Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pyramids for rent

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Wasn't sure were to put this topic. Anyway, I read an article about this on vesti.ru today and found this English link. Seems that Egyptian government is so poor that they are going to rent pyramids, Sphinx, Karnak and other sites to highest bidder. To me this seems totaly shocking, though it seems this article is true. Analysis on vesti is that the reality will be that any organisation that rents a monument will simply take over the ticket concession. So hopefully no turning the real sites into something like the Vegas version......

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2013/03/01/268970.html

In a sad way, this is the only viable solution to keeping the sites 'safe' considering the going ons there in the country.

at least that will give some folk a roof over their head . But by the time they find there way upstairs to bed it will be time to come down again .

at least they're not going down the "Militant Muslim" route which is to blow them up because they're an insult to Islam because they're temples to other gods.

• Like 2

Not yet, but if the tourists stay away in large numbers, and those (and there are a huge number) whose jobs depend on tourists have to find other jobs, then there will less reason not to start destroying what remains of AE. I know that in the middle ages one of the Caliphs decreed that the monuments will be left alone, but we live in strange times where religious passions run high and do not give any thought to the past, or it seems the present or future......

Did they ask the aliens permission?

Edited by Junior Chubb

Seems to me the best way to get money to care for the pyramids would be o allow archeologists to dig and explore around them like they have wanted to do for years.

I for one would love to see if there truly is a chamber between the paws of the sphinx and if so what it contains.

All things considered with the state of affairs in that country with the reigning power, I think this is a good Idea. From what I have read, a lot of artifacts have already gone missing since the regime change. This might be the best method to "stop the bleeding" you might say.

Edited by ancient astronaut

Not yet, but if the tourists stay away in large numbers, and those (and there are a huge number) whose jobs depend on tourists have to find other jobs, then there will less reason not to start destroying what remains of AE. I know that in the middle ages one of the Caliphs decreed that the monuments will be left alone, but we live in strange times where religious passions run high and do not give any thought to the past, or it seems the present or future......

You can't lay this one on religion. Science and business don't care about the future

or present either. Government doesn't care about anything beyond the last or next election

and business is concerned only with the quarterly results as they spend increasing amounts

of money to ruin products so consumers buy more and jam landfills with mountains of resources.

We create ever more CO2 in an effort to reduce greenhouse gasses so a few get rich. Our economy

is founded on waste as many starve. The real difference is that Egyptians see both ends of this madness

from those who grow wealthy on waste to those who starve.

I don't see blaming this one on religion. The world has gone mad and it's only natural for a reaction.

That this reaction sometimes seems strange to us is also quite natural.

God willing the Egyptians will survive this as well.

at least they're not going down the "Militant Muslim" route which is to blow them up because they're an insult to Islam because they're temples to other gods.

Which is what I have allways feared. Now that would be a lot worse.

@ Cladking

And the Muslim Brotherhood are atheists then........ Oh, and the Taliban who destroyed the giant Budha statues. And who massacred about 70 tourists at Luxor some years back? militant atheists perhaps....

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri
  • Like 1

(i was just about to say 'cue angry statement by cladking', but you bet me to it!!)

don't you ever sleep clad?!

maybe a test for vampirism would be in order....

:-)

• Like 1

i'm not sure the figure of $200bn is correct though.

that's an awful amount of money to pay for 5yrs rent on ANY property, ancient or not!

i agree with those people that say it's not a good idea.i live in the U.S.A and i don't like the idea.why?well because its Egypt's most valuable monuments and price possession as well.its ancient and is some of the things you guys have that connect Egypt to their past.ask your self's this do you really trust other people taking care of them and etc?besides what if they use for other reasons and things they don't tell that they are doing?

I imagine that they'd be hesitant to waste funds on destruction for the time being, but maybe they'll get creative and threaten to destroy them to get a nice ransom for their protection.

And the Muslim Brotherhood are atheists then........ Oh, and the Taliban who destroyed the giant Budha statues. And who massacred about 70 tourists at Luxor some years back? militant atheists perhaps....

I'm not excusing bad behavior no matter what the cause.

I simply don't think selling or renting the rights to the pyramids is in any way bad behavior. More

than anything though they'll need political stability to get tourism back so I personally doubt they

can even find a buyer at this point in time due to the huge risk.

My point is merely that the Bible says quite wisely that those without sin should cast the first stone

and that those who live in glass houses are unwise to throw stones. I've no doubt the Koran has

similar passages. These things go double when it is we ourselves who invented waste and the in-

ability of people who work hard to earn a decent living and for many to lack work at all.

It is evil to destroy and this applies to almost all of God's and man's creations. It is destruction that

has led, at least indirectly, to the tribulations in Egypt. In the improbable event that they destroyed

the pyramids it woiuld not only be an evil and a divorce from their own past and present but it would

also be a sort of shooting oneself in the foot. They simultaneously would show the world that they

don't want tourism, cash flow, or even knowledge of themselves but that Egypt is a very dangerous

place run by zealots and those who want to hide from the rest of the world. They'll be left to feed count-

less millions with only what they have at hand. It's really not relevant here what they did in these ot-

her places because Egypt isn't like Afghanistan. It's extremely unlikely they'd desire to leave the world

stage and being among the decision makers. Egypt can have far more effect as a modern country than

Afghanistan could have dreamed to when it was taken over by zealots. Much of their GNP was derived

from the manufacture of mostly illegal drugs. Their entire country was in shambles when when the Tal-

iban took it over. Few people had any interest or ability to affect the outcome. These things simply

don't apply to Egypt.

I believe (and pray) they will come out of this with a stable modern governmment and remain an important

voice in the world. I don't know what this will look like and at this point, Egypt doesn't know either.

• Like 1

it's only stone? what a load of rubbish

I believe (and pray) they will come out of this with a stable modern governmment and remain an important

voice in the world. I don't know what this will look like and at this point, Egypt doesn't know either.

Normally, the desire for stabilty and abilty to aquire money overcomes any religious zealotry. But we can see that much damage can be done before the religious hysterics are put back in their box. Examples are the ikonoclasts in Constantinople, the mania for destruction during the reformation in Northern Europe and it's continuation well into the 17th century. This, to me, seems to be a specificaly religious phenomena. For instance, while there was a great deal of bloodshed in revolutionary France during the Terror, there was no significant destruction of their own cultural heritage, as this was an political revolution, not a religious one. During, and in aftermath of Russian Revolution there was great bloodshed, but very little damage done that was not as a consequence of fighting. The great medieval churches and monasteries were generaly left undamaged. It was the new ones that were destroyed, like Christ the Saviour in Moscow, only about 50 years old at time of destruction. So, you see that political revolutions, at least in Europe, generally leave buildings and other artifacts alone, but religious revolutions, because they do the "will of god" see it as an article of faith to destroy the old. You may dispute my analysis (word of the week on this forum?), but I know that generaly, history proves me correct. Religion is from our irational side, politics from the rational. Both have a tendency to kill on industrial scale, but I believe the religious is more dangerous to culture and the past. The revolution in Egypt began as a political one, it has now been hijacked by the religious. A kalaidescope has been shaken and we wait to see what pattern will emerge, perhaps after a counter - counter revolution.......

• Like 1

Normally, the desire for stabilty and abilty to aquire money overcomes any religious zealotry. But we can see that much damage can be done before the religious hysterics are put back in their box. Examples are the ikonoclasts in Constantinople, the mania for destruction during the reformation in Northern Europe and it's continuation well into the 17th century. This, to me, seems to be a specificaly religious phenomena. For instance, while there was a great deal of bloodshed in revolutionary France during the Terror, there was no significant destruction of their own cultural heritage, as this was an political revolution, not a religious one. During, and in aftermath of Russian Revolution there was great bloodshed, but very little damage done that was not as a consequence of fighting. The great medieval churches and monasteries were generaly left undamaged. It was the new ones that were destroyed, like Christ the Saviour in Moscow, only about 50 years old at time of destruction. So, you see that political revolutions, at least in Europe, generally leave buildings and other artifacts alone, but religious revolutions, because they do the "will of god" see it as an article of faith to destroy the old. You may dispute my analysis (word of the week on this forum?), but I know that generaly, history proves me correct. Religion is from our irational side, politics from the rational. Both have a tendency to kill on industrial scale, but I believe the religious is more dangerous to culture and the past. The revolution in Egypt began as a political one, it has now been hijacked by the religious. A kalaidescope has been shaken and we wait to see what pattern will emerge, perhaps after a counter - counter revolution.......

I'm in even closer agreement now.

But I don't want anyone to think I'm passing judgement on any specific religion or on religion

in general. I define "religion" very broadly and see even merchantilism and greed coming to have

aspects of religion. It is a religion founded on the concept that there is no need to create wealth

through production or improving the lot of man but that it is well and good to acquire wealth through

destruction of economies and man. Science has become the world's leading religion and offers

nothing as people pray at the altar of technology. Any overriding belief can become a religion based

on the very definition of religion and most religions have a destructive side. Anything I say about

Egypt can be taken as a condemnation or expression of distrust of the leading religion and I doubt

that it is necessarily destructive. It's unwise to burn bridges behind you but more unwise to burn

them before they are even crossed. Essentially, I just want what is best for all Egyptians. What's

best for all Egyptians will probably be best for the world and the future.

It would be great to see an Egypt where everyone is accepted and each person recieves fair wages

for his best efforts; a place where all are allowed to contribute his best without regard to accidents

of birth or things beyond his control. A place where all are free to express themselves without fear

of reprisal. But no country has even come close to achieving such goals. We waste human effort

and human lives as some grow wealthy through greed and destruction. Some are born to lead and

some to subsist. It's unfair to hold Egyptians to some standard to which we fall far short.

I must align myself with those seeking these goals no matter what name they take. But, it's important

as an outsider to remain outside while those on the inside have not yet established anything perma-

nent. As I said before, I hope it works out for the best. I hope it's something good for Egypt.

I wouldn't sell or or rent it to no other country or international firm no matter what.dude those are your most valuable and precious pieces of historical artifacts and monuments.I love those pyramids I know they are rich in history and connect Egypt to its past roots and etc.I say don't do it.do you really trust some other country or international firm with them???

Welcome to Mummy Land! The world's sandiest tourist attraction!

As a special offer:

With each visit to Mummy Land, you get a free mummy and a pyramid piece. So you can be the envy of your friends and show everyone you've been here!

[Disclamier: Not all mummies are guaranteed to be fresh and may give off a stench, crumble to pieces, be infested with bugs, or worse, come alive and kill you. We will not be held responsible or liable for cursed mummies, since we don't know which ones are cursed. Take one at your on risk!]

• Like 3

[Disclamier: Not all mummies are guaranteed to be fresh and may give off a stench, crumble to pieces, be infested with bugs, or worse, come alive and kill you. We will not be held responsible or liable for cursed mummies, since we don't know which ones are cursed. Take one at your on risk!]

Absolutely, and I am cursed by the way, and have bugs in my empty head, so don't buy me. Perhaps buy one of my sisters, or if you like, perhaps my brother. Hmm, well, anyway, he is very badly accursed. Oh, so you'll take him eh, well, no pounds, only $. Thank you, have a nice day, if you live to see nightfall......

Absolutely, and I am cursed by the way, and have bugs in my empty head, so don't buy me. Perhaps buy one of my sisters, or if you like, perhaps my brother. Hmm, well, anyway, he is very badly accursed. Oh, so you'll take him eh, well, no pounds, only $. Thank you, have a nice day, if you live to see nightfall......

two hunnred bucks for every tourist you bring me, brains intact, heheheheheh

• Like 1

two hunnred bucks for every tourist you bring me, brains intact, heheheheheh

And blood! blood is needed for the ancient withered veins, for we are eaa07355cfe3.gif

• Like 1

You could always pay the lease and rent it out night by night to wannabe Aleister Crowleys and get a night in the stone sarcophagus...might make a lot of cash!

Just kidding!

All things considered, prob not a great idea...BUT...I would rather see them lease it to a research team than let the religious zealots destroy them. If the incoming rent would be a cause to protect them...so be it.