Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama Will Accept Nobel Prize With 'Humility'

AROCES

SHANGHAI -- President Barack Obama says he will accept the Nobel Peace Prize with "great humility", though it's not an honor he feels he deserves.

Obama says he believes the Nobel committee was inspired by the American people. He says he is a symbol of the shift in world affairs that his administration is trying to promote.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/as_obama_nobel_prize/2009/11/16/286520.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• aquatus1

• preacherman76

• shaka5

SHANGHAI -- President Barack Obama says he will accept the Nobel Peace Prize with "great humility", though it's not an honor he feels he deserves.

Obama says he believes the Nobel committee was inspired by the American people. He says he is a symbol of the shift in world affairs that his administration is trying to promote.

i bet he keeps the prize money. and what did he do to win this, why he was in office for 11 days.

I guess he thinks he deserves it for TALKING.

Nice job reading the first sentence of your article.

Nice job reading the first sentence of your article.

Well, you dont seem to read and understand.

He is accepting it, right?

I have my doubts about the committee being inspired by the American people. And I wonder while he was preaching world peace to the Chinese students if praised chairman Mao?...the 'great philosopher'.

Boy...do we have one now? Any chance we could give him...Pelosi...Reid and all like minded a couple of states and let them be a sovereign nation? I would be willing to pay for that...we would be money ahead.

seax B)

No. Graciously is manners. Civility. It is a sign of culture, and a willingness to do things in a manner other than that of barbarians. Graciousness is not merely courtesy, it is kindness, generosity of spirit, and even charm. Something, frankly, that the ugly American has been wanting of late.

Is it any surprise that the world considers Obama to be a revolutionary leader? They haven't seen an American act like him in a long, long time.

No. Graciously is manners. Civility. It is a sign of culture, and a willingness to do things in a manner other than that of barbarians. Graciousness is not merely courtesy, it is kindness, generosity of spirit, and even charm. Something, frankly, that the ugly American has been wanting of late.

Is it any surprise that the world considers Obama to be a revolutionary leader? They haven't seen an American act like him in a long, long time.

Excatly my point, just sugar coating, the bottom line is he is stil accepting it.

The world???? You mean the Liberals of the world, like those running the Nobel Peace Prize, I guess it does not matter the controversy and negative image this award gave the institution.

How can you in the first place consider him a revolutionary leader when all he has done so far is win an election, it's like giving an award to Fidel Castro and his revolution upon over throwing of the current government.

Do you want him? :D

You can have him..thank God he's one of a kind.

seax B)

Excatly my point, just sugar coating, the bottom line is he is stil accepting it.

No. The bottom line is that he is accepting it graciously.

The world???? You mean the Liberals of the world, like those running the Nobel Peace Prize,

No. I mean the world. The people who have had to deal with the Americans on a personal basis, as opposed to the ones who have only dealt with Americans at formal functions.

I guess it does not matter the controversy and negative image this award gave the institution.

Not particularly. The damage was barely noticeable.

How can you in the first place consider him a revolutionary leader when all he has done so far is win an election,

Well, I would be speaking for others, but I suspect they consider him a revolutionary leader because he is presenting a side of America they never expected to see.

it's like giving an award to Fidel Castro and his revolution upon over throwing of the current government.

Yes, just like that. :rolleyes:

Do you want him? :D

You can have him..thank God he's one of a kind.

Nah. He's good were he is.

Edited by aquatus1

oh bullocks! Barack Hussein Obama gets another Noble Peace Prize and hasn't been in office for one year yet!!!!!!! It's freaking <-- want to say other word, to think that he can get all these awards, attend all these parties, and then no one think anything about it! I'll be so glad to see this nation collapse so we can start over and give back to the people what was their's to begin with!

No. The bottom line is that he is accepting it graciously.

Alright, ACCEPTING graciously for he does not deserve it.blink.gif

No. I mean the world. The people who have had to deal with the Americans on a personal basis, as opposed to the ones who have only dealt with Americans at formal functions.

Your world, not the world then.

Not particularly. The damage was barely noticeable.

Yes, in your world it may not be.

Well, I would be speaking for others, but I suspect they consider him a revolutionary leader because he is presenting a side of America they never expected to see.

Yes, just like that. rolleyes.gif

See, at least we agreed on something.wink2.gif

Awe shucks...though i had a sucker... :( you popped my bubble....

seax B)

yea since carter.

He agrees with you.

You believe I'm the only person who has ever had to deal with Americans personally? Okay then...

In my world, it isn't. In your world, it is. In the world where it actually matters, the world of the Nobel prize, the damage was minimal.

'Course we did!

See how important sugar-coating is?

He agrees with you.

Nope for he is accepting it.

In my world, it isn't. In your world, it is. In the world where it actually matters, the world of the Nobel prize, the damage was minimal.

See, we agreed again. Your world where you think it matters.thumbsup.gif

Nope for he is accepting it.

You said he does not deserve it. He said he does not deserve it. Ergo, you both agree.

See, we agreed again. Your world where you think it matters.thumbsup.gif

I agree. And I agreed before, so I'm not sure why you are repeating it. In my world, it doesn't matter. In your world, it does. However, that is neither here nor there. After all, neither of our worlds mean much of anything to the world the Nobel Prize matters in. In the world of the Nobel Prize, your disdain and my indifference is irrelevant.

You said he does not deserve it. He said he does not deserve it. Ergo, you both agree.

Not quite

He said one thing and does another.

Well, he is a politician.

Not quite

He said one thing and does another.

Oh? How so?

That one does not deserve a compliment is no reason to not accept one graciously. The proper response is a humble attitude and a quiet acceptance.

Accept, of course, in the U.S., which is so uncomfortable with civility that upon being given an award, they hide their embarrassment with a joking "Damn, I'm good!", followed by a self-deprecating laugh, to let everyone know they didn't really mean it.

Almost as if gruffness were some proof of virility.

Well, he is a politician.

And an excellent tactician.

You were never taught to accept things graciously?

You don't accept an award you never did anything to earn, not even graciously. That just makes you look like an ass in my opinion.

You don't accept an award you never did anything to earn, not even graciously. That just makes you look like an ass in my opinion.

That is precisely what I been trying to say in a graciously manner.

LOLlaugh.gif

As opposed to going to an organization that wishes to thank you for something and saying "Thanks, but no thanks." and leaving them awkwardly standing with award in hand.

In one stroke, you've told them their opinion of you is worthless and their award meaningless. You've also left them in an embarrassing position where they have to decide to either not give the award out that year, which would reinforce the worthlessness of that award, or give it to a runner-up, in a ceremony which will have the uncomfortable feeling of "Well, you weren't our first choice, but here you go! Good on you!"

Accepting a compliment graciously is what prevents you from being an ass.

That is precisely what I been trying to say in a graciously manner.

LOLlaugh.gif

Well, I believe I already commented on how different cultures view manners. It really is not that surprising that you consider your approach to be gracious. And it is a pretty good example regarding why Obama is considered such a novelty.

though it's not an honor he feels he deserves

Id dont know what he have done ...So he is correct in saying it

Thanks

B???

Accepting is accepting, graciously is sugar coating.

Hmm, I wonder if you would still be so outraged had they decided to give the prize to Sarah Palin, or some other Republican Politician you like? :rolleyes: