Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Life after death- What’s the evidence?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,899 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

The idea of immortality lives on in messages from beyond the grave and near-death experiences. What's the evidence?

http://www.aeonmagaz...fe-after-death/

Posted Image

#2    thyra

thyra

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

There is studies of Raymond Moody on near death experiences.

Posted Image

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,329 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

There is  no evidence, just anecdotes.

#4    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostRyu, on 14 November 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

There is  no evidence, just anecdotes.
Then compelling witnesses testimony in courtrooms is just "anecdotes" and cannot be used to reach a verdict.

From an early age, James would play with nothing else but planes, his parents say. But when he was 2, they said the planes their son loved began to give him regular nightmares.
"I'd wake him up and he'd be screaming," Andrea told "Primetime Live" co-anchor Chris Cuomo. She said when she asked her son what he was dreaming about, he would say, "Airplane crash on fire, little man can't get out."...

...But as time went by, Andrea began to wonder what to believe. In one video of James at age 3, he goes over a plane as if he's doing a preflight check.
Another time, Andrea said, she bought him a toy plane, and pointed out what appeared to be a bomb on its underside. She says James corrected her, and told her it was a drop tank. "I'd never heard of a drop tank," she said. "I didn't know what a drop tank was."...

...Over time, James' parents say he revealed extraordinary details about the life of a former fighter pilot — mostly at bedtime, when he was drowsy.
They say James told them his plane had been hit by the Japanese and crashed. Andrea says James told his father he flew a Corsair, and then told her, "They used to get flat tires all the time."
In fact, historians and pilots agree that the plane's tires took a lot of punishment on landing. But that's a fact that could easily be found in books or on television.
Andrea says James also told his father the name of the boat he took off from — Natoma — and the name of someone he flew with — Jack Larson.
After some research, Bruce discovered both the Natoma and Jack Larson were real. The Natoma Bay was a small aircraft carrier in the Pacific. And Larson is living in Arkansas.
"It was like, holy mackerel," Bruce said. "You could have poured my brains out of my ears. I just couldn't believe it. http://abcnews.go.co...d=894217&page=1

Edited by SSilhouette, 14 November 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#5    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostSSilhouette, on 14 November 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Then compelling witnesses testimony in courtrooms is just "anecdotes" and cannot be used to reach a verdict.
Andrea says this...Andrea says that...heresay all of it.
The Truth:  no one knows because no one who has ever been 'dead' has ever come back to life.  Near Death Experiences are just that  Near Death.  Not Death...because Death is the absence of Life and if there is Death there is no Life.  No Life equals...we don't/can't know.
But...our fascination with death is such...we just must know...even if we don't we 'believe' something...well some of us...some of us don't.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#6    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,028 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Eye witness testimony is notoriously unreliable.

Eyewitness Testimony

Innocence Project

There is no scientific evidence of life after death.  NONE.

Scientific evidence

There are anecdotes that some individuals accept as evidence.  There are "tests" and "studies" that have been proven skewed or flawed that some accept as evidence.

There is no reliable, testable, repeatable or peer-reviewable evidence for life after death.

Pretty straight forward.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#7    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 14 November 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Eye witness testimony is notoriously unreliable.

Courts of law throughout the US will be very disappointed to hear that.  People are sentenced to years behind bars or to death even at just eyewitness accounts.  The meat of that boy's story shouldn't be for you to say "eye witness testimony is notoriously unreliable."  What you should take away from that account is "wow, how did that kid know at a tiny age, all the nuances of the Natoma Bay aircraft carrier and Jack Larson?  These were things that had to be pulled out of dusty tomes to be found while a child knew all about them.

#8    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,028 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostSSilhouette, on 14 November 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

Courts of law throughout the US will be very disappointed to hear that.  People are sentenced to years behind bars or to death even at just eyewitness accounts.  The meat of that boy's story shouldn't be for you to say "eye witness testimony is notoriously unreliable."  What you should take away from that account is "wow, how did that kid know at a tiny age, all the nuances of the Natoma Bay aircraft carrier and Jack Larson?  These were things that had to be pulled out of dusty tomes to be found while a child knew all about them.

Yeah, read my links.  US courts of law are sorry they used eyewitness testimony all the time.

What I take away from the account is a mom who wants attention.  Not to mention there is NO supporting evidence to her story.  It's just that.  A story.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#9    The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

I fear death and I want there to be an afterlife.
But I don't think there is an evidence.
Sadly.

#10    NightGoat

NightGoat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

In all honesty, would knowing for a fact change the way you live?
I imagine for some people It would. Those who otherwise may not, may just decide "Yeah, this life so boring, on to the next..." and simply check out, more often than people do now.

#11    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,329 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

Like I said, if there is no concrete evidence to corroborate the claims then, no.

#12    OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

View Postjoc, on 14 November 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

Andrea says this...Andrea says that...heresay all of it.
If Andrea is relaying personal testimony it is not hearsay. Hearsay is a secondhand story.

#13    OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostRyu, on 15 November 2013 - 01:39 AM, said:

Like I said, if there is no concrete evidence to corroborate the claims then, no.
There are different forms of evidence and "concrete evidence" is not one of them. Testimony is a form of evidence.

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

There is vast abundance of evidence that testimony is unreliable and more often wrong than right.  Only under cross-examination can testimony on the most mundane of things be tolerated.  Anything the least outre and it is useless.

#15    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostOrdinaryClay, on 15 November 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

If Andrea is relaying personal testimony it is not hearsay. Hearsay is a secondhand story.
What?  Andrea is telling someone what someone else said...please!

Okay, let me make this really simple for you...Do you know anyone who has died and then come back to life?  No, you don't...because if they were dead...they would still be dead.  End of story.

Edited by joc, 15 November 2013 - 03:49 AM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users