Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

EU To Ban Olive Oil Bottles From Restaurants

Still Waters

Traditional olive oil jugs are to be banned from restaurants across Europe following a decision in Brussels.

The European Commission has declared that only non-refillable, pre-packaged factory bottles with tamperproof lids can be used from 2014.

It will end the practice of restaurants sourcing their own artisan products to be used in bottles and dipping bowls.

http://uk.news.yahoo...;_ylv=3#uLe0XRA

• Like 1

EU is just one swollen rear that has nothing better to do than fart out these kind of "decisions". Hooray for my country being indebted for nothing to it and ruining our economy... not that we wouldn't had otherwise too, it's inevitable in the bubble-economy anyhow. Just makes things faster I guess. They only real value EU could have for my country is to have more people defend us if Russia attacked us again, but I doubt we'll be helped this time either since we're not in NATO, and dont wanna join there because of USA's oligarc-crusades. EU seems to be still taking it's baby-steps in being an integrated military defense alliance, though it's monetarily and border-wise more united than what's good for us.

I never liked one size for everyone things, not if it's not united military defense alliance, guess it comes from being in a small relatively wealthy country right next to Russia. I guess everyone wants their share of the cake in EU and we're just like the rest, but these kind of decisions dont really help anyone but certain corporate oligarcs. This particular decision favors factory manufacturers instead of smaller manufacturers, a very bad move because independents are already unreasonably tight-pressed to make a living.

• Like 5

That's just STUPID. I'd be torqued if I were a chef or a higher end restaurant.

• Like 2

They cannot make a plan to rescue their Economies but they can ban bottles of Oil, it makes me wonder where their single cell brains are.Does it take a Euro Parliament to decide this, or do they delegate it to the dishwasher person. Italy...the land of Olive Oil will be very pleased...Fubar !

• Like 5

Dare I suggest that this bill was passed at the behest of someone who has a lot of money invested in commercial olive oil?

• Like 6

This might be a good reason to ban the jugs. They might be hard to keep clean. Could of made them use a large mouth one though.

From the article by the OP.

"We are just protecting consumers", he insisted as he added that the non-refillable bottles would also improve hygiene.

This might be another good reason for it. I would want what I was paying for and something that's not getting old.

Olive oil is a product which has been prone to widespread fraud in the EU, when cheap produce is sometimes passed off as high-end extra virgin oil from the top regions.

With the move, the EU wants to make sure citizens can be assured that have the exact product they asked for on their plate.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 2

Cleaning the jugs with bottle brushes should be cheaper than manufacturing a new bottle every time you use up the old content. Oil tends to be stickier but you can let it drain out before washing it. The fraud thing seems a fair point, but I'm really sceptic about this being the solution because think of it: olive oil bottles in here are at least half a liter in size, and you really dont use the whole bottle, so the restaurant people can still swap bottles and you'll be no wiser if you dont know the difference.

So, they're forcing all restaurants to buy commercial products instead of using their own?

• Like 3

Why should olive oil jugs have different rules than wine or booze? You cannot serve them out of a refillable bottle either.

• Like 1

So, they're forcing all restaurants to buy commercial products instead of using their own?

As far as I can tell, they are only forcing them to display where (or what company) the olive oil comes from. To me this doesn't seem unreasonable.

I hate it when I go to, say, a chippy, and I expect the Heinz tomato sauce that is displayed to be put on my fish supper, but when I taste it I discover it is a bitter, watered down version of ketchup.

Olive oil? The only use I'd have for that disgusting foreign muck is to lubricate the bolts on my kitchen door! So quality doesn't really enter into it.

the good old EU, Everything is illegal until they tell you otherwise. and were paying £53million a day to be part of this rubbish. its great to see in the latest poll, that the only country who are in favour of the EU is Germany. all the rest, 26 members populations are polling about 42 to 46% in favour of continued EU membership the signs for the EU are not good.

its good to see the Car industry in Europe has risen for the first time in 18 months but still down 7% on last year, but get this, if we take out the UKs figures for purchasing NEW cars the EU car industry would have recorded another fall in sales. so it just goes to show how much of a impact the UK economy as on europe. it was also great to notice how the UK economy performed better than anticipated while in Europe the Euro zone is heading deeper in the recession. with a bleak outlook for the next 5 years.

has anyone been keeping their eye on the French - German relationship? the cracks are starting to really show now. with their two economies diverging and situations worsening in the southern regions of the Euro zone, the strain is there for all to see. Germany who runs the EU show is holding elections soon. just wait till these elections are over. you'll see the dark forces at work when the current president of France Hollande is removed from office. - he's simply not towing the German EU line, so just like the Greek prime minister and the prime minister of italy before him - he will be removed. wait and see.

politically there is never a dull day in the EU march towards a Federation.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 3

Olive oil? The only use I'd have for that disgusting foreign muck is to lubricate the bolts on my kitchen door! So quality doesn't really enter into it.

Given what you guys consider "olive oil" I am very surprised that you still have bolts with all the acid in it.

Given what you guys consider "olive oil" I am very surprised that you still have bolts with all the acid in it.

If I recall right, you are producing your own olive oil? Man, I'm jealous! :yes:

you have no room to talk, a yank preaching about the quality of food. home of the bouncing cheese etc... say no more.

• Like 1

"We are just making clear that when you want to have olive oil of a certain quality in a restaurant, you get exactly the one you are paying for," Mr Bailly said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those who expect the olive oil of a certain quality, will normally know the difference.

And if there is a bottle of olive oil on the table, I do not expect to pay extra for it!

So what is this all about? Wickian has mentioned it.

I do agree that the bottles should be labled and if the owner has made their own, then it should say so, then it is down to the consumer to decide if its naff or not and complain if it is to the correct people.

But banning? thats just big brother trying to control everything and everyone....again!

I would rather they concentrate on trying to help small businesses by reducing the amount of taxes they charge them, instead of trying to fine them. Maybe there would be no need to cut corners then.

you have no room to talk, a yank preaching about the quality of food. home of the bouncing cheese etc... say no more.

"Michelangelo's famous statue, David, returns to Italy this week after a successful 12 week, 20 city tour in the United States of America."

post-39751-0-89987500-1368963711_thumb.j

• Like 3

"Michelangelo's famous statue, David, returns to Italy this week after a successful 12 week, 20 city tour in the United States of America."

post-39751-0-89987500-1368963711_thumb.j

brilliant, :clap::nw:

If I recall right, you are producing your own olive oil? Man, I'm jealous! :yes:

Yep, and all that I consider below quality gets pressed again and sold as "extra virgin" elsewhere. No wonder they need laws.

• Like 1

They can still refill the bottles once empty. Restaurants have been doing that with ketchup for years.

They can still refill the bottles once empty. Restaurants have been doing that with ketchup for years.

a little difficult with the bottle caps required by law in Europe:

Non_refillable_bottle_caps.jpg

But yes, there are still very inventive people out there....

We have those little pop out plastic pieces on some of our bottles too. I buy certain things by the gallon and keep the jugs in the spare fridge. I refil the smaller bottles to keep in the kitchen.

Dare I suggest that this bill was passed at the behest of someone who has a lot of money invested in commercial olive oil?

lol

Sounds like something out of "The Godfather"

a little difficult with the bottle caps required by law in Europe:

But yes, there are still very inventive people out there....

while Rome burns literally the EU are more concerned with bottle tops and yet more imposed laws. costing even more money to enforce the new laws. all this in a time of high unemployment across the euro area, and youth unemployment at a record high. never mind times of austerity. - when is the EU going to get its act together? because the last time i checked there wasnt crisis of people concerned with olive oil. the way the EU as dealt with the situation passing LAWS you'd think restaurants were serving engine oil.

while Rome burns literally the EU are more concerned with bottle tops and yet more imposed laws. costing even more money to enforce the new laws. all this in a time of high unemployment across the euro area, and youth unemployment at a record high. never mind times of austerity. - when is the EU going to get its act together? because the last time i checked there wasnt crisis of people concerned with olive oil. the way the EU as dealt with the situation passing LAWS you'd think restaurants were serving engine oil.

I looks like Rome burns from your side of the channel, mostly because that way you can avoid sweeping in front of your own door.