-axe was used specifically by Minoan priestesses for ceremonial uses. Of all the Minoan religious symbols, the axe was the holiest. To find such an axe in the hands of a Minoan woman would suggest strongly that she held a powerful position within the Minoan culture. In the Near East and other parts of the region, axes of this sort are often wielded by male divinities and appear to become symbols of the thunderbolt, but in Crete, unlike the Near East, this axe is never held by a male divinity, only by female divinities and her priestesses.

Another example of the symbolisme of the labrys, it is associated with an archaic symbol of the thunder deity whom Zeus and others become as storm gods wielding their thunder weapons. Take the Nordic god Thor, who hurls his mjolnir to cast thunder and lightning upon the earth, or Indra, who uses his favorite weapon the vajra. Similarly, Zeus throws his labrys, or pelekys, which Zeus uses to invoke storm.

So you see, the labrys was a powerful symbol and as such, will have been extensively used in decoration.  Knowing this, it's not really surprising they would build giant versions of it as decoration. Priests being preists, they needed their symbols to be impressive and intimidating. Decorative is what they were and not an indication of giants.

Besides there is the point made by Swede : No forensic evidence of giants.

View PostMattshark, on 22 June 2010 - 11:44 PM, said:

Only if you ignore the overwhelmingly vast amount of evidence supporting evolution.

Reminds me of Total Science, he also used quotes all the time and didn't let reality get in his way. A scary thought just occured, what if it is TS, reborn like some phoenix from his ashes?

View PostSwede, on 23 June 2010 - 02:11 AM, said:

SJ - Time-lines. Minoan civilization = bronze age. Even Wiki is pretty close on this one. 4700 BP- 3500 BP. No forensic evidence of giants. Also no structural evidence of giants. This time period, while certainly worthy of continuing research, would not tend to support the position that "giants roamed the earth". In actuality, this time period is not all that old.

For a somewhat interesting article on the significance of the double-bit axe, you may find the below of interest. Bottom line, they were likely "ceremonial" in nature. Not unlike speculation in regards to the Wenatchee Cache.

Hodge, A. Trevor
"The Labrys: Why was the Double Axe Double?"
American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 89, No. 2 pp. 307-308

The above may possibly accessed via the A.I.A website.

You wouldn't have the URL for that by any chance? I'd be interested to read that.

Publilius Syrus.

#254    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,413 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:21 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 23 June 2010 - 05:35 AM, said:

The fact that they were purely decorative is actually stronger than you would think. Although the double-headed axe remains a forestry tool to this day and the labrys certainly functioned as a tool,it was invested with symbolic function as well.

According to archaeological finds on Crete this double-axe was used specifically by Minoan priestesses for ceremonial uses. Of all the Minoan religious symbols, the axe was the holiest. To find such an axe in the hands of a Minoan woman would suggest strongly that she held a powerful position within the Minoan culture. In the Near East and other parts of the region, axes of this sort are often wielded by male divinities and appear to become symbols of the thunderbolt, but in Crete, unlike the Near East, this axe is never held by a male divinity, only by female divinities and her priestesses.

Another example of the symbolisme of the labrys, it is associated with an archaic symbol of the thunder deity whom Zeus and others become as storm gods wielding their thunder weapons. Take the Nordic god Thor, who hurls his mjolnir to cast thunder and lightning upon the earth, or Indra, who uses his favorite weapon the vajra. Similarly, Zeus throws his labrys, or pelekys, which Zeus uses to invoke storm.

So you see, the labrys was a powerful symbol and as such, will have been extensively used in decoration.  Knowing this, it's not really surprising they would build giant versions of it as decoration. Priests being preists, they needed their symbols to be impressive and intimidating. Decorative is what they were and not an indication of giants.

Besides there is the point made by Swede : No forensic evidence of giants.

Reminds me of Total Science, he also used quotes all the time and didn't let reality get in his way. A scary thought just occured, what if it is TS, reborn like some phoenix from his ashes?

You wouldn't have the URL for that by any chance? I'd be interested to read that.

Searcher - Apologies for the slow reply. Most (!) consumed with field work/research/reports. Seasonality is an ongoing reality in this field. Was not able to find a direct link. If you do not have access to the A.J.A publications, I could provide (construct/distill) an abstract of the paper.

#255    Lopez7vii

Lopez7vii

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• "I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work"- Thomas Edison

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:34 AM

"Blocked by the government" It may be possible. There are some things that are best kept secret from the public, but only for National Security. But I don't think this has to do in relation to National Security.

There are no mysteries, there are no questions.
There is only truth, the rest are paths.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users