Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Crop circles are not the work of hoaxers

greg jefferys crop circles

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#46    Astral Hillbilly

Astral Hillbilly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 170 posts

• Pain is inevitable....Suffering is optional !

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Abremelin, they didn't have night vision goggles in the 40's or 50's did they ? How do you explain that away ?

#47    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I say we chalk it up to an conspiracy, that always seems to explain everything. :D

#48    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostMrSerendipity, on 29 January 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

I have watched documentaries in the past in which it was stated that the genetic structure of the flattened wheat was changed and that the stalks weren't snapped just bent. Hoaxers with wooden boards and ropes don't account for this at all.
References for this change of genetic structure?  The blown nodes claims by BLT was questioned in the 1990s when the same effects were evident in natural and man-made circles, and indeed in natural lodged crop.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#49    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,771 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostAstral Hillbilly, on 29 January 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Abremelin, they didn't have night vision goggles in the 40's or 50's did they ? How do you explain that away ?

Ever heard of a full moon?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#50    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostRafterman, on 29 January 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

Ever heard of a full moon?
My mate gives you a full moon every time he's thrown out the pub.

#51    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

I agree that the majority of circles must have been made by hoaxers. But who were the first hoaxers imitating?

Also the first recorded crop circle in england was 1678. If this was a hoax, what purpose did it serve?
Posted Image

#52    laver

laver

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 29 January 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

I agree that the majority of circles must have been made by hoaxers. But who were the first hoaxers imitating?

Also the first recorded crop circle in england was 1678. If this was a hoax, what purpose did it serve?
Posted Image

In those far off times the inexplicable was the work of the 'devil', after all the church and the bible had all the answers? In Britain today most people do not accept that idea.

#53    NemoMysterio

NemoMysterio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

• And that's the bottom line...

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostMerc14, on 29 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

How about the local physics club having a bit of fun on a Saturday night?  Does that make it more plausible for you?

What if it is not a Saturday night? ;)

#54    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

IŽd put my money on about 90% being man-made. The rest due to some natural phenomena, but certainly not ETs playing around in wheat fields.... that ideao is just too idiotic.

#55    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,341 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

So, extraterrestrial's thinking and behavior has to be exactly like ours? Does that seem likely? I can imagine a number of reasons why crop circles could be their preferred method of communication with us. It could be a subtle and non-threatening way of  introducing themselves to us. Maybe they know something from past experience with contacting naive planets like ours. They may have learned that the direct approach; swooping in with an intimidating show of vastly superior technology, is about the worst thing they could do. Human history is full of examples of how destructive contact between a technically advanced civilization and a relatively primitive one can be, for the latter.

#56    Elysiumfire

Elysiumfire

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Truth cannot be moulded by opinion, but moulds the recipient of it.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Unfortunately, the article was written in a 'tongue-in-cheek' manner, and didn't allow for any form of professional investigation to shine through, probably because there was no investigation undertaken, just a bit of reportage to fill some rag space. Then again, the subject of crop circles lends itself quite well to ridicule and just like any other subject of 'mystery', sceptics of all types ensure the waters remain muddy and disturbed, rather than allow things to settle and become clear. Sceptics have their own stances and beliefs to maintain, and defend them vigorously from positions of self-appointed heights of 'knowing'.

I too, am a sceptic of most claims for mysteries, but I am also a realist, and I am quite aware that science, at its current level, cannot answer some of the most funadmental questions about ourselves or about our world. On the subject of crop circles, for many sceptics the mystery as been revealed as nothing more than human pranksters or nocturnal artists, yet Doug and Dave never made an intricate design, certainly not on a scale of that of many formations that have appeared over the years. Their names are used simply to muddy the waters, to create doubt, other circle designers have claimed ownership and ran the gauntlet of prosecution for their artistry, but even so, they cannot lay claim to all the circles that have appeared.

My own personal opinion is that they are all man-made, having gone from simplistic circles to very complex and very large designs, like a carefully crafted (no pun intended) cottage industry to bring in the tourists, with the techniques used to make the circles becoming more elaborate than the use of boards and ropes. Certain circles would have needed quite serious research before they were made, and for the size and scale, and the fact that they are made in the hours of near darkness in summer, GPS would also be used. Here in England we are pretty good at our gardening, and I would not be surprised if a number of agricultural students through the years had played a part in creating them. Then again, there is that old 'chestnut' question...what's more likely? Alien visitors doing their own bit of gardening or human artistry upon our landscape? The question has never been fully answered, but one chooses a side following one's own predilection and mindset.

I have no problem in people believing in subjects that I personally find absurd, just as long as they are not in positions where they making decisions that affect other people's lives. it is one reason why state and religion must always remain separate, so that absurdity doesn't become common place politic.

#57    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,493 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

I reckon I'd ''shoot to kill' any 'aliens' who tried to fancy-up a field I'd been nursing all year.   (only saying)

#58    _Only

_Only

• 6,633 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

View PostEldorado, on 30 January 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:

I reckon I'd ''shoot to kill' any 'aliens' who tried to fancy-up a field I'd been nursing all year.   (only saying)

I imagine if donteatus posted this, and felt right at home.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#59    IamLegend

IamLegend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• "The mind of a child is where the revolution begins" - Immortal Technique

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

It's been proven that crop circles can be completed swiftly and efficiently. At least using some fairly modern technology. However, I think it's in the realm of possibility that one day it's discovered that non-complex crop circles have something to do with Earth's magnetic energy, or some other natural phenomenon. By simple crop circles I mean literally just circles.

#60    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostAstral Hillbilly, on 29 January 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Have you watched those black and white photos? From the 4 I posted the links of only one looks kind of elaborate, whlle the others are mere circles. I don't even think they are crop circles. And like Rafterman said, if they are, they could have been made during a full moon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users