Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gripe about posting "Quotes"

Jodie.Lynne

Does anyone else find the practice of quoting quotes within quotes to be an annoying habit, or is it just me?

I'm referring to the usage of the quote function when posting a message. I have seen forumite A (F/A) post a message. Forumite B (F/B)then quotes F/A in his reply. F/A then quotes F/B's reply including his own prior quote. F/B then responds copying the whole previous set of posts/replies. Then Forumite C chimes in and expands the discussion, re-posting the statements already posted.

Couldn't people either edit the quote to just the bit they what to reply to? Or even better say something like "In reply to Forumite A's post # 7 on this thread...."

Sorry if this isn't amusing, or if it seems like a waste of bandwidth, but it just cracks me to read, re-read, and read yet again the same statements.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Celumnaz

• MonkeyMan

• Jodie.Lynne

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes its just easier that way hun. thumbsup.gif

Couldn't people either edit the quote to just the bit they what to reply to?  Or even better say something like "In reply to Forumite A's post # 7 on this thread...."

571841[/snapback]

I think some people just have problem editing the quotes therefore they leave them untouched. Also, some people may not be aware that the little orange circle/white arrow in the quote will snap you back to the original post.

wow i actually never knew that. thanks for the info. thumbsup.gif ifwe didn't quote other peoples quotes,we would have major problems pointing out topic stuff from other peoples posts.

Couldn't people either edit the quote to just the bit they what to reply to?  Or even better say something like "In reply to Forumite A's post # 7 on this thread...."

571841[/snapback]

I think some people just have problem editing the quotes therefore they leave them untouched. Also, some people may not be aware that the little orange circle/white arrow in the quote will snap you back to the original post.

Hey I didn't know that orange arrow did that either!

>sigh< see what I mean? LOL ^

Does anyone else find the practice of quoting quotes within quotes to be an annoying habit, or is it just me?

I think quotes within quotes are generally frowned upon on forums, where possible it's preferred that only the post being responded to is quoted, else we end up with a large block of text consisting of nothing but quoted material.

I usually just copy the text I want then paste it into quotes manually. That way it's easier to manage and to identify points within the quote original.gif

lol with the topic I just had to!! sorry hehe. I'll behave.

kinda on topic... my opinion o course...

only bothers me when quotes of quotes of quotes take up half a page...

But people lose track of topics and who said what to who and why and without quotes it'd be even more of a mess of misunderstandings than aesthetics are with them.

only bothers me when quotes of quotes of quotes take up half a page...

Same here, one or two embedded quotes taking up a small amount of space isn't really a problem, it's when you have to scroll down two pages worth of quotes within quotes that it gets a bit irritating.

I have been known to remove hugely excessive quotes from time to time.

I do find myself removing quotes alot.

People, please remember that it's not nessesary to quote a huge post from another member, simply to post a *lol* smiley underneath it.

But it seems like spam if you just post 'lol'... :/

It's the same either way, just either with a redundant quote that takes up half the page which is completely useless, or not.

The ones that irritate me are the ones when somebody quotes the entire contents of the post directly above them, which is usually allready a massive quote within a quote within a you guys know the ones I mean.