Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The morning after

UM-Bot

William B Stoecker: There may be psychics out there who can reliably foretell the future, but I am not one of them. Like most people, I don’t know for sure what will happen on 12/21/2012 or in the months leading up to it, nor what kind of world (if any) we will live in afterward. I can, however, prognosticate by looking at current trends…there are even a few events that seem inevitable. But, before attempting that, let us examine the evidence that 2012 really is a special and significant date. Having written of this previously, I will only summarize.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Redoubt

• AMnPensacola

• xScorpinix

William B Stoecker: There may be psychics out there who can reliably foretell the future, but I am not one of them. Like most people, I don't know for sure what will happen on 12/21/2012 or in the months leading up to it, nor what kind of world (if any) we will live in afterward. I can, however, prognosticate by looking at current trends…there are even a few events that seem inevitable. But, before attempting that, let us examine the evidence that 2012 really is a special and significant date. Having written of this previously, I will only summarize.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

It is quite a jungle out there (2012, that is). Wandering through it carelessly, one can easily become lost in the bramble and tangle.

Rather than racing headlong into this wilderness, we might do better to take a few steps back in order to gain perspective and objectivity.

From the new vantage point, the first question we may want to ask is whether our greatest peril lies in our own responses; will we create our own self-fulfilling prophesy? It has been noted more than once that we are more than capable of doing so. If we feel as though the end is inevitable, our behavior might lead us into irrational acts we would otherwise not even approach. Or if we should suspect that we are the hand or agent of God, we might be inclined to initiate a series of events that we can then attribute to divine will.

This is quite obviously possible when we have theocratic nations led by religious zealots who already harbor prejudices against those of other races and faiths. One good example of just this kind of arrangement would be Iran, where religion and politics do more than just mingle... and there are dangerous ideologues with their fingers on the buttons of war. One mistake from any of a number of sources - internal or external - could see a regional conflagration based on exactly those things; race and religion. The year 2012 stands as good a possibility as another of being the one that sees such a thing begin. All that's really required is a small nudge...

Closer to home (for me), there is a former US Vice President who has now openly equated one's right to question the global warming theory with racism.

Right off the bat, this takes a subject from its own distinct place and mixes it with several other more volatile ones. Why would a man who is seemingly sane and nominally respected, suddenly make such a statement? One can only wonder whether there isn't something deeper happening on the subject, well out of sight of the public or... if he simply hasn't gone off the deep end of the 2012 diving board himself!

There's no good answer because such a statement is wholly and undeniably ridiculous.

The world has worked itself into a frenzy at about the same time 2012 is rounding the bend. So, even if we don't get frozen in a new ice age, fried from climate change, extinguished by Nibiru, harvested by God, tossed into the pit with Satan, slammed by comet Elinen or claimed as property by ET... we still have to overcome ourselves.

That alone is - or should be - more than enough to scare the hell out of anyone.

A nice level-headed "discussion in the midst of the "what-could-it-all-mean" quasi-hysteria building around the 2012 Mayan notations. Lets just hope that peopl like you prevail should mankinds situation appear to be taking on some apocalyptic form as THE day draws near. IF 2012 is it for all of us then i would suggest that we get about the business of living well - according to your view of what living well means - and live until... Just wanted you to know that i enjoyed your posting. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am getting sick and tired of the "teenage" mentality on this site.

To quote:

"There might be..."

"Huge earthquake in 3 days..."

"There could be..."

How about this:

THESE ARE FACTS - and based on those, we/I can reasonable deduce that the following "thing" has a "percentage point" of happening.

Most of the posts in this whole site is getting ridiculous.

Grow up, produce the back up facts to your statements, and stop your cr@p

• 1 month later...

Excellent article. You really did your research.

I'm not psychotic, I don't want anything terrible to happen on 2012. But everyone who is saying "oh 2012 is total BS nothing is gonna happen" is only saying that because they're so afraid of the possibility that something may just happen. I'm not agreeing with the giant meteor punching the Earth thing, but most likely something significant will happen, it may even be considered positive when the time arises. What people need to realize is that over the many, many years mankind has existed on this planet, we have adapted and evolved to everything that's come our way. But, it is not necessarily correct that if something were to happen instantaneously that we would be able to do what we've done for many years. If you bring the proverbial caveman to our common world, the person would most likely die from the common flu, because their immune systems hadn't adapted to defend against it, as it didn't exist in their time. If something happens on the day of 2012 that is an instant change to our lives, we may survive or we may not, it depends on what even happens. Though it's likely it would not be instantaneous, whatever happens. It may be the beginning of a certain, gradual process. It's impossible to predict exactly what may happen, as there is unlimited possibilities and variables to consider. We need to prepare ourselves if something were to happen. I'm not necessarily saying to rent underground bunkers, gasmasks and iodine pills, but to perhaps stock up on freeze-dried food and water, maybe. One thing that is truly inevitable is the chaos that will ensue, as religious extremists will most likely begin looting and riots even if nothing happens.