Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Tobacco display ban in Scotland

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,668 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 17 December 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

I smoke.  Not proud of it.

We have no smoking in all public places including pubs, restaurants, shopping malls etc.  In some places it's banned outdoors.  Government buildings and hospitals you can't smoke within ten meters of the entrance.
And even outdoors, you are not allowed to smoke at a bus stop!
I lost my mom to lung cancer (lifelong smoker) but I still believe that if the government is going to vilify a class of citizens for their behavior then they should just ban the substance instead.  But they are too cowardly AND greedy to give up the revenue.  I have no problem with bans on smoke in an indoor public venue like restaurants or bars.  But when a person cannot even smoke in the outdoors I say it's a step too far!

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#17    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

View Postand then, on 18 December 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

I lost my mom to lung cancer (lifelong smoker) but I still believe that if the government is going to vilify a class of citizens for their behavior then they should just ban the substance instead.  But they are too cowardly AND greedy to give up the revenue.  I have no problem with bans on smoke in an indoor public venue like restaurants or bars.  But when a person cannot even smoke in the outdoors I say it's a step too far!

You can't ban the substance, this is just silly. All it does is create a black market and gangsters, while persecuting the innocents who simply enjoy using whatever substance it is.

I mean think about it rationally. If you're going to keep drugs illegal, ban tobacco (and also alcohol, obviously, as it is in exactly the same category as the aforementioned), then where does it end? By far the largest substance abuse killer in Britain is solvent abuse. In Britain it kills almost more people (in some past years 'more', not 'almost more') than all other drugs combined (my brother was one of those statistics, way back when). So, what? Should we then ban deodrant? Lighter fuel? Hairspray? Glue? Petrol?!

The substance isn't the issue that needs addressing. The individual user dependance is what needs to be addressed. Whether it be cocaine, heroin, tobacco, alcohol, or glue, money should be invested in helping people with their substance abuse and dependance, not wasted on 'policing' recreational or even habitual users.

People should be allowed to put whatever they want into their own bodies, until it starts to affect other people around them. Then they should be given proper help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users