Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Putting a myth to rest

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16    Curiosity

Curiosity

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

• `Twas ignorance that killed the cat.

Posted 29 October 2004 - 03:12 AM

Snopes will give us some insight here... original.gif

Our doubts are traitors,
And make us lose the good we oft might win
By fearing the attempt.
-W. Shakespeare

#17    _hAiLO_

_hAiLO_

Government Agent

• 3,777 posts

• "Yay! I'm gonna be sick!" -GIR

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE(Stellar @ Oct 28 2004, 08:29 AM)
Hey hailo, arwen, how about you read the links instead of just dismissing them? Yeah, I guess you're gonna tell me PET and MRI scans are wrong? Theres evidence supporting the fact that we use more than 10% of our brain... theres no evidence supporting the 10% myth.

View Post

I did not say in any way in any of my posts that we only use 10% of our brain. I actually agreed with the fact!!

QUOTE(ME)
Yup, thats true. We use more than 10%.

I didn't say you were WRONG, I just said an agreement.

The thing that would have sparked a debate here is the next sentence:
But I don't see how we use 100%.

Scientists have not proven that we use 100% of our brain. I'm thinking that if we did, everyone on Earth, considering the size of everyone's brain is fairly the same, would have the same intelligence level, or IQ...in which they don't.

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE, 29 October 2004 - 04:05 AM.

You may believe i'm a gullible fool, but look whos gullible now.

#18    Independent1

Independent1

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE(firefemme1202 @ Oct 27 2004, 12:47 PM)
Ditto.
Great, we had one of the world's greatest scientest in our country last century and we used him to build an ATOM BOMB.  Gee.....all that time and he could have been discovering other things.....shoot, I'm glad he at least had time to figure out E=MC squared before people used his genius for something else equally or potentially more destructive.

View Post

Steller had a great point---at the time, the A-bomb didn't seem like such a bad idea.  We now know differently.

#19    arwenpotter

arwenpotter

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

• Is a Digital Illustrator

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:49 AM

arwen, how about you read the links instead of just dismissing them? Yeah, I guess you're gonna tell me PET and MRI scans are wrong? Theres evidence supporting the fact that we use more than 10% of our brain... theres no evidence supporting the 10% myth.

why in the goddess' name are you bloody attaacking me? i dont care and i know i havent read the links i was just saying touche to hailo coz i thought it was a good point! dont attack without reason please!

#20    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,577 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 29 October 2004 - 11:47 AM

Hailo, you did equate my links with links saying that we DO only use 10% of our brains!

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#21    _hAiLO_

_hAiLO_

Government Agent

• 3,777 posts

• "Yay! I'm gonna be sick!" -GIR

Posted 29 October 2004 - 03:52 PM

I was just showing an example. Not everything in that site is true, I was comparing site to site. I didn't say in any of my text that I totally agreed whats in there.

I agree with you okay, Steller. The site I showed you probably brought up the wrong explanation on what the site was about.

Edited by Hailo_hellFIRE, 29 October 2004 - 03:54 PM.

You may believe i'm a gullible fool, but look whos gullible now.

#22    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,577 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:22 PM

Not everything in that site is true

Anyone who doesnt believe it is welcome to check for other sources... but anyone unwilling to accept it is probably gonna end up dismissing all the sites talking about the 10% myth being a myth.

----Seraphina

#23    firefemme1202

firefemme1202

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

• It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. --Aristotle

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(Independent1 @ Oct 28 2004, 11:07 PM)
Ditto.
Great, we had one of the world's greatest scientest in our country last century and we used him to build an ATOM BOMB.  Gee.....all that time and he could have been discovering other things.....shoot, I'm glad he at least had time to figure out E=MC squared before people used his genius for something else equally or potentially more destructive.

View Post

Steller had a great point---at the time, the A-bomb didn't seem like such a bad idea.  We now know differently.

View Post

Exactly, I never said it wasn't thought of as a good idea at the time, I was just saying, which you emphasized also, that now we do know differently.  

And Stellar, breath, please original.gif  I looked at the sites and #1, I agree we don't use just 10% of our brains, but #2 I also don't believe everything stated as true.  That's how it is with a lot of websites nowadays...there can be truth mixed in with fiction...but that's why do as much research as possible and in many cases go with the majority.  I think you just misunderstood what hailo was trying to say.  But those were good links to look at considering the majority of what were in the links had solid foundations.  It's all good original.gif

To suppose that earth is the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to believe that in an entire field sown with millet, only one grain will grow.  --Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century BCE

We adore chaos because we love to produce order.

#24    lego jedi

lego jedi

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

• are you all 'special'?

Posted 30 October 2004 - 06:45 PM

I think i have damaged more then 10 % of my brain when i was out last night.. ahh alcohol the stuff of brain damage! tongue.gif

http://cache.lego.co...sban540x126.jpg[/img]

I'm in a bad mood and i realy couldnt care less!

#25    Method

Method

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

• Bush & Cheney 2004

Posted 30 October 2004 - 07:58 PM

90% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

#26    firefemme1202

firefemme1202

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

• It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. --Aristotle

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:17 PM

^haha, including that one?

To suppose that earth is the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to believe that in an entire field sown with millet, only one grain will grow.  --Metrodorus of Chios, 4th century BCE

#27    Diebytheflyguy

Diebytheflyguy

Poltergeist

• 3,185 posts

• It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Posted 31 October 2004 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE(Independent1 @ Oct 29 2004, 12:07 AM)
Ditto.

View Post

View Post

laugh.gif "It seemed like a good idea at the time" They didn't take the time to sit back, and think about what could happen with such a powerful weapon. Seems like they weren't using their brain when that happened.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time to have unprotected sex."

#28    firefemme1202

firefemme1202

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:10 AM

To bad they didn't know about STD's and AIDS wink2.gif good point, thanks for backing me up there flyguy wink2.gif

#29    Method

Method

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

• Bush & Cheney 2004

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(firefemme1202 @ Oct 30 2004, 05:17 PM)
^haha, including that one?

View Post

Thats actually true.  blink.gif

#30    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,577 posts

-Patton

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:18 PM

"It seemed like a good idea at the time" They didn't take the time to sit back, and think about what could happen with such a powerful weapon. Seems like they weren't using their brain when that happened.

Actually, it didnt *seem* like a good idea, it was a good idea.  The axis was also making an A-Bomb, and if they succeeded, things would have been a lot worse.

----Seraphina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users