Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Salt and Ice?

Claizen

Someone in my science class told me that if you put salt on your skin, then put ice on it, it really hurts. I'm to afraid of doing it, so I was wondering if you guys have done it before? :P

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Umbarger

• Creepy_Steve

• Nadia B.

• SpACatta

...the simplest urban legend ive read on this forum sicne i joined...but if he says it odesnt...its good enuf for me :P

A combination of Salt cold water and ice does get your beers frosty cold in under 2 minutes.

So now you know, and knowing is have the Battle..G..I...JOOOOOOEEEE!

A student of mine told me to sprinkle salt on my arm and to then hold a

piece of ice on top of the salt. He said it burned his arm. After

investigation I came to the conclusion that this was an endothermic

reaction fueling itself from body heat, and giving you the sensation of a

mild frostbite, not a burn. Even leaving a noticeable red place.

hmmmmm.

Unfortunately I don't have any ice in my house right now. I think we'd better get a second opinion Sqratch

sometimes, when I pick up ice out of the freezer, it sticks to my skin cause it's so cold.

sometimes, when I get salt water on my skin, and it dries, it itches and leaves a dry splatch of salt on my arm that can pull my arm hairs.

I guess it could be explained by the fact that the salt would allow the ice to reach a colder than 0C temperature, maybe the heat capacity of the ice water is higher.

Or the heat conductivity of the melted water on your skin in contact with the ice is raised, therefore drawing more heat from your body faster.

I'll need to try it.

I remember doing it, holding it on for a long time, and yes it does. But then again, holding ice on your skin for long periods of time is unpleasant either way.

Yes it does hurt, but it is worth it. Make a design out of the salt and then hold the ice on it untill your skin starts to bleed and you will have a cheap tatoo that stays for quite a while.

A combination of Salt cold water and ice does get your beers frosty cold in under 2 minutes.

Is this true? I'll have to try it. The last time I wanted to get a beer cold fast, I stuck it in the ice bin in my freezer. While waiting for it, I got my usual ice water. So, I put the cup up to the automatic ice dispenser, wait for the ice, and next thing I know, there's beer coming out the dispenser. It ate my beer. I was not happy. And it was messy.

:cry:

Sorry, back on topic. :tu:

HA!!! Mythbusters!

And it's more tingly than painfull

Edited by iac_tracker

Is this true? I'll have to try it. The last time I wanted to get a beer cold fast, I stuck it in the ice bin in my freezer. While waiting for it, I got my usual ice water. So, I put the cup up to the automatic ice dispenser, wait for the ice, and next thing I know, there's beer coming out the dispenser. It ate my beer. I was not happy. And it was messy.

:cry:

Sorry, back on topic. :tu:

This is true, do it all the time.

about 10 to 15 minutes before my friend arrive I throw some cans in a coolbox fill it with cold water, salt and ice.

By the time the sit down and have made themself confortable the beer is ice cold, just right.

Offcourse don't forget to wash of the salt water before passing them around.

HA!!! Mythbusters!

And it's more tingly than painfull

Ok could be, I learned it from my dad when I moved out of the house a couple of years back.

Edited by Creepy_Steve

the big thing in the cold beer case is not the salt, but the water itself. water conducts heat much better than air, so if you leave a can of beer in icewater, it will be colder faster than if you put it in the freezer because the air in the freezer is a poor conducter. salt or no salt, icewater works here.

on the flip side, in a bowl of water is also the quickest way bring things to room temperature so they can be cooked.

as for the ice and salt on skin thing...

the salt does play a big role here. it's just like salting the roads to de-ice them.

1. water conducts heat better than ice.

2. saltwater melts at a lower temperature

3. the higher the salinity, the lower the melting temperature.

4. when salt is applied to ice, it will liquefy slightly, though not raise above the freezing point.

5. zero degree water on your skin can cause frostbite.

the big thing here is that the addition of salt does not change the temperature at all. it just changes the melting point.

if i missed anything here, let me know.

Heh I thought it would hurt because something to do with cell diffusion...

the big thing in the cold beer case is not the salt, but the water itself. water conducts heat much better than air, so if you leave a can of beer in icewater, it will be colder faster than if you put it in the freezer because the air in the freezer is a poor conducter. salt or no salt, icewater works here.

Actualy salted icewater cools beer faster than non-salted icewater. It was on Myth Busters, most helpful myth busted by far.

Could be a combination of the two. The ice water is better at surrounding the cans with cold, and the salt makes the ice last longer? Hmm, need to go to the store. Must experiment. :innocent:

Could be a combination of the two. The ice water is better at surrounding the cans with cold, and the salt makes the ice last longer? Hmm, need to go to the store. Must experiment. :innocent:

I do remember my dad said it was the combi of the cold and the salt.

Salt seems to increase it or spread it faster.

Not a big science/chemistry buff so don't really know.

LOL, who cares. If it works, it's all good. :tu:

user posted image

adding salt to icewater will actually lower the temperature slightly, and it changes the specific heat. so i've no doubt that there will be some difference, but mostly it is that heat transfers through water way more efficiently than air.

It's in no way a myth. I watched my friend do it once, the spot on which the salt and ice were on turned purple (needless to say, it was very painful for him). It stayed like that for a very long while.

Though some of you say it doesn't work for you. What could he have done differently..?

adding salt to icewater will actually lower the temperature slightly, and it changes the specific heat. so i've no doubt that there will be some difference, but mostly it is that heat transfers through water way more efficiently than air.

now i see why you have a dexter avatar....

i dont know about beer part...wont know for a LOOONG time...