Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Book of James

Link of Hyrule

Should James be taken out of the canon? Read my post first  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should James be taken out of the canon? Read my post first

• Yes, it goes against scripture.
    • No, it is perfectly true.
    • I don't know.
    • I don't care

In light of Ashley's poll on Enoch, I thought I'd start one of my own.

Martin Luther - one of the foremost minds in bringing Protestentism to where it is today (although he remained a staunch Catholic supporter), campaigned against the inclusion of the book of James in the Canon. His reasoning is simple: James advocated something similar to a works based doctrine, whereas jesus taught a doctrine of Grace by faith.

Most Christians reconcile this by claiming James simply emphasized that faith without deeds is dead "Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do" (James 2:18).

So the question is simple: Do we take Martin Luther's stance and deny James as a biblical text, or the current stance and believe it to be the word of God!

I'd be interested to find out what you guys think.

All the best,

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashley-Star*Child

• Link of Hyrule

• Lamont Cranston

• Sherapy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the 16% of humanity that is Christian, who really cares? Mythology is mythology. About like asking if we want to remove or keep the story of Hercules cleaning those stables. original.gif

Edited by Lamont Cranston

I think why not?? There hasn't been one new idea about God put into the bible well since never, I think it is time we come up with some new ideas about God. How could all that needs to be said about God have already been said I never understood that. We should care more especially about our cultural story about God what could be more important than that??????

On the opinion of one man? Hell no. I don't care who that man/women may be, excluding books because of opinion is 1. againts the rules laid out by God (all texts were meant to be complete, unchanged, and have nothing removed. Originally it was also in ONE WORD, hence the term 'The Word' as it had no space, verses, paragraphs, nothing. I was literally, ONE WORD, and one mispelt letter would make it corrupt). If Luke wrote it, it should be there, who is anyone to judge what should and should not be there by accounts of people who KNEW or had direct contact with Jesus/God, based soley on opinion.