Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Cthulu Real ?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Grr! Rah! Buu make you dead! What Buu say, Buu do

• 2,433 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostXetan, on 15 October 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

I know how long Cthulu's lifespan is:

'Til the end of the book!
LMAO

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#32    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 14,716 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

I tend to agree there is no Cthulu/Godzilla sized monsters living in the deep oceans. I suppose it is possible.

A blue whale is about 100 feet long and 200 tons and is said to be the largest animal ever know to have existed.

The largest dinosaurs are suspected to have topped out at 75 tons.

Cthulu is supposed to be over/around 50 feet tall, and is much wider then a whale, so probably weighs in close to 60-80 tons.

Godzilla for comparison is 300 feet tall and 60,000 tons.

So a Cthulhu sized monster is much more likely then a Godzilla sized one.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#33    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 16 October 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Depends which era the Godzilla is from. He changes sizes depending on the continuity.

Posted Image

#34    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 14,716 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:01 AM

View PostXetan, on 16 October 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

Depends which era the Godzilla is from. He changes sizes depending on the continuity.
True enough!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#35    Insanity

Insanity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 16 October 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Cthulu is supposed to be over/around 50 feet tall, and is much wider then a whale, so probably weighs in close to 60-80 tons.

So a Cthulhu sized monster is much more likely then a Godzilla sized one.

While not to support the belief that Cthulhu or Godzilla exists, I believe the only description of Cthulhu's size is the phrase "a mountain walked or stumbled", which would suggest he is well behind 50 feet tall, and could very well be larger then Godzilla.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#36    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

I would make the argument that both Cthulu and Godzilla have entered the realms of modern folklore or mythology, and so have variable sizes to be determined by each unique interpreter.

Posted Image

#37    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 14,716 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

View PostInsanity, on 16 October 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

While not to support the belief that Cthulhu or Godzilla exists, I believe the only description of Cthulhu's size is the phrase "a mountain walked or stumbled", which would suggest he is well behind 50 feet tall, and could very well be larger then Godzilla.
True enough again. But, I believe the various RPG games out there have made various statistics for these guys and some of them have been approved by the estate of Lovecraft, so actual sizes that are approved do exist. I just have not been able to find them online today. One common size that is around the internet, but appears to be unsupported is 50 feet. So I went with that.

I originally had thought Cthulhu much larger also, on a size with Godzilla, which is why I used that for comparison. And then after not finding anything concrete I had to edit to put in 50 feet tall.

In the story, Cthulhu is only temporarily defeated by running the ships propellers into his head, which would suggest that he was HUGE.

#38    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

If we discover a giant creature in the ocean can we call it Cthulhu whatever? Please Please Please?

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#39    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

Well, what kind of gargantuan beasts could logically live under the water? Could whales attain that size? Would something that large have to have less stable molecular density (like a jellyfish or squid?)

Posted Image

#40    Insanity

Insanity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 16 October 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

True enough again. But, I believe the various RPG games out there have made various statistics for these guys and some of them have been approved by the estate of Lovecraft, so actual sizes that are approved do exist. I just have not been able to find them online today. One common size that is around the internet, but appears to be unsupported is 50 feet. So I went with that.

I originally had thought Cthulhu much larger also, on a size with Godzilla, which is why I used that for comparison. And then after not finding anything concrete I had to edit to put in 50 feet tall.

In the story, Cthulhu is only temporarily defeated by running the ships propellers into his head, which would suggest that he was HUGE.

If we are referencing RPGs, which is fine, then I suggest Chaosium in which Cthulhu is given a size of 210, which puts him somewhere around 970 tons in weight, but no height specified.  Then again, his form is not fixed and he modify it as he chooses.  As a cosmic supernatural entity, he has form, but is not made of matter as we know it.

Again, not supporting the existence of either of them.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#41    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

• I need to go fishing....Really, Really, REALLY BADLY.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

I was under the impression that cathulu ( not sure how it is spelled) was a fictional being out of a Dungeons and Dragons like game. I had never even heard of it until i started playing 3.0 Dungeons and Dragons.  so when i saw the topic i laughed until i hurt, but come to think of it I have never seen any stats for it......Hummmmmmm guess i need to do some research.

#42    Insanity

Insanity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

View Postmysticwerewolf, on 16 October 2012 - 03:37 AM, said:

I was under the impression that cathulu ( not sure how it is spelled) was a fictional being out of a Dungeons and Dragons like game. I had never even heard of it until i started playing 3.0 Dungeons and Dragons.  so when i saw the topic i laughed until i hurt, but come to think of it I have never seen any stats for it......Hummmmmmm guess i need to do some research.

There are several ways to spell it, and pronounce it, none are correct or incorrect.  Cthulhu's origins are in the literary works of H.P. Lovecraft, specifically The Call of Cthulhu, published in 1928.  He is a fictional cosmic extraterrestrial entity, and has been included in a number of RPG games, notably Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu.  Lovecraft's works became known as the Cthulhu Mythos and includes many other entities and horrors, of which Cthulhu is among the most powerful.

#43    jackball74

jackball74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 12 October 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

Posted Image Posted Image I believe it looks quite similar to the eye of a swordfish
Good call - the experts agree that's where it probably came from.  A swordfish...that may have possibly been killed by CTHULHU

#44    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Grr! Rah! Buu make you dead! What Buu say, Buu do

• 2,433 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

View PostInsanity, on 16 October 2012 - 03:49 AM, said:

There are several ways to spell it, and pronounce it, none are correct or incorrect.  Cthulhu's origins are in the literary works of H.P. Lovecraft, specifically The Call of Cthulhu, published in 1928.  He is a fictional cosmic extraterrestrial entity, and has been included in a number of RPG games, notably Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu.  Lovecraft's works became known as the Cthulhu Mythos and includes many other entities and horrors, of which Cthulhu is among the most powerful.
Iv never heard of the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game. I learn something new everytime I get on here :tu: :tu:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#45    Insanity

Insanity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 16 October 2012 - 09:08 PM, said:

Iv never heard of the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game. I learn something new everytime I get on here :tu: :tu:

It is probably the best RPG with regards to a good Lovecraftian feel.  Fair amount of rules regarding Sanity checks and temporary or permanent insanities.
There is a thread on RPGs if we wish to discuss it there.

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=235075

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users