Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

why is homophobia commonplace?

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#31    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 27 February 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

We have to use words with the meanings they have, not the meanings one infers from their root origins.  The meaning of "homophobic" is not "fearing gays," but more like hating them, and it is therefore often listed in the prejudices people exhibit.

You are right, however, in that the English suffix "-phobe" more often refers to irrational fear.  If one is arachnophobic, one does not just fear spiders but is terrified of them beyond rationality.  It's just that as the word evolved, "homophobic" has a different meaning.

The label 'homophobia' is applied to anyone who disagrees with what homosexuals are doing.

Homosexuality is no longer listed as a mental illness. When we search psychology to find out why we dont discover that psychologists found evidence showing it wasnt mental illness. What is revealed is it was taken off the list simply because human rights groops were demanding more freedoms for them.

Therefore I'm against homosexuality because I see it as a symptom of mental illness and specifically a sociopathic disorder. As a young child a combination of abusive parents, poor diet and genetics triggers a sociopathic disorder. The disorder stops certain areas of the brain developing properly including those that control sexuality.

I'm also against it on religious grounds however after reading the bible I think there are misconceptions promoted by the Church. The only unforgivable sin according to the Holy book is blasphemy. Homosexuality can be forgiven and theres passages in Matthew where homosexuals have been forgiven.

I'm also not a liberal I'm conservative.

#32    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,568 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Do you have any proof for homosexuality being a mental illness?

One of my best friends is a homosexual and he has never been abused. And classifying hm as a sociopath is, well, very very offensive to say the least. He lives a normal everyday life.

#33    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

One of my best friends is a homosexual and he has never been abused. And classifying hm as a sociopath is, well, very very offensive to say the least. He lives a normal everyday life.
Ditto. My father's homosexual and he's perfectly normal.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#34    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,819 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

Asking Mr Right Wing if he has any proof for his Opinions? :unsure2:

it is an interesting question to ponder as to why some people, who, as has been seen in this thread, are very keen to point out that they consider the idea of two men getting it On disgusting and that it revolts them to the pit of their stomach, do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about it, and coming up with fatuous cod-psychological "explanations". perhaps, if it does make them Sick to the Pit of their Stomach, people might prefer to devote their attention to other matters? Or is it that they're (as often does seem to be the case) afraid that the Gays will find them so irresistible that they're afraid (or are they? :unsure2:  :innocent: ) that they'll Try it On with them? :innocent:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#35    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I really couldn't care what gender floats someone's boat.  I find a person attractive based (first impression) on looks and then personality, more so than gender.

#36    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 27 February 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Asking Mr Right Wing if he has any proof for his Opinions? :unsure2:

it is an interesting question to ponder as to why some people, who, as has been seen in this thread, are very keen to point out that they consider the idea of two men getting it On disgusting and that it revolts them to the pit of their stomach, do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about it, and coming up with fatuous cod-psychological "explanations". perhaps, if it does make them Sick to the Pit of their Stomach, people might prefer to devote their attention to other matters? Or is it that they're (as often does seem to be the case) afraid that the Gays will find them so irresistible that they're afraid (or are they? :unsure2:  :innocent: ) that they'll Try it On with them? :innocent:

http://www.sociopath...sociopathy.html

Below the age of 5 your mind isnt developed. Any hiccups preventing correct development of your personality (psychological trauma, genetic traights) result in personality disorders. Certain regions are undeveloped in a sociopaths mind including the parts dealing with sexuality. Hence a sociopath has no set sexuality.

Are all homosexuals sociopaths? I'm not going to jump the gun based on what I or anybody else wants to be true. If someone can prove all homosexuals are not sociopaths then please be my guest but I will only accept a peer reviewed psychology paper and preferrably from a neutral country not a liberal one.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 27 February 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#37    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,568 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

We don't have to prove that they are not sociopaths, you have to prove that they are if you make such a claim. That's the way it goes.

#38    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,819 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 27 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

http://www.sociopath...sociopathy.html

Below the age of 5 your mind isnt developed. Any hiccups preventing correct development of your personality (psychological trauma, genetic traights) result in personality disorders. Certain regions are undeveloped in a sociopaths mind including the parts dealing with sexuality. Hence a sociopath has no set sexuality.

Are all homosexuals sociopaths? I'm not going to jump the gun based on what I or anybody else wants to be true. If someone can prove all homosexuals are not sociopaths then please be my guest but I will only accept a peer reviewed psychology paper and preferrably from a neutral country not a liberal one.
Do you actually know any Homosexualists? If you do, would you describe them as Sociopaths?
"oh no", you'll say, "i never have any contact with Them." Well, I think you might be surprised. There might well be, among the people you meet on a day to day basis, one or two Homosexualists among them. Yes, I know, believe it or not, it's not always immediatedly apparent.

And the funniest bit of all in your little cod-psychological treatise must be "preferrably from a neutral country not a liberal one." Like, lolz. What countries would meet your criteria them? Presumably not the US or Uk, or anywhere in Europe. Perhaps Saudi Arabia?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

I'm also against it on religious grounds however after reading the bible I think there are misconceptions promoted by the Church. The only unforgivable sin according to the Holy book is blasphemy. Homosexuality can be forgiven and theres passages in Matthew where homosexuals have been forgiven.

I would say that it is accurate to describe you as homophobic, in the sense of prejudiced.  It is the racial equivalent of racist and the sexual equivalent of sexist.

#40    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

The claim that homosexuals are "sociopaths" is really beyond the realm of reasonable discussion, much like a claim that railroad trains are used to ship goods over the ocean.

#41    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,177 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

The label 'homophobia' is applied to anyone who disagrees with what homosexuals are doing.

Homosexuality is no longer listed as a mental illness. When we search psychology to find out why we dont discover that psychologists found evidence showing it wasnt mental illness. What is revealed is it was taken off the list simply because human rights groops were demanding more freedoms for them.

Therefore I'm against homosexuality because I see it as a symptom of mental illness and specifically a sociopathic disorder. As a young child a combination of abusive parents, poor diet and genetics triggers a sociopathic disorder. The disorder stops certain areas of the brain developing properly including those that control sexuality.

Sorry I can't provide some sort of link, but way back in the 70's they had discovered that homosexuality has a genetic component. A certain combination of the X and Y chromosomes.  It's old news.

Thus your claim that it is some sort of mental illness is not founded upon reality.  Of the several gays I know, they were "born that way."

#42    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 27 February 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Sorry I can't provide some sort of link, but way back in the 70's they had discovered that homosexuality has a genetic component. A certain combination of the X and Y chromosomes.  It's old news.

Thus your claim that it is some sort of mental illness is not founded upon reality.  Of the several gays I know, they were "born that way."

Genetics doesnt cause homosexuality because only 40% of people with the gene you refer too are homosexual.

Its one of the main contributing factors (I did point out genetics) but not the activator of homosexuality. The acitvation is in early childhood which is also consistant with homosexuals saying that they have been homosexual for as long as they can remember.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 27 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#43    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Homosexuality is a mental disorder in the same vein as many other things (such as being artistic, apparently) in that it does not fit the narrow definition of neuro-typical decided upon by the elite.

Our society is going a little crazy with its concept of neuro-typical and mental illness, though.

On an earlier note: watching men make-out (whether with each other or with a female partner) makes my skin crawl because men don't have particularly attractive facial features or jaws. But I'm not going to tell people what they can and cannot do. I'd just prefer it not be done in public.

Posted Image

#44    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,177 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 27 February 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

Genetics doesnt cause homosexuality because only 40% of people with the gene you refer too are homosexual.

Its one of the main contributing factors (I did point out genetics) but not the activator of homosexuality. The acitvation is in early childhood which is also consistant with homosexuals saying that they have been homosexual for as long as they can remember.

My point was that the gene even exists.  That is all that matters.  Homosexuality is normal in nature through many species.  Why should man NOT be homosexual?

So you can keep your moral judgments to yourself, if you don't mind.  I have my own.

Homosexuality is normal.  Some people have hangups about it, and I don't.  I don't care about percentage in society--how many of this or how many of that.  The genetic part shows how long time ago it became a part of the human condition?

I have many good friends who are gay, and best I can tell, they were born that way, to borrow from Lady Gaga

Edited by Babe Ruth, 27 February 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#45    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 27 February 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

My point was that the gene even exists.  That is all that matters.  Homosexuality is normal in nature through many species.  Why should man NOT be homosexual?

So you can keep your moral judgments to yourself, if you don't mind.  I have my own.

Homosexuality is normal.  Some people have hangups about it, and I don't.  I don't care about percentage in society--how many of this or how many of that.  The genetic part shows how long time ago it became a part of the human condition?

I have many good friends who are gay, and best I can tell, they were born that way, to borrow from Lady Gaga

I don't agree with the "gay gene" suggestion. How would a gay gene be passed on to off spring when it prevents, or at least reduces the chance of having, offspring?  It would be the evolutionary equivilant of a genetic mutation that makes your head explode and therefor would be an evolutionary "dead-end".

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 27 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users