Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 5 votes

What is the scariest movie?

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#511    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 07 June 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Yes Scowl, I agree with much of that. Kubrick really just vacuumed the life and complexities from out of Jack Torrance and Wendy. There is so much packed into the novel that outlines and shades in and suggests the methods to their flaws (and I suppose madness) that were just waiting to be unlocked by the sombre energies of that hotel. He created a painting really, not something that will bend if you touch it as you just can't get anywhere near to the damn surface, it's just all over the darn place trynna keep that film in one comfortable place in your interpretations :D

There's a lot of stuff in it that wouldn't easily translate to the screen. The saddest thing is that Stanley friggin' Kubrick, who everyone in the industry believes is one the greatest film makers ever, didn't even try most of the time. When he did it was just a bunch of quick screwy random images: the skeleton ballroom, Jack seeing the maze turn real, the elevator of blood, Jack in the vintage photo. This is the random junk that lesser film makers throw into their movies to give the impression of a deeper meaning.

I think he was far too influenced by great actors. He did everything Peter Sellers asked him to in two movies. Once it was clear that the audience would love every second that Jack Nicholson was crazy on the screen, there would be no need to waste time for a subtle transformation. The Making Of showed how much Kubrick was enjoying Nicholson's performance.

#512    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

I remember a film from years ago about a phone box, and you go into it, but can't get back out everyone tries to get you out but fail so the only way is to take the whole phone box with you in it away for extraction. You end up in some giant super warehouse i think full of other phone boxes and you become hooked up to some sort of liquidising machine that slowly feeds on you for whoever, i think it was a French film?
Late 70's i think.

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

#513    The Nameless One

The Nameless One

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

• (\ /)
    (0.0)
    (><)
    /_|_\
    Frank The Rabbit: 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostSystemShoX, on 08 March 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

That's nothing compared to My Little Pony: The Movie.

My Little Pony the movie is up there, I remember being frightened of the smooths as a kid. lmao But on a real note I'd have to say, The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister was pretty darn scary too me also Stephen Kings It. BTW not a scary movie but John Dies At The End is a great flick, check it out if you don't know about it, and read This Book Is Full Of Spiders if you haven't.

God Speed! TNO

Edited by The Nameless One, 11 June 2013 - 04:03 PM.

One night I ventured to my wooden rocking chair right outside my back porch, and I looked to the sky in the break of twilight, staring into the dark mirror of space, filled with sands of star dust, colossal supernovas and red giants, strings of wormholes and distant planets beyond my grasp. A place where tiny enigmatic hidden black holes tear through the fabric of space and time which, who knows; may lead into other dimensions and perhaps alternate realities. And as I look up at this heavens mirror which my hands can only reach so far through this looking glass, I felt an odd sensation of something looking back staring into my own eyes, staring into a whole other universe of which I new nothing about until I saw my reflection within it, and in that moment I then knew that the key which open the portal doors to parallel worlds was myself.    "The Eyes of the Universe, Chris Landrum"

#514    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 07 June 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

NUFF SAID

Yea but it soon sank.. I was hoping he would actually GET Wendy.. She annoyed me...

I was also wondering why the hedges didn't come to life in that one?

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#515    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 June 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yea but it soon sank.. I was hoping he would actually GET Wendy.. She annoyed me...

Must all woman be dumb as rocks in horror movies? Stanley Kubrick thought so!

I was also wondering why the hedges didn't come to life in that one?

Because they wouldn't have looked perfect and Kubrick never did anything that wasn't perfect!

I liked how Kubrick spent years and years working on "A.I." trying to figure out how to make everything in it perfect but giving up because the robot teddy bear would have looked fake. After he died, Spielberg took over the project and had it in theaters in a year.

#516    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

View Postscowl, on 10 June 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

There's a lot of stuff in it that wouldn't easily translate to the screen. The saddest thing is that Stanley friggin' Kubrick, who everyone in the industry believes is one the greatest film makers ever, didn't even try most of the time. When he did it was just a bunch of quick screwy random images: the skeleton ballroom, Jack seeing the maze turn real, the elevator of blood, Jack in the vintage photo. This is the random junk that lesser film makers throw into their movies to give the impression of a deeper meaning.

I think he was far too influenced by great actors. He did everything Peter Sellers asked him to in two movies. Once it was clear that the audience would love every second that Jack Nicholson was crazy on the screen, there would be no need to waste time for a subtle transformation. The Making Of showed how much Kubrick was enjoying Nicholson's performance.
Funny thing Stephen King absolutely HATED the movie.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#517    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,959 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

White Noise was scary.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#518    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

View Postscowl, on 11 June 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

I know, but the constant complaining  Why Jack this and why Jack that?...Her voice just went through me...

The young boy who played Danny was pretty good.

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 11 June 2013 - 10:23 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#519    Codenwarra

Codenwarra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. (Mencken)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

I can't bear to watch film of rock and mountain climbers, or idiots standing on the edges of cliff and overhangs.  Actually a distant relative was killed in a fall from a cliff years ago in Scotland.  That might have something to do with it.  

I dozed off watching "The Exorcist" for the first time.  The few beers I'd had before might have been why.

I could not make a hired DVD of "The Ring" work properly and eventually gave up on it.

"The Blair Witch Project" was just bloody annoying.

There's a few good shocks in plenty of movies but I have not been really frightened by any movie since I was a kid and saw "Them" where giant ants arrive in LA.  For  a long time afterward the sound of distant cicadas gave me the willies.

"The Woman in Black" made for British TV years ago was scarier than any movie I have seen for years.

#520    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

The scariest thing is not the movies its the price they charge you to watch them. :cry:

#521    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

View Postscowl, on 11 June 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Because they wouldn't have looked perfect and Kubrick never did anything that wasn't perfect!

I liked how Kubrick spent years and years working on "A.I." trying to figure out how to make everything in it perfect but giving up because the robot teddy bear would have looked fake. After he died, Spielberg took over the project and had it in theaters in a year.
And in actuallity Most of the time its the females that survive horror movies, I cant really think of any that didnt have a female coming out as the hero

View Postregeneratia, on 11 June 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

White Noise was scary.
That actually was pretty scary, but I think Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is even scarier. Just in the fact that, that type of stuff really happens.  I remember after I saw that movie I was stunned

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#522    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,959 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 12 June 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

And in actuallity Most of the time its the females that survive horror movies, I cant really think of any that didnt have a female coming out as the hero

That actually was pretty scary, but I think Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is even scarier. Just in the fact that, that type of stuff really happens.  I remember after I saw that movie I was stunned

I have never seen that movie. I am not much for scary movies. I don't seek them out.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#523    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,639 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

View Postsvenshoegazer, on 08 March 2011 - 04:59 PM, said:

The Shining. It so scared me as a kid (Just the trailer, yeah I am that old lol). And then when I did see it as a preteen I couldn't finish watching it. The Twin scene, the Tub scene and halls running with blood still freaks me out to this day.
The Shining but the TV miniseries version.  It was done with Stephen King helping out.  The bath tub scene gave me nightmares as an adult.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#524    Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Scariest movie to me by concept is the fly.. if not the actual film. Something about the notion creeps me out big time. I guess by concept human centipede is pretty awful... but isn't worth of discussion imo lol.

Edited by Silver Surfer, 13 June 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#525    slaughtr

slaughtr

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

• I Doubt Nothing!!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

I would have to say the Exoricist ,that movie was so ill I still can't watch it alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users