Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Is food dropped on the floor safe to eat?

food safe eat

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 42,481 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Who hasn't picked up a piece of dropped food from the floor, given it a quick blow and assumed it was still safe to eat?

To many of us, it is second nature to apply the age-old pseudo-scientific 'three second rule' on such occasions, telling ourselves we're safe if the food hit the floor only momentarily.

The idea that food is not contaminated if it is retrieved quickly has been believed for many years - but there has not been extensive proof that this is the case

http://www.dailymail...r-safe-eat.html

Posted Image

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,374 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

It depends a GREAT deal on the floor in question!  Average kitchen where people mop weekly.... probably fine.  A hospital?  Don't even think about it.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#3    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,190 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

If you're a germophobe or your parents we're over protective and didn't let you play in the dirt, I wouldn't try it!
Most of the time it would be harmless, it's more the stigma of eating off a dirty floor which stops people.

I do it sometimes :) It's a toss up between how hungry I am, how dirty the floor is at the time, the quality & type of food I dropped and whether it has any hairs attached when I pick it up.

Posted Image

#4    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Only 1/3 of Brits mop their floor once a week? :w00t:  Nah not having that! Anyhow well done MMU... slightly biased as that's my daughters University and there is NO WAY I would eat food once it's been on my pristine floor :P

Edited by Star of the Sea, 03 May 2012 - 10:44 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#5    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,135 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Any floor anywhere contains millions of bacteria,some of them nasty little swines,who are hoping you drop something then pick it up and pop it in your mouth,and then they are on a free ride to invade your immune system,they LIVE  inside you and cause allsorts of problems.Just imagine that you went down the street to the shop and back,What did you step upon ?.Dried dog muck which you didnt see,rat urine which dried overnight,dried spit, etc..then you went back to your kitchen walked on the floor,dropped a sweet picked it up and hey,you got traces of all the above in your stomach,nice one....I hope you live to see the next new years eve...A survey suggested that the Top  number ONE place where bacteria live is not your loo,but your car steering wheel.....think about it,what did you handle today,a stair rail ? an elevator button ? a door handle ? but you washed your hands before lunch didnt you...!.I  apologise if this offends but I am trying to make you aware of the Invisible Monsters that can shorten your life...Enough said  ,bye

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#6    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,581 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

How many people have died or gotten gravely ill from eating food that was on the floor for a few seconds? I bet not many.

Embrace the impossible.

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,135 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostPurplos, on 03 May 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

How many people have died or gotten gravely ill from eating food that was on the floor for a few seconds? I bet not many.
No statistics available on your specific question,but how many die per year through stomach ailments,bowel cancer etc,things that no one can pin down,but its not atributal to picking up food from the floor,its just not the right thing to do,why put yourself in harms way ?

#8    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 4,952 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

Mythbusters covered this quite well.  The answer naturally depends on how clean and dry the floor is, and the nature of the food.

It's about 9th video down here..

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 17,613 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostPurplos, on 03 May 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

There is that pesky five second rule.....if it isn't sticky that is. :whistle:

#10    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,714 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

You know in the military, a Drill Instructor will make you clean a floor so damn well (often with a toothbrush), that he can eat off of it. I thought it was just an ol' phrase, but somebody actually caught one DI doing it.

Now that's hardcore man...haaaaardcooooooore!

Edited by Purifier, 04 May 2012 - 03:51 AM.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#11    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

if it's something sticky or wet then no. if it's a vegetable i'm chopping for dinner  i rinse it and it goes back with the rest
take more than that to kill me

#12    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

As others here have said, it depends on the floor and whats dropped on it. Here, we have tiled marble floors which are easily and regularly cleaned.  If it's something that has not yet been cooked and can be rinsed, I dont waste it. If it's cooked food, but dry, I will eat it. (unless the dog gets to it first lol)
In Thailand we dont wear shoes in the house, ever,  so we dont worry about what germs we might have brought in on our shoes. It's slippers, or bare feet.  Bare feet?....eeewww...maybe I will stop eating dropped food lol :)

#13    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,135 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

I wonder what they blame when they get "the runs",it must have been something I ate ! I give up...

#14    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

I've seen kitchen counters in restaurants I wouldn't eat from  :P

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#15    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

hmmm... im a complete clean .:*FREAK*:. LOL i wont eat anything dropped on the floor, or anything that has hair on it. i only drink out of bottles and cover up my plate when i eat. i hate dust. and i live in a hella dusty house.

Also tagged with food, safe, eat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users