Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My Experience With the Hat Man

randed

Hello all,

I just wanted to share a story/set of stories with all of you regarding shadow people, and more specifically, the hat man.

When I was younger(6 or 7) my dad was gone a lot on business trips. I always had a lot of trouble sleeping as a kid, so I used to sleep next to my mom when my dad was gone. One night, I woke up and there standing over me was a silhouette of a person. The person was pitch black and looked like he/it had a top hat or bowler hat or something like that. I quickly closed my eyes and opened them again, and he vanished before my eyes. It looked like dust being blown away by the wind when he vanished, except that the dust was a pitch black shadow. That was like 20 years ago, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Just as a note, this was not a case of sleep paralysis, as I have those attacks quite often, and this was definitely not one.

The next sighting of the hat man that I had was much more recent (about 10 years ago). I was watching TV at like 1 in the morning. There was a window behind me that faced the tv screen. I eventually began to get a funny feeling so I thought I would go to my room to go to sleep. When I got up to turn the tv off (I had to push a button on the tv, the remote never worked), I felt a strange presence. I turned around and there on the sidewalk right outside my window was the hat man. He was standing under a light post, yet was not illuminated by the light. It was that same pitch black silhouette. I instantly panicked, quickly turned off the tv, and looked back out the window. He of course, was gone. This was about a second that he had to vanish.

The creepiest thing about these occurrences is that my dad would see the hat man at least once a week. He called it the apparition. He said it would always stand at his doorway. Pretty creepy. My dad hasn't seen the hat man for several years though so that's good.

I never thought that there was a "hat man" until I read a post somewhere where someone described exactly what I saw. I couldn't believe it.

Have you guys ever encountered a shadow person?

• Like 1

Actually some friends and I have had an experience with shadow people before. I know some other locals whom I have talked to and they have shared some interesting experiences as well. I will post more about this later but for now I must mow the lawn.

I would counter by saying you simply had a vivid dream as a child and saw someone standing on the sidewalk outside of your house (or perhaps you fell asleep watching TV and had another vivid dream). Same goes for your dad.

• Like 2

Hi, I saw the hat man in my bedroom last night, he was standing between my bed and where my babies cot is. I rolled over to check on him and he was sort of leering over my bed. He has no face, a black coat and a top hat. I've done a load of research and I think that it might be the hat man but any other suggestions would be brilliant as I'm a tad freaked out by this one. I'm used to strange paranormal experiences as I see things all the time but this one has really quite scared me :/

Hi, I saw the hat man in my bedroom last night, he was standing between my bed and where my babies cot is. I rolled over to check on him and he was sort of leering over my bed. He has no face, a black coat and a top hat. I've done a load of research and I think that it might be the hat man but any other suggestions would be brilliant as I'm a tad freaked out by this one. I'm used to strange paranormal experiences as I see things all the time but this one has really quite scared me :/

mhmmmm, I can't wait for school vacation to be over.