Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

"You didn't build that"

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#46    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostTiggs, on 24 July 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

If I believed that the word "that" referred to the business - as opposed to all the stuff he'd mentioned earlier such as the roads and the bridges - then sure.

Otherwise - not so much.

Apparently this needs to be repeated:

Posted Image

I guess it all depends on what the definition of is is....

#47    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 24 July 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

I guess it all depends on what the definition of is is....
I was thinking the exact same thing. Now we have to dispute that that doesn't mean that when it directly referred to that in the same short sentence. Like I said, lost in liberal land, a magic place where simple words don't mean what they mean and other points of view are dismissed and thrown out of the park.

Edited by Is it for real, 24 July 2012 - 11:48 PM.

Posted Image

#48    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

View PostIs it for real, on 24 July 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Now we have to dispute that that doesn't mean that when it directly referred to that in the same short sentence. Like I said, lost in liberal land, a magic place where simple words don't mean what they mean and other points of view are dismissed and thrown out of the park.

Because everyone thinks in terms of grammatical sentence structures when making public speeches.

It's entirely obvious from the rest of his speech in context what he's referring to.

Or as Obama directly says in his latest ad:

"Those ads taking my words about small business out of context - they're flat out wrong. Of course Americans build their own businesses. Every day, hard-working people sacrifice to meet a payroll, create jobs, and make our economy run. And what I said was that we need to stand behind them, as America always has."

View Posttapirmusic, on 24 July 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Apparently this needs to be repeated:

Posted Image

Because anything said within a Meme is automatically true™.

#49    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,715 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

“I believe with all my heart that it is the drive and the ingenuity of Americans who start businesses that lead to their success,” Mr. Obama told supporters at a rally in Oakland. “I always have and I always will. The ability for somebody who’s willing to work hard, put in their sweat and their sacrifice to turn their idea into a profitable business, that’s the nature of America. That’s what helped make our economy the envy of the world.”

The president is still trying to explain away comments he made on the stump on July 13 in Roanoke, Va., when he implied that entrepreneurs don’t deserve all the credit for their own success.
http://www.washingto...-build-comment/

I bet right now there is a Obama speech writer opening. And at least one more guy in DC is looking for work. Anything that was used to such good effect in the attack ads is priceless, and definately should have got whoever wrote that fired. WHAT? You think Obama writes all his own Stuff?

You can smell the smoking grease of the backpedaling all the way on the West Coast.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#50    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 25 July 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

http://www.washingto...-build-comment/

I bet right now there is a Obama speech writer opening. And at least one more guy in DC is looking for work. Anything that was used to such good effect in the attack ads is priceless, and definately should have got whoever wrote that fired. WHAT? You think Obama writes all his own Stuff?

I highly doubt any speech writer wrote that.

#51    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

View PostTiggs, on 25 July 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

That's what's so bad about it.

Posted Image

#52    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,715 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

View PostTiggs, on 25 July 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

Too Good? Or too Bad? What gives it away?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#53    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 25 July 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

Too Good? Or too Bad? What gives it away?

It's too vague and rambly to have been planned out in advance.

"Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

for example.

The double usage of "the Internet" and the non-specificity of "all the companies". Not to mention that that's not why the Government created the Internet (Distributed Communication System capable of surviving nuclear attack are it's actual origins).

I strongly doubt that any professional speech-writer would construct a sentence that clumsy and think it was good enough to include in a President's speech. I'd expect to see something more along the lines of:

"It was government research which gave us our shared digital infrastructure - the foundations of the Internet - which many companies are building on today as a vital part of their everyday businesses."

#54    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

This reminds me a lot of the Michelle Obama "for the first time, I'm proud of my country" quote and the whole Jeremiah Wright ordeal.  Excuses came out from every angle and of course poor misunderstood Obama just isn't given a chance.  I remember voicing an opinion contrary to the popular opinion that she really didn't mean it that way and got such evil stares from obvious Obama supporters but that's all the nerve they had to do was just stare...  
There was no taking that out of context, she said it word for word.  As far as the Wright deal, that was a recording from one visit that I heard of, who knows what kind of hate speech he's spewed over the span of all the years they had been going there...

#55    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostIs it for real, on 24 July 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

I don't have what I take for granted. That's and I'll conceived assumption the left has when someone doesn't praise the government for what they've done. Why should we? The government didn't pay for anything. We did. All the government does is manage the country. They don't own it.
I understand why success is possible and rampant in the USA. However, I don't credit the any government except the founding one for the greatness of our country. All succeeding governments from then on are just doing their jobs by asking sure certain things are available to the masses. Also, doing anything except what they're supposed to only impedes progress.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good."  --Thomas Sowell

Posted Image

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#56    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:04 AM

View PostTiggs, on 25 July 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

It's too vague and rambly to have been planned out in advance.

"Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

for example.

The double usage of "the Internet" and the non-specificity of "all the companies". Not to mention that that's not why the Government created the Internet (Distributed Communication System capable of surviving nuclear attack are it's actual origins).

I strongly doubt that any professional speech-writer would construct a sentence that clumsy and think it was good enough to include in a President's speech. I'd expect to see something more along the lines of:

"It was government research which gave us our shared digital infrastructure - the foundations of the Internet - which many companies are building on today as a vital part of their everyday businesses."

That's because the speech wasn't intended for you alone.  This speech reeked of propaganda.  It morphed quickly from attacking 'people who are successful' to GOV made everything possible.  A ten year old could understand it because it was intended to speak to all of America.

#57    Varelse

Varelse

Unanimous Animous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

• The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principles upon which it was founded. -Montesquieu

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

God is neither a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim or any other 'self ordained' entity.
We hold these truths to be self-evident.

#58    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

View Postacidhead, on 25 July 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

That's because the speech wasn't intended for you alone.  This speech reeked of propaganda.  It morphed quickly from attacking 'people who are successful' to GOV made everything possible.  A ten year old could understand it because it was intended to speak to all of America.

Political speeches have political agendas. I expect that's pretty much a given.

I don't believe that it's any sort of masterful grand conspiracy. It was a speech that would have generally gone unnoticed into the void, had Conservative commentators not picked up on the whole "you didn't build that" thing.

In my opinion, it's too clumsy in it's construction to have survived the sort of re-writes and vetting that a pre-planned political speech would generally receive.

#59    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,570 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostTiggs, on 25 July 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

Political speeches have political agendas. I expect that's pretty much a given.

I don't believe that it's any sort of masterful grand conspiracy. It was a speech that would have generally gone unnoticed into the void, had Conservative commentators not picked up on the whole "you didn't build that" thing.

In my opinion, it's too clumsy in it's construction to have survived the sort of re-writes and vetting that a pre-planned political speech would generally receive.

Yes they do.  And boy oh boy do the D's and R's have agendas.  One hand rubs the back of another.  It's all too obvious.  From the television media to the print and web media... the 2 party system propagandizes the participant. I've got my own head and opinion.  I don't need the GOV telling me what to do.

#60    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,431 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

I believe it was a puposeful speech not ad-libbed by the president.  The purpose was to gain voting influence among the occupy types.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users