Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Elephant personalities revealed by scientists

elephants personalities

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,489 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

With their grey skin, mournful eyes and slow plodding gait, you could be forgiven for thinking elephants are uniformly melancholy creatures.

But scientists have now discovered the largest living land animals have personalities to match their size.

In a new study of African elephants, researchers have identified four distinct characters that are prevalent with a herd – the leaders, the gentle giants, the playful rogues and the reliable plodders.

http://www.telegraph...scientists.html

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,576 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

I notice 'the giant psycho' is missing from the groupings.  Hm.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,644 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

They usually don't turn into giant psychos until they have been around us for a while.

#4    TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have always wanted to meet some elephants, I have seen them of course at zoos and the circus. But I would like to visit them in their natural habitat. I think they are magnificent. i actually hate seeing them in circuses and zoos, makes me sad.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,644 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

I rode an elephant one time at the Little Rock Zoo.  It only cost a buck and I thought this would probably be my only chance.  It was fun, your so high up and they are so big.

#6    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,549 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

I love it when the all-knowing Scientists discover things like animals have personalities....

Posted Image

#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,576 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostHilander, on 28 October 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

They usually don't turn into giant psychos until they have been around us for a while.

There have been elephant serial-killers in the past!  The Torso-in-the-Trunk Killer and Babar the Butcher to name just two.  :)

Edited by Eldorado, 28 October 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#8    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

and we've all met this type..        Attached File   get used to it.jpg   24K   0 downloads

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#9    your_dark_passenger

your_dark_passenger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostTrueBeliever, on 28 October 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

I have always wanted to meet some elephants, I have seen them of course at zoos and the circus. But I would like to visit them in their natural habitat. I think they are magnificent. i actually hate seeing them in circuses and zoos, makes me sad.

Here are 2 photos that I clicked of a tusker in the wild.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Pic1.jpg   108.88K   12 downloads
  • Attached File  pic2.jpg   18.37K   12 downloads

Edited by your_dark_passenger, 29 October 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#10    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

I love elephants, I've stroked one and it felt amazing!

Plus they make my bum look small :P

#11    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostEldorado, on 28 October 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

I notice 'the giant psycho' is missing from the groupings.  Hm.

I was at an Elephant camp in Chang Mai, Thailand and got to ride one of the beasts. They are immensely powerful and can easily drag a huge log, cross a swift river, etc. A friend was at the camp at another time and noticed one elephant off on its own chained by one leg to a tree, it was stretching to try and get to the pile of bananas that they give the elephants as treats. Feeling sorry for the pachyderm, my friend went over and started feeding bananas out of hand, one after another. Just then one of the mahouts came running up yelling, "Get away from that elephant, it has killed four people!!" So perhaps they do have the occasional giant psycho elephant.

#12    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

View PostSundew, on 01 November 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

I was at an Elephant camp in Chang Mai, Thailand and got to ride one of the beasts. They are immensely powerful and can easily drag a huge log, cross a swift river, etc. A friend was at the camp at another time and noticed one elephant off on its own chained by one leg to a tree, it was stretching to try and get to the pile of bananas that they give the elephants as treats. Feeling sorry for the pachyderm, my friend went over and started feeding bananas out of hand, one after another. Just then one of the mahouts came running up yelling, "Get away from that elephant, it has killed four people!!" So perhaps they do have the occasional giant psycho elephant.
Elephants have just as good memories as humans.  Perharps, this elephant was aggresive towards humans as it has been hurt before?  They are such amazing animals and there is nothing cuter than a baby elephant!  It's amazing how much human nature is part of these huge beasts.  The way they would stay with one of their dead for more that a week before moving on - with actual tears from their eyes.  I just love them.

:tsu:

Also tagged with elephants, personalities

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users