Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

[Updated] Letterbox appears on Thames Bridge

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,885 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

Uri Geller and other villagers say they are mystified by the appearance of a red letterbox in the middle of a bridge.

The box has been placed on a buttress on the downstream side of the bridge, which crosses the River Thames.

Residents of Sonning-on-Thames, Berkshire, said the box could only be reached by river users.

Mr Geller, who has lived in the village for 33 years, said he had "never seen anything like it". "This is a very unusual village," he added.

"There are many sightings of a child ghost that walks on the bridge

http://www.bbc.co.uk...kshire-24028902

Uri Geller had to get in the story somehow didnt he?  Still its a much better prank than awful; graffiti tagging

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,302 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Colour me skeptical, but the two bridge photos don't appear to be the same bridge. And just because you see the face of a post box doesn't mean you can put anything into the slot...

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

:lol:

Miss me?

#4    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,890 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

It's clearly the same bridge. And it doesn't even say you can put something into the slot. The article only refers to a "postbox frontage".

As for Uri Geller, oh boy, I want to look like that with 65.

Edit: Mr Geller is 66, soon to be 67.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 10 September 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,885 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 10 September 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

Colour me skeptical, but the two bridge photos don't appear to be the same bridge. And just because you see the face of a post box doesn't mean you can put anything into the slot...

as per bolded, what two bridge photo's, the article has only one?

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,131 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

And Mr. Geller had absolutely nothing to do with it? I heard he was starved for public attention lately.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

So somebody fixed a post box frontage to the bridge,no mystery here.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,302 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

View Postseeder, on 10 September 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

as per bolded, what two bridge photo's, the article has only one?

If you look at the article again, the photo at the top is of Mr Gellar and you can scroll through to see two other photos.

#9    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,372 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

So this guy thinks the ghost of a little girl attached a post box to the bridge? That's pretty funny.

#10    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,885 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 10 September 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

If you look at the article again, the photo at the top is of Mr Gellar and you can scroll through to see two other photos.

Aha now Ive gotcha!  Cheers. But I think it is all the same bridge nonetheless

#11    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,279 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Update + Video:

A letterbox that mysteriously appeared in the middle of a bridge is to be removed as it breaks planning laws

http://www.bbc.co.uk...kshire-24047306

Posted Image

#12    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,562 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

A letterbox that mysteriously appeared in the middle of a bridge is to be removed as it breaks planning laws

Tom Daley will be upset.  He's the new postman!

Edited by Eldorado, 11 September 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,885 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Council jobsworths. :td:   It may have increased visitors and besides its not doing any harm

#14    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,302 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Mr Geller, who has lived in the village for 33 years, said he had "never seen anything like it".

He said it may have been put there by the "ghost of a mischievous little girl" who has been sighted walking on the bridge.

Yes, makes perfect sense that a ghost has loads of post to send and requires an obscurely placed post box. :lol:

Edited by Child of Bast, 11 September 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#15    Blurfoot

Blurfoot

(Formerly 'acute')

• 2,311 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I love practical jokes of this kind. It's not too much of an eyesore, and it's not hurting anyone, so why can't it stay? Are they claiming it's a protected bridge?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users