Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Australia Has Prostitutes?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#16    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,579 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostBella-Angelique, on 28 May 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

The entire human race is its victim. It turns people into commodities which is not the same at all as hiring a laborer. In time everyone will finally figure this out and accept it as truth, the same as most have that slavery is wrong even if a person sold themselves into slavery.

I don't think you can equate prostitution with slavery. There are many things that are sick/disgusting but legal.
There are people with feet fetishes who pay people to let them rub their feet. Should those people be arrested? is that the same as slavery? Not even close.

If it doesn't hurt/effect you in any way, why should you care?

Prostitution is only illegal in countries controlled by religious populations (like the USA) or religious governments (like Iran).

You support the right for a woman to get an abortion because its her body, but despise the same woman for making the choice to sleep with a man for money. This is a huge double standard.

Tell me the difference between paying a man/woman to; wash your car, rub your feet with oil, or have sex with you.
All are services provided by someone who has a choice of what they do with their lives and are trying to make some money.

As far as i can tell, no one is getting hurt, no one is forcing anyone into anything, no one is stealing from anyone, so where is the crime?

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't advocate for anyone to go into this line of work. It disgusts me as well and i couldn't imagine the appeal for either party. But there is no logical reason for it to be illegal.

#17    Aim4TheHead

Aim4TheHead

Government Agent

• 3,750 posts

• This tragedy is all my fault.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

View PostDKO, on 28 May 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Street walkers are illegal. To be honest I've never seen a street walking hooker, don't know of anyone here who has either.

I've seen them. When you see one (if you're driving) you need to honk your horn and yell out hooker...in case you didn't know. :tu:

#18    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostEldorado, on 28 May 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

You have postmen on motorbikes going up and down stairs?

:unsure2:

Maybe some... Nah from house to house they ride small 110cc bikes.

Here's one crazy postie:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#19    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,097 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

I have a couple of friends that work in the industry (both male and female).. they have no complaints.. one of them makes 10 grand a week doing it..

one of the most famous brothels in australia is in kalgoorlie (australia's first legal brothel) .. been there since the gold rush days..

#20    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,977 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 28 May 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Post boxes in multistory residences are all outside the building on the footppath.

Doh!.. I thought of that after posting but too late to edit. (pun purely coincidental.. lol)

#21    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,826 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostDingoLingo, on 29 May 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

I have a couple of friends that work in the industry (both male and female).. they have no complaints.. one of them makes 10 grand a week doing it..

one of the most famous brothels in australia is in kalgoorlie (australia's first legal brothel) .. been there since the gold rush days..

10 Grand a week! Man i'm in the wrong business.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

#22    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,977 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostDKO, on 29 May 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Cheer up!.... you have self-respect and dignity, which are priceless.  :)

#23    dlonewolf85

dlonewolf85

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 226 posts

• I'm not a bad boy,

But just misunderstood!!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostInsightful Waffles, on 28 May 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

its prostitution, its disgusting in every form.

I beg to differ with you on this one. I see prostitution as disgusting only if it is forced on someone, or when kids are involved, or when a person has no other choice but to take that as means of a livelihood. If a matured adult individual takes up prostitution as a choice, I don't see why it should be seen as disgusting. It's just a choice after all. Just because a person chooses to be a nun, it doesn't make her a saint, similarly, a prostitute shouldn't be seen as a disgusting individual. Also, there could be several different aspects to the same individual. A person is not always his or her profession. Unless, of course, a person decides to be some sort of a moral police, I don't see how prostitution as a choice could be deemed disgusting. Not everyone's views and their experiences are exactly the same, right? And there are about 7 billion people living in this world as of now. I guess, we just have to learn to live with people who may be different from us and perhaps also try be more tolerant and more compassionate towards the same.

∂ Ѡοɭ ʄ85

#24    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,097 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

View PostEldorado, on 29 May 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

So does she :) if you ever met her you would not pick her as a pro..

She is highly educated.. Used to do account managment and was paid extremely well doing it.. but in this. .she gets paid more.. less stress.. works in a nice establishment.. There are prostitutes and there are hookers.. hookers are you street walkers..

As she said.. she is getting paid for what she would normally get up to when going out to the clubs or pubs on the weekend.. :)

#25    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,804 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostDKO, on 29 May 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Nah, your male. That depreciates your services by about 99.9999999999999999%
Because men who want sex are not all too difficult to find for some reason..........................

I think Prostitution is a tricky business. I have met some strippers who say they would never demean themselves by prostituting their body to a man, and I have met a prostitute or two who say they would never demean themselves by spreading their legs in front of hundreds of jeering men out in public. They say it is much more dignified to have a discrete meeting and go behind closed doors with one person in private. Who is right? Are either? I happen to have an acquaintance who owns a stripper company.

I think people like Dingo Lingos friend are entitled to make their own decision, and if she is indeed making ten grand a week, and I do not doubt that, who is being used there? I would say, not the person making ten grand a week. Heck, that is good business, if one has the right mentality to get by in that industry, then one can make themselves very comfortable for life, I have heard many times of women who prostitute themselves and it pays for the penthouse, the fine car, and intense studies. One stripper I know has just about finished studying and will be a medical doctor in about 12 months.

What it comes down to I think is that if it is a personal decision from an informed person, then we have no right to stand in their way. I see that as interfering with business. If prostitution is coerced, forced or duped, that should be regarded a serious crime with a harsh penalty. And I honestly do not believe that it would be all that hard hard to distinguish the two.

Edited by psyche101, 30 May 2012 - 06:58 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#26    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,804 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

View Postand then, on 28 May 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

http://www.bloomberg...ry-victory.html

Who knew?  (and why wasn't I informed sooner?) :w00t:

LOL, you didn't hear? There was quite a kerfufle about fourteen years ago when the industry was legalised as to where to put brothels. Mostly legal anyways.......

Link -
Queensland sex industry still largely illegitimate

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#27    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,826 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 30 May 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

Nah, your male. That depreciates your services by about 99.9999999999999999%
Because men who want sex are not all too difficult to find for some reason..........................

Damn I guess I shouldn't have quit my job in such a haste... :tu:

What it comes down to I think is that if it is a personal decision from an informed person, then we have no right to stand in their way. I see that as interfering with business. If prostitution is coerced, forced or duped, that should be regarded a serious crime with a harsh penalty. And I honestly do not believe that it would be all that hard hard to distinguish the two.

Yeah I agree, It's a job they choose and with that kind of money who could say they are wrong. I remember seeing on A Current Affair once, They showed how extensive the checkups are on brothels. The girls and brothels are screened thoroughly and often to make sure nothing dodgy is going on. All the girls seemed happy and the place was very posh looking, not a dirty room some people are imagining I think.

And besides every country has prostitution, the difference is in places that make it illegal. Girls walking dangerous streets at night and hopping in cars maybe to never be seen again. No safety or regulations.

Confucius Says:

#28    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,804 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostDKO, on 30 May 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Damn I guess I shouldn't have quit my job in such a haste... :tu:

:w00t: :rofl:

Classic! The dole might be looking good................... :D

Yeah I agree, It's a job they choose and with that kind of money who could say they are wrong. I remember seeing on A Current Affair once, They showed how extensive the checkups are on brothels. The girls and brothels are screened thoroughly and often to make sure nothing dodgy is going on. All the girls seemed happy and the place was very posh looking, not a dirty room some people are imagining I think.

Indeed, and I can understand why the industry has a tainted image, whilst there is enterprising ladies making a decent buck in very good conditions, there are also some real scumbags who take advantage of inexperienced people. It needs strict policing, which due to the nature of the profession seems rather ironic. Hard to be fair to everyone, but a total ban is not the answer either, it is going to happen wether people want it to or not.

And besides every country has prostitution, the difference is in places that make it illegal. Girls walking dangerous streets at night and hopping in cars maybe to never be seen again. No safety or regulations.

Indeed, I have to agree, it is something we need to face head on, it is here, always has been, and is not going anywhere, the worlds oldest profession. Trying to quash it will only make it more dangerous for those who wish to work in the sex industry. And some  aways will, I mean sex is great, who does not like it? I am sure there is quite a few ladies of the night who are pretty happy with their life choice. But again, the wolves need policing.

#29    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,804 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

View PostEldorado, on 29 May 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

I dunno, I think ten grand a week would buy me quite some respect and dignity!

#30    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,977 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 30 May 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

I dunno, I think ten grand a week would buy me quite some respect and dignity!

Would you tell your kids you're a whore who'll do whatever the customer asks as long as the price is right?

Serious questions, my friend... no offence intended etc.

Would you advise your teenage daughter that it's a great career?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users