Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Increase In Population

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

The world's population seems to be naturally leveling off as infant mortality rates drop.  This seems odd but apparently is because people who feel confident that they will have at least one child reach adulthood tend to not want so many children, and "insurance" babies are not conceived.

In fact, it seems likely that the population problem of the latter half of this century will be declining human population.

#17    William Walker

William Walker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

My view is with enough investment in new areas and technology we could have a population double what we have now. Global Warming will free up huge areas in northern Russian and Canada to grow food. The problem is mass populations like China and India can't sustain themselves and now have to export people to other parts of the world.

#18    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostTutankhaten-pasheri, on 28 April 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

In the future one colour will predominate, green, soylent green. bon appetit :)

as long as there is H.57 and mustard I won't worry about it.

#19    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

Actually the real export of people is Latin America into the States and the Middle East and Eastern Europe into Western Europe.  This is economic rather than demographic and is self-correcting if barriers are kept low or eliminated.

Population growth has slowed almost everywhere and it now appears will begin to decline by the middle of the century.  In the States population would be declining already except for immigration and some residue effects of the baby boom.  Once it does begin to decline (assuming the States remains restrictive on immigration and improves its enforcement, as seems likely), the States will enter a period of stagnation such as seen in Japan this last decade (and for the same reason -- Japan is aging and its population is diminishing and it won't allow immigration).

#20    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Caucasians are actually predicted to become extinct in the next few 1000, or maybe even few 100 years. White families are having less kids and Asians are going nuts.

But population has already grown far to high really.  Eventually it will either level out by itself, or there will be some massive disaster that wipes a lot of us out, either way things will be brought back in to balance. The problem is governments don't want to discuss overpopulation, because their economies (and own agendas) rely on constant growth.

Edited by Finity, 16 May 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#21    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

They need to address overpopulation and get tough on illegal immigration.  What if someone with some highly contagious disease or a terrorist sneaks into your country.  Which I guess the highly contagious disease would end overpopulation.

#22    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

I have heard that our Earth is only "ready" for 2 milliards of people.

My idea is a lower number of people, no high skyscrapers but a large number of low houses, whereas every family would have one, at least. And a premise around it. We need space and nature.

#23    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,649 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 19 May 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

My idea is a lower number of people, no high skyscrapers but a large number of low houses, whereas every family would have one, at least. And a premise around it. We need space and nature.
A mental hospital will be of more benefit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users