Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Dragons

Dragon Seeker

Ok, its been a while since

1) i posted in the forums and

2) Since there has been a dragon thread that i've seen

So

What are some myths/legands that surround dragon

and a note to DC

I want ONLY Dragons, don't go and say things like "Gryphons are dragons" and get it goin on that only dragons please

i need some good myths/legands to look up and read, i've been gettin bored with what i got

and if you can find some good pics of dragons i wont complain either!

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent. Mulder

• draconic chronicler

• Pax Unum

• Dragon Seeker

Ahahaha. Well. I wont say much on gryphons then.

Heres an interesting fact on dragons:

They dont exist in our realm, thats why many do not beleive in them because their is no hard evidence on their existence, unless of course, like someone, has found a dead fetus of one or something like that.

They can cross over to our realm, dont get me wrong. But they dont live here in our world for most of their lives.

I don't usually post on dragon threads because I know little about them, but I think I have something to add to this one. You want an account of a dragon; I think I might have one. A few years ago, I found a website (I won't talk about it's validity because I don't remember it in that great of detail) that talked of dragon sightings from around the world. The one that I read that stuck out in my mind was one that talked of a woman who was hiking in the mountains (I seem to think it was The Rockies). The account said that the woman saw something on a cliff that she couldn't recognize, but when the figure took off into the air, she realized it was a dragon. I am trying to find this website again to get a better account of the story (and any help would be appreciated).

PS. I know this wouldn't hold any water in any form of court (my retelling of an account that was already a second-hand account), but I still find it interesting.

Gosh, I rarely respond to threads with misspellings in their subtitles. "They're" back, not "there" back.

Dragons are so passe. Vampires are the hot topic this month.

Well sue me for bad spelling, Im out of school for 2 months i really dont give much of a damn about spelling

and as for Vampires, they ca go rot in hell where they belong

I need some good myths and or legands surrounding them Dragons that is, i could also do with a few new pics

I need some good myths and or legands surrounding them Dragons that is, i could also do with a few new pics

I have something that might interest you. Have you heard of the dragons of Mt. Pilatus? When I went to Switzerland, I climbed (well more like ascended in gondolas) Mt. Pilatus. It's a lovely mountain overlooking Lake Luzern, but I digress. While at the summit, there were these four plaques that detailed accounts of dragons at the top of the mountain. I took pictures of them. If you like, I can post the pictures; the words are very readable. I won't say anything for the validity of the legends because aside from the plaques I have seen little on the legends, but they are interesting nonetheless.

I have something that might interest you. Have you heard of the dragons of Mt. Pilatus? When I went to Switzerland, I climbed (well more like ascended in gondolas) Mt. Pilatus. It's a lovely mountain overlooking Lake Luzern, but I digress. While at the summit, there were these four plaques that detailed accounts of dragons at the top of the mountain. I took pictures of them. If you like, I can post the pictures; the words are very readable. I won't say anything for the validity of the legends because aside from the plaques I have seen little on the legends, but they are interesting nonetheless.

Actually i'd be very interested that'd be a great help, cause im trying to get some good legands on Dragons for my novel (which is pretty much what its this topic is for in usefulness to me)

Well sue me for bad spelling, Im out of school for 2 months i really dont give much of a damn about spelling

and as for Vampires, they ca go rot in hell where they belong

You are out of school for two months and all of a sudden the search is on for dragons?

But Vampires, no, they can just stick in their grave.

Dragons don't exist. They never did exist. Get out of school and study mythology.

I almost posted before regarding the statement that there had not been any dragon threads for awhile...

I had hoped by not posting I would be partaking in a swift death.

I guess I was wrong.

I thought I recalled you posting those plaques here before. One of the most interesting stories that I recall was of a man lost in the mountains who was 'saved' by a pair of these dragons and survived the whole winter with them. Supposedly the person really did disappear from his home for several months in the winter.

Ok, its been a while since

1) i posted in the forums and

2) Since there has been a dragon thread that i've seen

So

What are some myths/legands that surround dragon

and a note to DC

I want ONLY Dragons, don't go and say things like "Gryphons are dragons" and get it goin on that only dragons please

i need some good myths/legands to look up and read, i've been gettin bored with what i got

and if you can find some good pics of dragons i wont complain either!

You misunderstood my comment. I said gryphons cannot exist. They are an impossible Chimera which ignorant ancient people believed in because they combined the sightings of flying dragons with the skulls of beaked protoceratopsians. This is why most of the gryphons in ancient art are a reptilian green color..... they were actually dragons. If a person was close enough to realize it was a flying reptile, and not an absurd, composite lion-eagle beastie, they were probably dragon bait, and their story was never told.

But an interesting dragon legend you can research is the Piasa, a North american 'Dragon'. When french explorers first reported it, the Natives Americans were terrified of it and refused to enter its territory. Much later, an American invented a tale that he claimed was an Indian Legend that told of them killing the creature, but it was admitted he invented it, as well as a story about finding a cave full of the bones of its victims. There are some real legends reporting that it was an intelligent creature that sometimes joined one side in intertribal warfare with the specialty tactic of snatching up the enemy chief. It is an interesting coincidence that the Piasa monster comes from Illinois, where 'giant bird' sightings are still reported today.

Aye, start with basic mythologies from different cultures. Also, download a copy of Google Earth so you can put thumbtacks at areas where sightings in these stories have taken place. (such as the Yamata-no-Orochi story)

Never know what you'll find with Google Earth. Might find something like a geoglyph of a dragon near one of the locations or something similar.

I'm amazed at two things.

1: That somone would drag us back into the endless vortex of misery and despair that is the dragon thread.

2: That the mods did not just ban this thread as soon as it was created.

We all know how this ends. A neverending argument with DC about dragons that eventually has to be closed.

Okay, thems fightin' words!

Here is the origin of the Dragon Myth plain and simple

Ouroboros is an ancient alchemy symbol depicting a snake or dragon [DNA] swallowing its own tail, constantly creating itself and forming a circle. It is the Wheel of Time - The Alchemy Wheel - 12 Around 1 to manifest grid programs that give the illusion of linear time allowing souls to experience emotions.

Ouroboros is associated with Alchemy, Gnosticism and Hermeticism. It represents the cyclical nature of things, eternal return, and other things perceived as cycles that begin anew as soon as they end.

In some representations the serpent is shown as half light and half dark, echoing symbols such as the Yin Yang, which illustrates the dual nature of all things, but more importantly, that these opposites are not in conflict.

Origins of the Ouroboros

The serpent or dragon eating its own tail has survived from antiquity and can be traced back to Ancient Egypt, circa 1600 B.C.E.

From there it passed to Phoenicia and then to the Greek philosophers, who gave it the name Ouroboros ("the tail-devourer").

Ok to let you all know why im doing this

1) I was just plain bored with little serious discussion on the topic

and

2) I want to base a few myths in my novel off of real ones

Undeadseeker, that gives you your info on why

DC, you are correct i did misunderstand, so im sorry on that

and EtuMalku thanks for another myth

You are out of school for two months and all of a sudden the search is on for dragons?

Dragons don't exist. They never did exist. Get out of school and study mythology.

I almost posted before regarding the statement that there had not been any dragon threads for awhile...

I had hoped by not posting I would be partaking in a swift death.

I guess I was wrong.

Yes you were wrong, I'm out of school for 2 months, and i want to find out about this creature, it facinates me, and it allways has and allways will, also im looking to add an edge of realism to my novel

Yes you were wrong, I'm out of school for 2 months, and i want to find out about this creature, it facinates me, and it allways has and allways will, also im looking to add an edge of realism to my novel

your writing a novel about dragons?

and as for this edge of realism your looking for in something that is not real i dont know what to say

dragons ae just the end result of ignorant people finding dinosaur bones [the one with wings whos name i cant spell its something like pterodactyl] and then assuming there still alive then after that thinking they must be in some way related with fire because as ancient man believed that fire was the end all do all of controllable power on the planet

dragons are make believe. just like evles gremlins and eskimos.

if They Did exist, we would have seen them now, or found their remains. but we have dick all, save for some stories and old paintings.

dragons and pokemon don't exsist. Study something more productive like global warming

Edited by Open your mind

It's a Crypto/Myth Forum, dragon threads will pop up. Even with all of the arguments, the last few Dragon threads have had useful information on mythologies and their evolution that had been posted by various members. Especially for someone that has not yet down such intensive research or does not know where to start, they have been wonderful.

If you don't want to deal with a Dragon/Vampire/Werewolf thread, then don't open it. There, simple.

It's a Crypto/Myth Forum, dragon threads will pop up. Even with all of the arguments, the last few Dragon threads have had useful information on mythologies and their evolution that had been posted by various members. Especially for someone that has not yet down such intensive research or does not know where to start, they have been wonderful.

If you don't want to deal with a Dragon/Vampire/Werewolf thread, then don't open it. There, simple.

yes, but That is It, unfortunately.

the believers show us nothing else. and never had

yes, but That is It, unfortunately.

the believers show us nothing else. and never had

Again, it is a forum that also has Myths. It is perfectly fine to have info that is myth only related in such topics.

Again, it is a forum that also has Myths. It is perfectly fine to have info that is myth only related in such topics.

no. not when youve been on here as often i as have, or others from much longer.

we have to put up with people saying theyre real, with nothing to back it up. its gets tiresome.

i dont really care about talking about myths. thats fine

Edited by Agent. Mulder

no. not when youve been on here as often i as have, or others from much longer.

we have to put up with people saying theyre real, with nothing to back it up. its gets tiresome.

i dont really care about talking about myths. thats fine

It's not really 'putting up with' when you choose to open the thread. Also, you could say everything mentioned on this forums is not real, so what's the point?

I understand trying to post information to educate people, and I am ok with that. But not going into threads just for the sake of saying they are wrong.

We should post information to assist with the learning of the original poster. Post info and let them decide for themselves.

It's not really 'putting up with' when you choose to open the thread. Also, you could say everything mentioned on this forums is not real, so what's the point?

I understand trying to post information to educate people, and I am ok with that. But not going into threads just for the sake of saying they are wrong.

We should post information to assist with the learning of the original poster. Post info and let them decide for themselves.

ummmm, no you couldnt. how often do you come on here? people have info/data/evidence to back things up. Unlike people who state dragons are real.

thats my point. i dont come on here to say theyre wrong, my name is fricken agent mulder! i come on to read, but when i ask for evidence on things like this, i get Nothing from them.