Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Minds_Eye

How would you define a mid-life crisis? How is it different for men and women? Is there some rule in the Book of Life that the age at which it occurs is supposed to be in your 40s? What does it mean, and why does it happen at all?

Like everything else, some folks get it and some folks don't. think that generally it occurs if you have a hugely significant life change (generally divorce or death) during age 40-55.

The problem with a crisis like this is that it's so shattering that most people make unwise or unusual decisions about things in their lives after being hit with one -- like buying a wildly expensive car or something. But you are not obligated to have a crisis just because you hit your middle 40's.

• Like 1

Good point, but this sort of crisis can also happen when life doesn't change significantly enough. The age factor brings about the realization that death is closer at hand, and there's only so much time remaining to find that greater fulfillment or achieve something more with one's life. I suppose a mid-life crisis could be seen as a psychological transition phase (for better or worse), of sorts? I wonder how many people dwell about their state of happiness more frequently as they reach a certain age...

before I could determine whether or not I was experiencing a mid-life crisis I would need two reference points,like beginning and end.

jmccr8

I firmly believe that what pop-culture calls a "Mid-Life Crisis" is in reality an Existential Crisis brought about

by things like divorce and facing your own mortality. Which coincidentally happens a good bit with mid-aged

people.

An existential crisis is defined as:

"a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether their life has any meaning,

purpose or value. This issue of the meaning and purpose of existence is the topic of the philosophical school of existentialism."

Then there is the more recently coined term: "Quarter-Life Crisis" (like the one I'm currently fighting) which is just the

same thing for people in their mid-twenties.

Edited by Jack_of_Blades
  • Like 1

I didn't know there was such a thing as a quarter-life crisis. I thought people in their 20s would be too young to experience this sort of life phase... How are you managing to cope with it, Jack_of_Blades?

I think 'old age crisis' is far worse. The sudden realization that one is now *old* and there's squat that can be done about it far worse than facing middle age. Don't believe me? Just wait, you'll see.

• Like 4

I think 'old age crisis' is far worse. The sudden realization that one is now *old* and there's squat that can be done about it far worse than facing middle age. Don't believe me? Just wait, you'll see.

That's exactly what it is, 'middle-aged' was old when the phrase was coined, I don't think it is by today's standards though.

The shock usually arrives when the first numeral in your age becomes a '6'. I was completely taken aback at how I felt about it.

The shock usually arrives when the first numeral in your age becomes a '6'. I was completely taken aback at how I felt about it.

Hmmmm, I will confirm my findings in a good few years from now. ;)

Age isn't just a number, and the aging 'crisis' becomes more real the closer we get to that number. I think there is a different feeling through each decade of life whether we're aware of it at the time or not.

• Like 1

Ask your Mom, I have a feeling she'll agree with me. :yes:

I will have to wait until Dec 29th to ask her, she will then fit the required criterea...

Edit: BTW she loves a Rough Collie :)

Edited by Junior Chubb

i got especially weird in my late thirties... i think it was hormonal lol . I got sort of extra compulsive and obsessive for quite a few years, then i sort of calmed down again. Men's chemistry changes as they age too?

I will have to wait until Dec 29th to ask her, she will then fit the required criterea...

Edit: BTW she loves a Rough Collie :)

I think I'd get along with your Mom quite well.

I love all collie breeds. Right now I have an almost 5 month old Australian Shepherd. He's so full of energy I will either 'live long and prosper' or he's gonna kill me outright from sheer exhaustion!

• Like 1

I didn't know there was such a thing as a quarter-life crisis. I thought people in their 20s would be too young to experience this sort of life phase... How are you managing to cope with it, Jack_of_Blades?

It usually comes from a disillusionment of the society we've been passed down. And an over-bearing feeling that all your efforts are pointless and meaningless.

Actually having thoughtful and intense discussions on this site about life's mysteries helps. Along with keeping preoccupied in games or with friends and crazy impulse

buys (I have zero need for this suit of armor...). But it is a daily struggle.

I love all collie breeds. Right now I have an almost 5 month old Australian Shepherd. He's so full of energy I will either 'live long and prosper' or he's gonna kill me outright from sheer exhaustion!

Aww! They really are a handful. :blush: I had a blue merle aussie/border collie mix. Smartest, sweetest, and most well behaved dog I've ever owned, until my insane ex stole him and took off hiding. :cry:

It usually comes from a disillusionment of the society we've been passed down. And an over-bearing feeling that all your efforts are pointless and meaningless.

Actually having thoughtful and intense discussions on this site about life's mysteries helps. Along with keeping preoccupied in games or with friends and crazy impulse

buys (I have zero need for this suit of armor...). But it is a daily struggle.

I can somewhat relate to that sort of feeling at present, thanks for sharing it. And hang in there!

I think I'd get along with your Mom quite well.

I think you just might... :tu: