Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Devil's face revealed in Giotto fresco

Still Waters

A devil's face hidden for centuries has been revealed in a fresco by the Italian renaissance master Giotto.

An Italian art historian, Chiara Frugoni, spotted the devil's profile in the fresco's clouds, high up in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi.

The face, with hooked nose and an evil smirk, is hard to see from the ground.

The fresco, featuring the death of St Francis, dates from the 13th Century. Giotto di Bondone is seen as one of the finest Early Renaissance artists.

Ms Frugoni said it was previously thought the first artist to conceal a portrait in clouds was Andrea Mantegna, in the 15th Century.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• Still Waters

• rashore

• d e v i c e

Well, it's a face... Not really convinced it's a devils face though.

Any image of a dude with long hair (occasionally beard) is automatically Jesus, so any partial image of a man with a hooked nose has to be the devil. Don't you know this rashore? ^_^

Any image of a dude with long hair (occasionally beard) is automatically Jesus, so any partial image of a man with a hooked nose has to be the devil. Don't you know this rashore? ^_^

snort, nope, didn't know that :)

Personally I thought the face was more of a naughty grin than an evil smirk... Perhaps because it's looking at just the right spot on that angels skirt?

Things that happen when you don't pay artist enough money. :devil:

Can't possibly be the Devil's face... it looks nothing like my ex-wife!:devil:

Why a devils face? can't see that. Looks more like it is Giottos face to me.

Zam

I think you're right. It just might be Giottos face. Good call.

Everybody knows that the face belongs to Satan himself. Come on, folks. Get with the times!

Yet another example of the devil being in the detail.

Just a face in profile with a slight tilt that can be mistaken as either a sneer or a benign smile - clever but not particularly special and not a devil.

It is interesting that like Jesus, another fictional character, the devil has so many different descriptions and impressions of how he "looks". Depending on the culture and the time the "generally accepted" version changes. There have been several books and documentaries about this, here is a link to one of the documentaries (pretty good by the way)... http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/history-devil/

Its certainly a face but its not the devils. For one thing, the devil has horns sticking out the top of his head.

If you look carefully, It does have what appear to be pointed ears and the suggestion of horns just above.

This is all very weird for me because I just had a similar experience with a seal I found off a broken bottle.

If you look carefully, It does have what appear to be pointed ears and the suggestion of horns just above.

This is all very weird for me because I just had a similar experience with a seal I found off a broken bottle.

Yes, I suppose there is a suggestion of horns and ears. Hmm.

So, you have seen the devil in a bottle seal?

I've seen the devil or monsters - evil faces - in the clouds, lit up by the moon.I admit, I was 'experimenting' with certain 'pharmaceuticals' at the time, but still.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha 'Device'!

I love the flared nostrils.

If the devil's smart, he'll appear in the guise of a little girl or something.

Nah, this picture looks like the Phantom of the Opera to me.

• 3 weeks later...