Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hubble Discovers 5th Moon Orbiting Pluto [merged]

pluto moons hubble

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Never mind Pluto! I'm not a planet either. :(

#17    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

pretty cool!

thanks for sharing OP.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#18    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 14 July 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Never mind Pluto! I'm not a planet either. :(
Unless I go on a diet soon I might be.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#19    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 14 July 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Unless I go on a diet soon I might be.

LOL, Could be useful? Feeling peckish? Just pluck a donut out of orbit!

#20    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

tat moon is small enough to be an asteroid

#21    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

Old Pluto and all it's little moons eh? The little dark-horse of the solar system. Good on it, lol.

#22    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,611 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

Since Pluto is no longer considered the 9th planet in our solar system because of it's size, Does that mean a Chihuahua is no longer a dog because it's smaller then a Great Dane or other dog breeds bigger then it? LOL

#23    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

View PostRyegrog, on 15 July 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

Since Pluto is no longer considered the 9th planet in our solar system because of it's size, Does that mean a Chihuahua is no longer a dog because it's smaller then a Great Dane or other dog breeds bigger then it? LOL

Pluto has not lost it's planetary status because of it's size. It lost it because it

has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit

All the true planets dominate their orbits. They have swept clear, or captured as satellites, almost all the material that shared their orbit. Pluto has not done this, it is just one Kuiper Belt Object amongst thousands. If it had cleared it's orbit it would still be a planet as it fulfills the other requirements. The IAU definitions of a planet and a dwarf planet are as follows:

(1) A planet is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (B) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and © has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

(2) A "dwarf planet" is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (B) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape [2], © has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d) is not a satellite.

(3) All other objects [3] orbiting the Sun shall be referred to collectively as "Small Solar System Bodies".

Source: Wikipedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#24    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 11 July 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Having moons is an extraordinarily poor reason for calling for the reinstatement of Pluto as a planet. Many asteroids have moons, Mercury and Venus do not.

Errr ... Phobos & Deimos?  While they may well be captured asteroids, they still are Mars' moons.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#25    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostKludge808, on 16 July 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

Errr ... Phobos & Deimos?  While they may well be captured asteroids, they still are Mars' moons.

And your point is?

I didn't mention Mars. Mercury & Venus still have no natural satellites. My point still remains valid.

Posted Image
Click on button

#26    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,611 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 16 July 2012 - 12:00 AM, said:

Pluto has not lost it's planetary status because of it's size. It lost it because it

All the true planets dominate their orbits. They have swept clear, or captured as satellites, almost all the material that shared their orbit. Pluto has not done this, it is just one Kuiper Belt Object amongst thousands. If it had cleared it's orbit it would still be a planet as it fulfills the other requirements. The IAU definitions of a planet and a dwarf planet are as follows:

Source: Wikipedia

http://universetoday...onger-a-planet/That is one factor why Pluto is no longer considered a traditional planet but size did play a roll.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#27    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostRyegrog, on 16 July 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

http://universetoday...onger-a-planet/That is one factor why Pluto is no longer considered a traditional planet but size did play a roll.
Wrong, Pluto is not classified a dwarf planet on size.

The small size of Pluto and the fact that objects as massive were being discovered lead to the debate about Pluto's status but in the agreed definitions of planet and dwarf planet Pluto's size was not a factor in it being downgraded.

From YOUR link:

Is Pluto a planet? Does it qualify? For an object to be a planet, it needs to meet these three requirements defined by the IAU:

• It needs to be in orbit around the Sun – Yes, so maybe Pluto is a planet.
  • It needs to have enough gravity to pull itself into a spherical shape – Pluto…check
  • It needs to have “cleared the neighborhood” of its orbit – Uh oh. Here’s the rule breaker. According to this, Pluto is not a planet.

As can be clearly seen, Pluto only fails to be defined on the third point. On the second point, which is size dependant, Pluto passes. To repeat what I said earlier, if Pluto orbited alone, instead of part of a belt consisting of many objects, it would pass all thre criteria and be a planet. The same is also true of the largest body in the asteroid belt, Ceres, which was redefined as a dwarf planet (instead of an asteroid) at the same time as Pluto.

Incidentally your link doesn't work, it should be: http://www.universet...onger-a-planet/

Posted Image
Click on button

#28    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 16 July 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

And your point is?

I didn't mention Mars. Mercury & Venus still have no natural satellites. My point still remains valid.

Errr ... ummm ... my point is I can't read?  Sorry.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

Also tagged with pluto, moons, hubble

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users