Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Falklands will not solve Argentina's woes

The Velour Fog

The claim to the Falkland Islands is one of the rare issues that unites Argentina’s fractious political parties and relieves the domestic pressure on the embattled Peronist government.

But if President Christina Kirchner reckons that a renewed campaign of harassment against the islands would divert public attention from Argentina’s economic problems, its loss of a majority in mid-term congressional elections and a recent corruption scandal over her family’s alleged business dealings, she risks a massive political miscalculation.

Source and full article.

Thoughts on Argentina's renewed interest?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alien Being

• xris

• MARAB0D

• Space Commander Travis

So Christina Kirchner sees herself as the new Galtieri? Is that a wise career move?

... does that mean that Gordon Brown (or Cameron, or whoever might be in office if they ever do decide to try anything) would be the new Mrs. T.??

This is all very confusing.

Thoughts on Argentina's renewed interest?

It's all hot air.

The interest, tough, is not renewed. Argentina attaches visit the internatioanl fora every year to renew a complaint over the Islands, as far as I know. It's just that this time oil was the trigger. It is true also that the inflation here is soaring mad, especially these last couple of weeks, and the Executive power might want to get us all into a round of patriotism-induced collective chest beating. But the political parties are cynical: a mistep, a word uttered in the wrong place, at a wrong time by the President regarding this matter and every vulture will jump at her throat, accusing her of causing an unnecessary diplomatic clash.

At most this will end up with each one's ambassadors being kicked out from GB and Argentina-

Agreed that this is just saber rattling. I don't think Argentina would be stupid enough to start another war over the islands.

The possibility of Oil and Gas could mean Britain PLC is going to get rich, instead of importing oil and gas we'll become self sufficient and a exporter.

the Argies were offered a deal in the exploration but their government turned it down. Latin pride for ya. on blockading ships, i say just try it, because when it comes to the Islands 1982 aint going to repeat itself the argies simply don't have the capability.

Plus the UK would likely get more support that they did last time around, including direct US military support. Add in the fact that the base on the islands are more heavily defended and you've got an ugly picture for Argentina.

Plus the UK would likely get more support that they did last time around, including direct US military support. Add in the fact that the base on the islands are more heavily defended and you've got an ugly picture for Argentina.

We should do nothing.

If Argentina blockades our boats we should declare war and use our neuclear detterant. Bet they dont come back for a third try.

Edited by Alien Being

We should do nothing.

If Argentina blockades our boats we should declare war and use our neuclear detterant. Bet they dont come back for a third try.

I'm not sure who is currently in charge at the Foreign Office, but I'm just glad it's not you.

The Argies got their asses kicked back in 1982, and that was with an older (at the time) Royal Navy and military reclaiming the islands after the Argies took it with almost no resistance (there were, what, a half-dozen British troops there at the time?). This time, the British have got several hundred guys there with much better weapons, and a better fleet than they had in 1982 - while the Argentinian naval capability has sunk to a lower level. It'd be suicidal for them to try and invade them.

Plus the UK would likely get more support that they did last time around, including direct US military support.

This is definitely true. The US basically did everything it could short of sending its military down to help the UK out in 1982, but this time around, it wouldn't be so constrained. In fact, it would probably be constrained in the opposite direction; if they didn't help the British out with it, the British would probably start pulling their troops out of Afghanistan to deal with it.

I fully support the British saying "Screw negotiations over their sovereignty", by the way. They've been British since 1833, before which they were passed around by the Spanish, the French, and even the British once before. Argentina claimed them, but considering that they had no permanent presence on the islands when the British claimed them, I see no reason why their claim is somehow more legitimate just because they're closer (by that logic, Alaska should be either Russian or Canadian). Moreover, the people there are British - not just english-speaking, actual British - and that's been the case for virtually the entire British rule.

Edited by Guardsman Bass

I fully support the British saying "Screw negotiations over their sovereignty", by the way. They've been British since 1833, before which they were passed around by the Spanish, the French, and even the British once before. Argentina claimed them, but considering that they had no permanent presence on the islands when the British claimed them, I see no reason why their claim is somehow more legitimate just because they're closer (by that logic, Alaska should be either Russian or Canadian). Moreover, the people there are British - not just english-speaking, actual British - and that's been the case for virtually the entire British rule.

You are just simply wrong. There were an Argentinian colony, with people and a governor, that were attacked, first by an USA ship, and later exiled by UK forces. We were already there when the UK came and get us out of there. It is our right to reclaim what is ours.

I'm not sure who is currently in charge at the Foreign Office, but I'm just glad it's not you.

Rofl... Me too.

Not only would it be a war crime - blockading ships isn't enough reason to initiate a nuclear attack - but we'd more than likely be sanctioned by the EU.

Rofl... Me too.

Not only would it be a war crime - blockading ships isn't enough reason to initiate a nuclear attack - but we'd more than likely be sanctioned by the EU.

If they blockade our ships we should sink a few of theres and see what happens.

If they go to war then nukes away.

Edited by Alien Being

If they go to war then nukes away.

Great idea disciple of Dr Strangelove

Use both of our remaining working missiles, Nuke the area pis upset our few friends in the region, they join forces with whats left of Argentina, then we can't get the oil. :huh:

Tell me again - which constituancy are you standing for in May? :D

Great idea disciple of Dr Strangelove

Use both of our remaining working missiles, Nuke the area pis upset our few friends in the region, they join forces with whats left of Argentina, then we can't get the oil. :huh:

Tell me again - which constituancy are you standing for in May? :D

We have more than 2 missles (160+ I think).

I'm not a politician.

Our friends wouldnt be upset they like oil just as much as we do.

name='Alien Being' date='21 February 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1266793633' post='3298927']

We have more than 2 missles (160+ I think).

Yep 160 Warheads, but have to ask permission of the President of the USA to use them! (its part of the bilateral agreement we made when we bought them from America) :yes:

I'm not a politician.

You make as much sense as some of them - I think you stand a chance! :lol:

Our friends wouldnt be upset they like oil just as much as we do.

Yes but they're not going to be too chuffed with buckets of instant sunshine going off next door are they? tends to spoil the weekend BBQ a bit! :tu:

Why would you sink the ships of a country who quite legally exercises its rights over its waters? You can't declare war because a nation decides to implement its international rights.

Quite simply, if you British decide to go to the Islands, then you might avoid certain routes.

Yep 160 Warheads, but have to ask permission of the President of the USA to use them! (its part of the bilateral agreement we made when we bought them from America) :yes:

You make as much sense as some of them - I think you stand a chance! :lol:

Yes but they're not going to be too chuffed with buckets of instant sunshine going off next door are they? tends to spoil the weekend BBQ a bit! :tu:

You do know that in England we have two Tritium plants dont you?

Skyburst means no fallout.

Why would you sink the ships of a country who quite legally exercises its rights over its waters? You can't declare war because a nation decides to implement its international rights.

Quite simply, if you British decide to go to the Islands, then you might avoid certain routes.

Since when does Argentina own Falkland waters?

Tritium decays fast.

No waiting centuries before you move in to Argentinas land.

Why chase the wayward fly with a shotgun when you can tw@t it with a newspaper?

Edited by Splodgenessabounds

name='Alien Being' date='21 February 2010 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1266795083' post='3298956']

You do know that in England we have two Tritium plants dont you?

Having worked at Aldermaston under secondment from the RAF you can take it that I have some familiarity with the UK nuclear industry both civil and military.

Skyburst means no fallout.

When I was in service to Elizabeths flying circus, I used to carry freefall Nuclear weapons strapped to my wonderjet. The term you are looking for is Airburst, there is still fallout from an airburst delivery, just not so much as a Groundburst which throws up dirt rubbish, pulverised buildings,vehicles and the remains of people etc.

Airburst is used to deny communications and destroy any technology that has not been 'hardened' to withstand the EMP from such a weapon. It is indiscriminate and an airburst over Buenos ares would also affect most of the surrounding countries, Including the area around the Falklands.

Since when does Argentina own Falkland waters?

It doesn't, but it does have soveriegnty over its own coastal waters and airspace and this is where it is blockading ships and preventing commercial overflights.which naturally is affecting the falklands.

Edited by glyndowers heir

It doesn't, but it does have soveriegnty over its own coastal waters and airspace and this is where it is blockading ships and preventing commercial overflights.which naturally is affecting the falklands.

This.

Having worked at Aldermaston under secondment from the RAF you can take it that I have some familiarity with the UK nuclear industry both civil and military.

When I was in service to Elizabeths flying circus, I used to carry freefall Nuclear weapons strapped to my wonderjet. The term you are looking for is Airburst, there is still fallout from an airburst delivery, just not so much as a Groundburst which throws up dirt rubbish, pulverised buildings,vehicles and the remains of people etc.

Airburst is used to deny communications and destroy any technology that has not been 'hardened' to withstand the EMP from such a weapon. It is indiscriminate and an airburst over Buenos ares would also affect most of the surrounding countries, Including the area around the Falklands.

It doesn't, but it soes have soveriegnty over its own coastal waters and airspace and this is where it is blockading ships and preventing commercial overflights.which naturally is affecting the falklands.

Us Brits need to teech them Argentians whos the boss is.

I like airburst. Its good for getting rid of a city and giving its neighbours a dam good sun tan.