Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Morality? Something isn't working.

None of the above

I absolutely have to agree with you on this one. Sometimes it amazes me as to what people will decry as immoral, all the while turning a blind eye to that which is far more immoral.

• Like 7

I absolutely have to agree with you on this one. Sometimes it amazes me as to what people will decry as immoral, all the while turning a blind eye to that which is far more immoral.

I found this picture online and it just blew me away.

There is something so fundamentally wrong in the world. Sometimes you see something and you realise the depth of our failure.

• Like 5

Great, now I feel like smacking a self-righteous fundamentalist across the head. That's so unlike me.

This picture sends a powerful message.

• Like 4

Any religious person who thinks God is finger wagging at us for homosexuality (an expression of Love), considering all the atrocities being carried out around the world, is seriously screwed up in the brain.

• Like 7

While some or a lot of Christians do consider being gay as immoral they also run charities to feed the worlds hungry.

• Like 2

I have to agree with that one. I really believe organized religion has a warped sense of morality. Which is why it doesn't work well are a moral guide.

• Like 1

I have to agree with that one. I really believe organized religion has a warped sense of morality. Which is why it doesn't work well are a moral guide.

Religion isn't working.

• Like 6

I think that the "religious right" spends way too much time obsessing over who has sex and how. Why can't these "holier than thou" people use their time, money, and energy helping worthy causes? It truly angers me.

• Like 2

While some or a lot of Christians do consider being gay as immoral they also run charities to feed the worlds hungry.

It's not just Christians.

And it's not the good people of any religion that cause the problems is it?

• Like 1

The Old Testament clearly says that practicing male homosexuality is punishable by death. Does anything in the New Testament retract this like eating shellfish?

Of course the Bible says that mouthing off to your parents is punishable by death so many of us never would have made it to adulthood by these laws. Also that relationship between David and Jonathan sounded suspiciously close to me. In their last parting, one of them said their love was greater than a man for a woman. Hmmm.

The Old Testament repeatedly demands helping the poor and hungry although there is no death sentence associated with it. Well, God did throw some plagues at them but those were for general disobedience.

Why does religion, any religion, have to dragged into the discussion? Surely compassion, empathy, respect for the dignity and freedom of others, and 'morality' are all unifying common denominators all human beings share; regardless of religious faith. Generalizations, stereotypes, and finger pointing are so easily and readily conjured up by both atheists and theists, that the only thing that becomes obvious is that lack of tolerance is what many on both sides share!

• Like 5

I'm not super well versed in all religions, but to me Christianity seems like the most self-contradictory of all. Mostly because of the antagonistic nature of NT vs OT. So many Christians quote the OT that I usually end up asking them to convert to Judaism. Which itself has some weird moral guidelines: selling your daughter to slavery is ok, eating shellfish is a horrible sin. Burning your daughter to death is ok, but eating pork is strictly prohibited. Killing a man is ok (as long as you say God told you to), working on a Saturday is strictly forbidden. Having sex with your daughters and impregnating them is ok, lending money to a fellow Jew (for interest) is strictly forbidden. The list goes on and on.

These things probably made sense 2,000 years ago, and probably contributed to their longevity, but I think we have evolved passed that. I'd say some communities today, either religious or non-religious, have significantly higher moral standards than anything in the bible.

Why does religion, any religion, have to dragged into the discussion? Surely compassion, empathy, respect for the dignity and freedom of others, and 'morality' are all unifying common denominators all human beings share; regardless of religious faith. Generalizations, stereotypes, and finger pointing are so easily and readily conjured up by both atheists and theists, that the only thing that becomes obvious is that lack of tolerance is what many on both sides share!

because Religion mostly works against our moral evolution towards greater compassion, empathy, and respect for others.

• Like 3

Why does religion, any religion, have to dragged into the discussion?

Religion doesn't have to be dragged into the discussion -- it will cheerfully rush into the discussion on its own since it's the base of Western morality.

Surely compassion, empathy, respect for the dignity and freedom of others, and 'morality' are all unifying common denominators all human beings share; regardless of religious faith.

Um, you might want to look into the histories of various religions and nations. For example there's a reason why India and Pakistan were made separate countries. It wasn't because "compassion, empathy, respect for the dignity and freedom of others" is a common human denominator.

Some days the problems of the world seem insurmountable.

I guess some of them are. :hmm:

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

Religion is part of the problem because some people use it as an excuse for intollerence. But so are other things. Rampant comsumerism, and the worst excesses of capitalism. Corruption and greed, bigotry and hatred, take your pick. It all combines to royaly screw the average person to some extent or another and many don't even realise they are being bent over.

It doesn't have to be like this.

• Like 3

sadly, nothing shocks me anymore.

the picture on the right in the OP makes me feel an incredible ache in my being

• Like 1

Religion doesn't have to be dragged into the discussion -- it will cheerfully rush into the discussion on its own since it's the base of Western morality.

Um, you might want to look into the histories of various religions and nations. For example there's a reason why India and Pakistan were made separate countries. It wasn't because "compassion, empathy, respect for the dignity and freedom of others" is a common human denominator.

Morality and ethics exist with or without religion, and among all nations, just as much as cruelty and 'hard heartedness'. Your second statement seems to affirm this duality of human nature. If intolerance and lack of empathy do exist outside the influence of religion, that it can not be viewed as the sole 'incitor' of intolerance, and other contributing factors must also be included in the argument if one wants to avoid slipping into oversimplification and value judgment.

Religion is part of the problem because some people use it as an excuse for intollerence. But so are other things. Rampant comsumerism, and the worst excesses of capitalism. Corruption and greed, bigotry and hatred, take your pick. It all combines to royaly screw the average person to some extent or another and many don't even realise they are being bent over.

I agree with you Atlantia. My objection was for the use of religion as an ever-ready label always available to explain any anything and everything, that and the tendency to summerize groups of people into a pre-defined category then judging them accordingly.

Just curious, do you have an alternative for the capitalist system of today? Or you simply want to bring awareness to that issue?