Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

The Ancient Alien Theory Is True

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10148 replies to this topic

#5671    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,127 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostCrikey, on 25 January 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

But ley lines EXIST and have been well mapped, surely you're not trying to deny that?

About the 'discoverer' :

Watkins never attributed any supernatural significance to leys; he believed that they were simply pathways that had been used for trade or ceremonial purposes, very ancient in origin, possibly dating back to the Neolithic, certainly pre-Roman. His obsession with leys was a natural outgrowth of his interest in landscape photography and love of the British countryside. He was an intensely rational person with an active intellect, and I think he would be a bit disappointed with some of the fringe aspects of ley lines today".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

#5672    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 25 January 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

About the 'discoverer' :

Watkins never attributed any supernatural significance to leys; he believed that they were simply pathways that had been used for trade or ceremonial purposes, very ancient in origin, possibly dating back to the Neolithic, certainly pre-Roman. His obsession with leys was a natural outgrowth of his interest in landscape photography and love of the British countryside. He was an intensely rational person with an active intellect, and I think he would be a bit disappointed with some of the fringe aspects of ley lines today".

At least Watkins had a legitimate theory for the lines he was talking about based on observed data of paths between 'landmarks'. Although it still doesn't lend significance to the lines themselves. The modern 'New Age' spin on ley lines is astoundingly absent of even one iota of supporting evidence.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#5673    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,894 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Id also like to add, they plotted the same/similar lines with telephone boxes!  :yes:

"Archaeologist Richard Atkinson once demonstrated this by taking the positions of telephone boxes and pointing out the existence of "telephone box leys". This, he thus argued, showed that the mere existence of such lines in a set of points does not prove that the lines are deliberate artefacts, especially since it is known that telephone boxes were not laid out in any such manner or with any such intention."

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5674    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Guys, guys, remember the aliens don't want us to know they're here, which is why they disguise their beacons and ley lines etc.
Some people may be afraid to entertain the possibility of alien existence, but there'll always be fearless investigators who say "The aliens may fool others, but they're not going to fool us!"...:)

#5675    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostCrikey, on 25 January 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Try not to think in physical atoms-and-molecules terms mate.. :)
For a start, who says UFO's come from across the cosmos? They might originate in another dimension just next door to us.
But because their senses are adapted to living in their own totally alien dimension, our dimension is like a coal-black cellar to them, so they have to drop nav beacons here (disguised as stones) in order to get around. Why disguise them?--because they don't want us to know they're snooping around on earth.

Okay, I'll concede that an extra-dimensional 'sensory obstacle' might be the case with extra-dimensional visitors. That still begs the question of how and where they knew to place the beacons to begin with. It seems that they could either find their way around well enough to place the beacons, or they couldn't.

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#5676    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostCrikey, on 25 January 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

"The aliens may fool others, but they're not going to fool us!"... :)

And when arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same. :P

#5677    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,894 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Guys, guys, remember the aliens don't want us to know they're here, which is why they disguise their beacons and ley lines etc.
Some people may be afraid to entertain the possibility of alien existence, but there'll always be fearless investigators who say "The aliens may fool others, but they're not going to fool us!"... :)

they done a bad job of keeping it a secret if man found and hid their 'secret/invisible beacons in a church then didn't they? But how would that stop the beacons working? Tin foil in the church roof?

Anyway how is this alleged story an ancient aliens category?  You can simply post a new thread in the forum you know - and there people can - if interested, respond to 'your very own thread'. You'd be better off too as most readers who haven't followed this thread wont be prepared to read just under 400 posts to get to yours.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5678    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,856 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 25 January 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

And when arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same. :P
"who is more foolish. the fool or the fool who follows him"
see, I can post mytisicm from bearded old men too!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#5679    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,448 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

This thread does seem to be drifting away from the 'ancient aliens' concept.

Can we try to keep things sensible and on-topic please.

#5680    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,127 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Some people may be afraid to entertain the possibility of alien existence, but there'll always be fearless investigators who say "The aliens may fool others, but they're not going to fool us!"... :)

Nobody is being fooled but those who believe in that stuff being anything else than for human navigation..

Before Watkins there were no "ley lines" connecting 'vortexes' and all that bogus :

Ley lines are alleged alignments of a number of places of geographical and historical interest, such as ancient monuments and megaliths, natural ridge-tops and water-fords. The phrase was coined in 1921 by the amateur archaeologist Alfred Watkins, in his books Early British Trackways and The Old Straight Track. He sought to identify ancient trackways in the British landscape. Watkins later developed theories that these alignments were created for ease of overland trekking by line-of-sight navigation during neolithic times, and had persisted in the landscape over millennia.

It was John Michell who gave it the spiritual twist we are now still stuck with.

Why would 'aliens' need such a primitive way of navigating anyway?

Edited by Abramelin, 25 January 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#5681    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,856 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

now, sacred groves and standing stones were where the veil between our world and the wolrd of the sidhe was thin. Nowadays, there are often crop circles there, and churches.
Oddly enough, both of the later are because of a belief in the former. Because the pagans thought it was important, the Chritians plopped a church on top of it to botj destroy the ol magic, but to also appropiate the importane of the place. and people put crop circles where there were or are henges and barrows because they want to be alll new age-y and connected to ancient myateries.

but the legends percist of a weakness between orlds. But no aliens, nothing we'd think of as beings from other worlds, just the fair folj up to their mysterious ways. And far more chatty and bound by earthly rules then aliens they were - running water could bind them, cod iron slay them. something oddly missing these days in alens is a fear of dogs blood and the like. IMO there is too little similarity between the sidhe of ancient myth and visiting aliens of modern myth.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#5682    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 25 January 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Okay, I'll concede that an extra-dimensional 'sensory obstacle' might be the case with extra-dimensional visitors. That still begs the question of how and where they knew to place the beacons to begin with. It seems that they could either find their way around well enough to place the beacons, or they couldn't.

In WW2, British Bomber Command had a number of specially-trained "Pathfinder squadrons" equipped with the latest navigation aids and radar, whose job was to go in ahead of the main bomber force to locate the target and mark it with flares so that the main force could home straight in to the target.
Same with our alien friends, small "pathfinder craft" may have beaconed the earth so that the main mothership force can come straight in without having to hunt for earth themselves.

(Of course, I'm not saying the aliens intend bombing us, as they seem to be in exploration mode at the moment, abducting humans (and cattle) to extract DNA samples and so on)

#5683    Crikey

Crikey

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 25 January 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

.......people put crop circles where there were or are henges and barrows because they want to be alll new age-y and connected to ancient myateries.......

Undoubtedly most circles are fake.
Incidentally here's a post I did about crop circles in another thread-

YE ELVES OF HILLS

A theory of mine is that crop circles are "footprints" made by "earth elementals" at the points where they emerge from the ground and then re-absorb back into it, causing some kind of "vortex" which flattens the crops.
The witches in Macbeth seemed to be able to "bubble up" from the earth and then absorb back into it too, but apparently without leaving a circle-
(Witches vanish)-
Banquo: "The earth hath bubbles as the water has, and these are of them, whither are they vanish'd?" (Act 1, sc 3)

Another possible Shakespeare reference to crop circles might be found in this line from The Tempest (Act V, sc 1) where the sorcerer Prospero addresses assorted "earth entities"-
"Ye elves of hills, brooks, standing lakes and groves, and ye that on the sands with printless foot
do chase the ebbing Neptune and do fly him when he comes back;
you demi-puppets that by moonshine do the green sour ringlets make, whereof the ewe not bites..."

What are "demi-puppets", some kind of robots?
Are the "green sour ringlets" crop circles.?
Are they made "sour" by residual radiation?

Edited by Crikey, 25 January 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#5684    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

They knew too much about flying saucers!

• 27,149 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 25 January 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

now, sacred groves and standing stones were where the veil between our world and the wolrd of the sidhe was thin. Nowadays, there are often crop circles there, and churches.
Oddly enough, both of the later are because of a belief in the former. Because the pagans thought it was important, the Chritians plopped a church on top of it to botj destroy the ol magic, but to also appropiate the importane of the place. and people put crop circles where there were or are henges and barrows because they want to be alll new age-y and connected to ancient myateries.

but the legends percist of a weakness between orlds. But no aliens, nothing we'd think of as beings from other worlds, just the fair folj up to their mysterious ways. And far more chatty and bound by earthly rules then aliens they were - running water could bind them, cod iron slay them. something oddly missing these days in alens is a fear of dogs blood and the like. IMO there is too little similarity between the sidhe of ancient myth and visiting aliens of modern myth.
Ah, this prompts another favourite theory of mine, what if what people in the olden tymes called Fairies (or Goblins, Bogles or the Little Folk) and what we call, more recently, ETs, are perhaps part of the same phenomenomenon; it just depends on the cultural background of the people who saw them; in olden times, people perhaps had folk memories of nature spirits and so on, and so would think of some small, humanoid being as one of them, and in more modern, technological times, (Particulalry in the 1950s when Space travel and sci fi was all the rage), people tended to think of them as Spacemen. More recently, perhaps the cultural perception of them has moved to thinking of them as the 'Greys'; perhaps less altruistic than ETs of the 1950s but more in keeping with the image of the Little Folk.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#5685    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,385 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostCrikey, on 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Undoubtedly most circles are fake.
Incidentally here's a post I did about crop circles in another thread-

YE ELVES OF HILLS

A theory of mine is that crop circles are "footprints" made by "earth elementals" at the points where they emerge from the ground and then re-absorb back into it, causing some kind of "vortex" which flattens the crops.
The witches in Macbeth seemed to be able to "bubble up" from the earth and then absorb back into it too, but apparently without leaving a circle-
(Witches vanish)-
Banquo: "The earth hath bubbles as the water has, and these are of them, whither are they vanish'd?" (Act 1, sc 3)

Another possible Shakespeare reference to crop circles might be found in this line from The Tempest (Act V, sc 1) where the sorcerer Prospero addresses assorted "earth entities"-
"Ye elves of hills, brooks, standing lakes and groves, and ye that on the sands with printless foot
do chase the ebbing Neptune and do fly him when he comes back;
you demi-puppets that by moonshine do the green sour ringlets make, whereof the ewe not bites..."

What are "demi-puppets", some kind of robots?
Are the "green sour ringlets" crop circles.?
Are they made "sour" by residual radiation?

You like Shakespeare crikey? here's one for you:

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose. An evil soul producing holy witness Is like a villain with a smiling cheek.
[1596 Shakespeare Merchant of Venice i. iii. 93]

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.