Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The first religion of Divine Mercy 44 BC

Arpee

The Romans were worshiping Clementia (Mercy/Clemency) as a Divine Force (represented as feminine), the first known temple was in 44 BC. Later, it spread to Athens (in Greece) where Mercy was worshiped as Eleos (which means Mercy in Greek). At "The Altar of Mercy" in Athens, people would cry and give their prayers to Eleos/Mercy, asking her for forgiveness and to inspire forgiveness to keep peace and keep away war.

E′LEOS (Eleos), the personification of pity or mercy, had an altar in the agora at Athens. "The Athenians," says Pausanias (i. 17. § 1), "are the only ones among the Hellenes that worship this divine being, and among all the gods this is the most useful to human life in all its vicissitudes." Those who implored the assistance of the Athenians, such as Adrastus and the Heracleidae, approached as suppliants the altar of Eleos. (Apollod. ii. 8. § 1, iii. 7. § 1; Schol ad Soph. Oed. Col. 258 )

Source: Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology.

Mercy/Eleos/Clementia is usually personified as a young woman with a blue dress or veil:

Clementia.jpg

This religion of worshiping Divine Mercy seems to fit with all of the Gospel teachings about the Divine being kind to the good and evil (Luke 6:35/Matthew 5:44), turning the other cheek (Matthew 5:39), not using weapons and therefore perishing with them (Matthew 26:53), and forgiving instead of judging and condemning (Luke 6:37).

Edited by Arpee

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phaeton80

• Magnanimus

• Arpee

• and-then

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, yes. However, it seems to erm.. 'not fit' with the first of the Mosaic Laws.

Well, yes. However, it seems to erm.. 'not fit' with the first of the Mosaic Laws.

Those laws are for people who will obey out of choice. I can think of others who are made to obey out of fear of the sword. You choose ;)

You need to do something about your communication skills AT, seriously. If you want me to understand what youre trying to tell me here, you'd have to do better than that my friend.

I understood it fine, just need a link to the quote. Christianity and Judaism was built from many different religions, IMO.

I understood it fine, just need a link to the quote. Christianity and Judaism was built from many different religions, IMO.

Or they were made up of many different peoples who all brought their respective cultures to the religion and created a patchwork super-religion. It's not like there was a council where a bunch of cardinals sat and argued over whether they wanted the Easter Bunny to hide eggs or hang sacrifices in trees.