Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Dead Mice Are Going To Be Dropped On Guam

guam dead mice brown tree snakes painkillers helicopters

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,503 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Here's the latest plan scientists have come up with to kill some of the estimated 2 million brown tree snakes that have wiped out many other animals on Guam:

In April or May they're going to lace dead mice with painkillers, attach them to little parachutes, drop them from helicopters and hope that they get snagged in the jungle foliage. Then, if all goes well, the snakes — which as their name implies hang out in trees — will eat the mice and die from ingesting the painkillers' active ingredients.

http://www.npr.org/b...icopters-really

Posted Image

#2    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,434 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

This is either comical, absurd or weird.

Posted Image

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#3    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,982 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Once again, humans bring in animals that were not naturally there. 9 out of 12 birds now extinct, pigs and deer ( non-native ) are destroying the ground.....

We are a cancer.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostSakari, on 23 February 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Once again, humans bring in animals that were not naturally there. 9 out of 12 birds now extinct, pigs and deer ( non-native ) are destroying the ground.....

We are a cancer.
Or just another animal species that moves around a lot, but nah, that doesn't paint us in the worst possibly light.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,982 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Or just another animal species that moves around a lot, but nah, that doesn't paint us in the worst possibly light.

Read the article.....Pigs and Deer did not hitch rides.

Edited by Sakari, 23 February 2013 - 10:24 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#6    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,551 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

It's not like the snakes were introduced on purpose. I'm surprised, with all of the air and ship traffic, Hawaii or Ireland hasn't had the same problem. That was one of the reasons I loved wandering through the woods in Hawaii though. I didn't have to worry about snakes like I do at home.

#7    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostSakari, on 23 February 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

Read the article.....
Accidentally introduce a snake species that's killed off a lot of birds and now we're trying to fix it?! Does humanities hubris know no boundaries?! D:< -this is sarcastic anger-

Posted Image

~MEH~

#8    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

View PostSakari, on 23 February 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

Read the article.....Pigs and Deer did not hitch rides.
True, pigs and deer did not. Animals species go extinct when shizz like this happens all the time, when continental movement pushes continents together, should we keep all the animals separate? Or is it just the simple fact this is cause by 'MAN' that it's wrong? We're as natural as any of the other animal species, even if we don't seem like it.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#9    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,434 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 February 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

should we keep all the animals separate?

;)

Many countries have pretty strict animal control at their borders,  Australia and New Zealand is very restrictive IIRC.
IIt's quite amazing that we haven't had more serious issues than we already have in the world with animals and insect, like the Killer Bees incident.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#10    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,551 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

True, pigs and deer did not. Animals species go extinct when shizz like this happens all the time, when continental movement pushes continents together, should we keep all the animals separate? Or is it just the simple fact this is cause by 'MAN' that it's wrong? We're as natural as any of the other animal species, even if we don't seem like it.

Heaven forbid, when people have moved from one continent or island to another, over thousands of years, they bring their preferred food or pets. For the most part, who knows what belongs here or there over the years.

#11    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostMichelle, on 23 February 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Heaven forbid, when people have moved from one continent or island to another, over thousands of years, they bring their preferred food or pets. For the most part, who knows what belongs here or there over the years.
I know one thing though:
ALL HUMANS. BACK TO AFRICA. NAO.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#12    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 February 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

I know one thing though:
I aint going back to Africa, you crazy >.>

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,551 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostHasina, on 23 February 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

I know one thing though:

That's right...according to some we should never have left. ;)

#14    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,982 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

It is the simple fact of when " Man " get stupid.....

Look at Florida, the Python mess....

Lake Tahoe, goldfish....

Bighead and Silver Carp in the midwest to south....

Feral Pigs across the US, including Hawaii....

Invasive Animal Species

At least 25 non-native species of fish have entered the Great Lakes since the 1800s, including round goby, sea lamprey, Eurasian ruffe, alewife and others. These fish have had significant impacts on the Great Lakes food web by competing with native fish for food and habitat. Invasive animals have also been responsible for increased degradation of coastal wetlands; further degrading conditions are resulting in loss of plant cover and diversity.

Posted Image
Zebra Mussels

Non-native mussels and mollusks have also caused turmoil in the food chain. In 1988, zebra mussels were inadvertently introduced to Lake St. Clair, and quickly spread throughout the Great Lakes and into many inland lakes, rivers, and canals. Since then, they have caused severe problems at power plants and municipal water supplies, clogging intake screens, pipes, and cooling systems. They have also nearly eliminated the native clam population in the ecosystem.

Goarse, introduced on the Oregon coast from a man that thought the Swedish plant was pretty is a huge issue..

I could go on and on, it is pure stupidity, and it will destroy the natural wildlife, and the eco-system.

Read up on it, see for yourself.

We are not as " natural " as everything else. We are educated ( some ) and know the cause and effects of this issue, yet, some people do not care and ignore the facts.......If we were " natural " as other things, we would know better " naturally " .

Edited by Sakari, 23 February 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#15    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,551 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

View PostSakari, on 23 February 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

It is the simple fact of when " Man " get stupid.....

Look at Florida, the Python mess....

Lake Tahoe, goldfish....

Bighead and Silver Carp in the midwest to south....

I could go on and on, it is pure stupidity, and it will destroy the natural wildlife, and the eco-system.

Well, let's just kill all of the men, women and children with a plague and be done with it. That'll fix everything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users