Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA to spend $1.6 billion on space taxis

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,063 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

NASA is offering to fund a private company who can provide manned trips to and from the space station.

Discovery News said:

NASA hopes some U. S. companies will soon be giving the Russians a run for their money to fly astronauts to the International Space Station.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    sp840tril

sp840tril

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

More focus should be on space tourism, not just for getting an exclusive group of people to have all the fun...space belongs to us all, so why only phd astronauts get to go...until they find a way for the common man to go, space programs will continue to struggle...aviation was once reserved for only the wealthy and because of this it started to die, it wasn't until the common man was able to experience flight that aviation took off. The Concorde is a perfect example as to why things should never be exclusive.

#3    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

US logic suprises me every time... They have shitloads of money going in, but they cant make a simple spaceship or space vehicle design...WIth all the worlds technology i think NASA failed big time...My money goes to China at least they have something to show...
@ sp80 Space tourism will never flourish since they cant really manage their greedy plans...Give that money to Russians or Chinese or even better propose to make one single international space agency, like it should be..

#4    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,782 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

View PostNuke_em, on 25 September 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

US logic suprises me every time... They have shitloads of money going in, but they cant make a simple spaceship or space vehicle design...WIth all the worlds technology i think NASA failed big time...My money goes to China at least they have something to show...
@ sp80 Space tourism will never flourish since they cant really manage their greedy plans...Give that money to Russians or Chinese or even better propose to make one single international space agency, like it should be..

So I guess Whirrled Peas is outta the question too ? :w00t:
Attitudes like that only make things cloudy !

This is a Work in Progress!

#5    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

I just hope they have learn their lessions and no more screw ups like the Space Shuttle and standardize the building of these vehicles and by doing so bring down the cost of building and maintaining them and stop behaving like cut ups.

#6    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,814 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Space turism is not controlled by NASA, but private enterprice's...

#7    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,276 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 25 September 2011 - 09:08 PM, said:

So I guess Whirrled Peas is outta the question too ? :w00t:
Attitudes like that only make things cloudy !

Cloudy...Whole NASA history is "abit" cloudy. And if they cant do it, i think US will fall behind in space exploration. See i would ask them where is all the money is going now that shuttle is out of bussines. In my opinion they would have more money now that they dont need to maintain shuttles.. And i'll insist in making one world space agency...solo can have issues with money,ideas,atitude,..Everything.. But can you imagine that China and Russia would agree on my idea, can you imagine space program then :D!

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#8    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• 1,814 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

View PostNuke_em, on 28 September 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

Cloudy...Whole NASA history is "abit" cloudy. And if they cant do it, i think US will fall behind in space exploration. See i would ask them where is all the money is going now that shuttle is out of bussines. In my opinion they would have more money now that they dont need to maintain shuttles.. And i'll insist in making one world space agency...solo can have issues with money,ideas,atitude,..Everything.. But can you imagine that China and Russia would agree on my idea, can you imagine space program then :D!

I can already see the world space agency becoming a huge faraonic project, with thousand of workers, burocrats, administrators ect and divouring twice of NASA budget daily!

Nah IMO the best is many small indipendent non governamental dynamic space companies, with lots of competion. Rather than a huge slow dinosaur.

Edited by ~C.S.M~, 28 September 2011 - 10:48 PM.

Finally got my black belt....

#9    Evo

Evo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

At this rate, China's gonna win.
China, the new Russia!

#10    reggie2011

reggie2011

Ectoplasmic Residue