Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

EU To Ban Olive Oil Bottles From Restaurants

olive oil jugs bottles restaurants dipping bowls

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,607 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Traditional olive oil jugs are to be banned from restaurants across Europe following a decision in Brussels.

The European Commission has declared that only non-refillable, pre-packaged factory bottles with tamperproof lids can be used from 2014.

It will end the practice of restaurants sourcing their own artisan products to be used in bottles and dipping bowls.

http://uk.news.yahoo...;_ylv=3#uLe0XRA

Posted Image

#2    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

EU is just one swollen rear that has nothing better to do than fart out these kind of "decisions". Hooray for my country being indebted for nothing to it and ruining our economy... not that we wouldn't had otherwise too, it's inevitable in the bubble-economy anyhow. Just makes things faster I guess. They only real value EU could have for my country is to have more people defend us if Russia attacked us again, but I doubt we'll be helped this time either since we're not in NATO, and dont wanna join there because of USA's oligarc-crusades. EU seems to be still taking it's baby-steps in being an integrated military defense alliance, though it's monetarily and border-wise more united than what's good for us.

I never liked one size for everyone things, not if it's not united military defense alliance, guess it comes from being in a small relatively wealthy country right next to Russia. I guess everyone wants their share of the cake in EU and we're just like the rest, but these kind of decisions dont really help anyone but certain corporate oligarcs. This particular decision favors factory manufacturers instead of smaller manufacturers, a very bad move because independents are already unreasonably tight-pressed to make a living.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#3    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,257 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

That's just STUPID. I'd be torqued if I were a chef or a higher end restaurant.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#4    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,585 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

They cannot make a plan to rescue their Economies  but they can ban bottles of Oil, it makes me wonder where their single cell brains are.Does it take a Euro Parliament to decide this, or do they delegate it to the dishwasher person. Italy...the land of Olive Oil will be very pleased...Fubar !

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,798 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Dare I suggest that this bill was passed at the behest of someone who has a lot of money invested in commercial olive oil?

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

This might be a good reason to ban the jugs.  They might be hard to keep clean.  Could of made them use a large mouth one though.

From the article by the OP.

"We are just protecting consumers", he insisted as he added that the non-refillable bottles would also improve hygiene.

This might be another good reason for it.  I would want what I was paying for and something that's not getting old.

Olive oil is a product which has been prone to widespread fraud in the EU, when cheap produce is sometimes passed off as high-end extra virgin oil from the top regions.
With the move, the EU wants to make sure citizens can be assured that have the exact product they asked for on their plate.

Edited by Hilander, 18 May 2013 - 11:56 PM.

#7    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

Cleaning the jugs with bottle brushes should be cheaper than manufacturing a new bottle every time you use up the old content. Oil tends to be stickier but you can let it drain out before washing it. The fraud thing seems a fair point, but I'm really sceptic about this being the solution because think of it: olive oil bottles in here are at least half a liter in size, and you really dont use the whole bottle, so the restaurant people can still swap bottles and you'll be no wiser if you dont know the difference.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#8    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,901 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

So, they're forcing all restaurants to buy commercial products instead of using their own?

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,622 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Why should olive oil jugs have different rules than wine or booze? You cannot serve them out of a refillable bottle either.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostWickian, on 19 May 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

So, they're forcing all restaurants to buy commercial products instead of using their own?

As far as I can tell, they are only forcing them to display where (or what company) the olive oil comes from. To me this doesn't seem unreasonable.

I hate it when I go to, say, a chippy, and I expect the Heinz tomato sauce that is displayed to be put on my fish supper, but when I taste it I discover it is a bitter, watered down version of ketchup.

#11    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,899 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Olive oil? The only use I'd have for that disgusting foreign muck is to lubricate the bolts on my kitchen door! So quality doesn't really enter into it.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#12    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,772 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

the good old EU, Everything is illegal until they tell you otherwise. and were paying £53million a day to be part of this rubbish. its great to see in the latest poll, that the only country who are in favour of the EU is Germany. all the rest, 26 members populations are polling about 42 to 46% in favour of continued EU membership the signs for the EU are not good.

its good to see the Car industry in Europe has risen for the first time in 18 months but still down 7% on last year, but get this, if we take out the UKs figures for purchasing NEW cars the EU car industry would have recorded another fall in sales. so it just goes to show how much of a impact the UK economy as on europe. it was also great to notice how the UK economy performed better than anticipated while in Europe the Euro zone is heading deeper in the recession. with a bleak outlook for the next 5 years.

has anyone been keeping their eye on the French - German relationship? the cracks are starting to really show now. with their two economies diverging and situations worsening in the southern regions of the Euro zone, the strain is there for all to see. Germany who runs the EU show is holding elections soon. just wait till these elections are over. you'll see the dark forces at work when the current president of France Hollande is removed from office. - he's simply not towing the German EU line, so just like the Greek prime minister and the prime minister of italy before him - he will be removed. wait and see.

politically there is never a dull day in the EU march towards a Federation.

Edited by stevewinn, 19 May 2013 - 10:57 AM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,622 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

View Postealdwita, on 19 May 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Olive oil? The only use I'd have for that disgusting foreign muck is to lubricate the bolts on my kitchen door! So quality doesn't really enter into it.

Given what you guys consider "olive oil" I am very surprised that you still have bolts with all the acid in it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 19 May 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Given what you guys consider "olive oil" I am very surprised that you still have bolts with all the acid in it.
If I recall right, you are producing your own olive oil? Man, I'm jealous! :yes:

#15    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,772 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 19 May 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

you have no room to talk, a yank preaching about the quality of food. home of the bouncing cheese etc... say no more.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users