Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Power To The Parents


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Quote


POWER TO THE PARENTS: THE FIGHT FOR HOME-SCHOOL RIGHTS


Editor’s note: For TheBlaze Magazine‘s June cover story, Assistant Editor Sharon Ambrose dug into the history and success of — and Progressive attacks on — home-schooling.
What she found was, despite a history of proven great accomplishment in the home-education movement, the Left continues to wage war on home-schoolers. And these attacks aren’t new.

Progressives first made the case in the early 20th century that government control trumps the rights of parents. What will the assault look like in the 21st century?

Every issue of TheBlaze Magazine contains exclusive content not found anywhere else — online or in print. The magazine’s stories, research and special reports are reserved for subscribers to the print and/or digital edition.

Below are a few excerpts from the June 2013 cover story, “Government Rule vs. Home-School: Parental Guidance Not Suggested.” Get the full story only in the June issue of TheBlaze Magazine.

Angie Blad never planned on home-schooling her children.

The Nebraska mother of six sent her kids to the local public schools without a second thought. That is until her son, then in first grade, was not allowed to participate in a classroom learning game because he was winning too much. Instead of participating, the teacher had him sit in a rocking chair while the other students engaged in the competition.

When Blad contacted the teacher, she was told that, because no advanced programming was available for students until third grade, her son would have to sit out sometimes to allow other students the chance to succeed. This incident led Blad and her husband to start considering home-schooling as an option. That was three years ago. Today, while one of Blad’s children remains in a special education public school program, the other five are being educated at home.


For more, see: http://www.theblaze....-school-rights/


#2    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

  • Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

I'd home school my kids, personally.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5


#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,407 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

I can understand why the teacher did that.  This kid was exceptionally smart and the other kids never had a chance to win against him and therefore were probably not participating like they should.

I noticed she didn't want to take the time with her kid that needed special education.  That kid probably needs more attention than the others.


#4    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

    Heatseeker

  • Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Joined:19 Dec 2003
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Avengers Tower

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 23 May 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'd home school my kids, personally.

If you want them to learn, it's probably a good idea. I'm going the easy route and not having any. I don't want to raise any in this craphole of a world.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#5    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

  • Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 23 May 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

If you want them to learn, it's probably a good idea. I'm going the easy route and not having any. I don't want to raise any in this craphole of a world.

I'm with you there :w00t: but accidents can and will happen :innocent:

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5


#6    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 23 May 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

I'd home school my kids, personally.

Such a hard decision though. If I have kids I want them to question everything and be taught much better than in school. I don't want them "indoctrinated". But it's the social aspect I worry about. Bullying is a huge issue, but for the friends they could potentially make and the experiences they might miss out on. I guess you'd have to try and get your child to attend some social clubs or something. Well even better take your child to social events. Camping or something like that would be good. Nature, and survival skills, probably the best things you can pass down to a child really. On topic though, it should definitly be a free choice by the parents how thye educate their children. Government should never be able to force schooling.

Edited by Coffey, 23 May 2013 - 05:41 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

  • Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostCoffey, on 23 May 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Such a hard decision though. If I have kids I want them to question everything and be taught much better than in school. I don't want them "indoctrinated". But it's the social aspect I worry about. Bullying is a huge issue, but for the friends they could potentially make and the experiences they might miss out on. I guess you'd have to try and get your child to attend some social clubs or something. Well even better take your child to social events. Camping or something like that would be good. Nature, and survival skills, probably the best things you can pass down to a child really. On topic though, it should definitly be a free choice by the parents how thye educate their children. Government should never be able to force schooling.

Absolutely, gotta ensure they're fed socially too. Sadly, I could imagine governments banning home schooling in the future and claim that it's some form of neglect and if you don't send them to state school...they take them away.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5


#8    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 23 May 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Absolutely, gotta ensure they're fed socially too. Sadly, I could imagine governments banning home schooling in the future and claim that it's some form of neglect and if you don't send them to state school...they take them away.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised. Probably blame nut cases doing shootings as social outcasts who didn't attend public schools or something.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#9    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

  • Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostCoffey, on 23 May 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised. Probably blame nut cases doing shootings as social outcasts who didn't attend public schools or something.

Lol right!!!

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5


#10    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

I'm definitely homeschooling my son when he's old enough. Already working on his English Literature Curriculum....
:)

On another note, I was homeschooled for my last years in High School, which allowed me to graduate earlier and I was able to take college level courses online, that were not available at the public High School. My husband was homeschooled, also.


#11    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Joined:10 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

  • Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

I find the idea of home schooling more natural than what we have now. After all, parents school their offspring in the wild. Teaching comes best from your mom and dad, imo.

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 23 May 2013 - 06:07 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5


#12    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,554 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Sadly home schooling is not possible for many... Sometimes the parents just aren't good educators, and sometimes they just don't have the time or resources to do it (both have to work, etc)... (Remember - some parents are just rock stupid too...)

Equally sadly, home schooling is necessary...

The socializing shouldn't be a major problem - just get your kids to play/interact with other kids when not in class...

I would not be surprised to find neighborhood parents "clubbing together" to form their own 'home school district' and combining their time/ skills and resources to teach their children collectively...


#13    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostTaun, on 23 May 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Sadly home schooling is not possible for many... Sometimes the parents just aren't good educators, and sometimes they just don't have the time or resources to do it (both have to work, etc)... (Remember - some parents are just rock stupid too...)

Equally sadly, home schooling is necessary...

The socializing shouldn't be a major problem - just get your kids to play/interact with other kids when not in class...

I would not be surprised to find neighborhood parents "clubbing together" to form their own 'home school district' and combining their time/ skills and resources to teach their children collectively...

I know. It's a difficult decision. But there are a lot different things you can do from home, and there are certain jobs you can do from home also, so it's not as limited as it used to be for stay at home, homeschooling mothers. It just depends on priorities. Is it more important for you to bring in that paycheck to pay off another brand new car, or is your child's education and well being more important?


#14    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,554 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostKowalski, on 23 May 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

I know. It's a difficult decision. But there are a lot different things you can do from home, and there are certain jobs you can do from home also, so it's not as limited as it used to be for stay at home, homeschooling mothers. It just depends on priorities. Is it more important for you to bring in that paycheck to pay off another brand new car, or is your child's education and well being more important?

These days it's more about keeping a roof over your head and putting food on the table for most (not to mention saving for your -home schooled - kids college)...

One advantage to home schooling is that BOTH parents can participate... The one with the full time - away from home job - can pitch in after coming home - class hours don't have to be 7 to 3 (or when ever)


#15    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostTaun, on 23 May 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

These days it's more about keeping a roof over your head and putting food on the table for most (not to mention saving for your -home schooled - kids college)...

One advantage to home schooling is that BOTH parents can participate... The one with the full time - away from home job - can pitch in after coming home - class hours don't have to be 7 to 3 (or when ever)

Your right. Some people really don't have choice. They both have to work to make ends meet.

But, I do see people, who could homeschool their kids but they don't want to give up their lifestyle of going to the nail salon, having a brand new car, Iphone, etc. What's really sad is the people who think they can't live without these things. :no:

I know of many stories about stay at home mom's who have run business's from home, and were able to homeschool their children too. So you don't necessarily have to give up your job to stay at home with your child. There are alot of different options out there nowadays. I wish you could have a type of "communal" homeschooling like you suggested in one post. Maybe parents could get together and homeschool their children together, with one parent teaching whenever that person is off, and they can all take turns....Or maybe one of the parents who works from home or something, can teach the kids.....
That'd be pretty neat....





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users