Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exorcism of Emily Rose

sub_x0ne

I'm sure some of you have seen the trailer to the movie The Exorcism of Emily Rose and if you haven't, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_picture...ismofemilyrose/

I know there have been topics on Emily Rose before but this one is more about the movie The movie that is coming out is based on the true story of Emily Rose. When a movie says it's "based on a true story", how much of the story is it actually based on? The movie the Exorcist was also based on a true story but I think that alot of what happened was exaggerated. I know that movie studios do this so it will be more appealing to the audience, but does it actually take away from the truth of the story? Do any of you think this movie will over exaggerate what actually happened?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Purgitori

• FrMerrin

• sub_x0ne

• Elysiumfire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

porbably alot ya know but i heard that the tape they play on the trailer is the actual tape of the exorcism it gives me chills everytime i hear it. The exorcist was changed alot the child in posession was actually a boy. They have another movie I think it was called "the posession" or "posessed" it was more along the real story.

I think the exorcism of emily rose will be good wether they stick to the facts or not though.

I remember seeing the original Exocist as a kid and how it scared the living sh** out of me.

I'm sure some of you have seen the trailer to the movie The Exorcism of Emily Rose and if you haven't, here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_picture...ismofemilyrose/

I know there have been topics on Emily Rose before but this one is more about the movie  The movie that is coming out is based on the true story of Emily Rose.  When a movie says it's "based on a true story", how much of the story is it actually based on?  The movie the Exorcist was also based on a true story but I think that alot of what happened was exaggerated.  I know that movie studios do this so it will be more appealing to the audience, but does it actually take away from the truth of the story?  Do any of you think this movie will over exaggerate what actually happened?

793468[/snapback]

I will have to see it, to see if it was exaggerated. Peter Blatty's Exorcist was exaggerated to certain degree's. First off, for security and confidentiality reasons it was not a little girl in Washington D.C, but a 13 year old boy in Missouri, who today is now an airliner pilot from my last check. The video tapes and audio tapes are still recorded while he stayed at the psychiatric ward. Although I heard they are very compelling pieces of evidence, I haven't seen or heard the audio tapes.

Exaggerated or not, I can't wait to watch it. I love watching things like that grin2.gif

Exaggerated or not, I can't wait to watch it. I love watching things like that grin2.gif

793799[/snapback]

I second that! And yea those tapes in the commercial are supposed to be real and freak me out too grin2.gif

Interesting movie.

793799[/snapback]

I second that! And yea those tapes in the commercial are supposed to be real and freak me out too grin2.gif

793873[/snapback]

I third that! The scarier the better LOL original.gif

Emily Rose: The real Story of Anneliese Michel's Exorcism

It all began about 1968, when Anneliese (a very religious nurtured girl, who was born on the 21st of September 1952) has an insult. Paralysed and shaking she can’t call her 3 sisters, or her parents (Josef and Anna) for help. A Neurologist at the Psychiatric Clinic Würzburg diagnosed Epilepsy Type "Grand Mal". Depressions, often occurring after those Epilepsy Attacks, have not been recognized.

After a long stay at the Hospital, she begins to see devilish grimaces during her daily praying. In the fall of 1970 Anneliese returned to school, and while other girls live the freedom of the 70s, she starts believing to be possessed. She can’t find another reason for the grimaces. Now also voices are following her, saying that Anneliese will "stew in hell". The Depressions get stronger and stronger and Anneliese doesn’t see any reason for the meetings at the Doctors, because they don’t bring a relief. Just once, does she tell a Doctor about the "Demons", which even give orders to her now. But the gap between known Medicine and Catholic Ideology is too big, to get her problems considered.

In the summer of 1973 her parents ask different Pastors for an Exorcism. The Catholic Chaplains reject and recommend, to continue the medication on the now 20 year old Anneliese. The proof for a possession (Infestatio) is strictly structured, and before not all criterions are fulfilled, the Bishop can’t approve an Exorcism. Aversions against religious objects, speaking in languages the person never learned and supernatural powers, are just some of them.

Pastor Ernst Alt, supervising Anneliese at that time, asked the Bishop of Würzburg for the Permit to perform an Exorcism on Anneliese Michel in 1974. His request was also rejected, so he recommends Anneliese an even more religious Lifestyle. But the attacks don’t disappear. At her parents house in Klingenberg, she insults, beats, bites the family members. She doesn’t eat, because the demons don’t allow her to. Anneliese sleeps at the stone floor, eats Spiders, Flies and Coal. She even drinks her own Urine. For hours, she yells thru the house. Anneliese breaks Crucifixes, destroys paintings of Jesus and demolishes Rosaries. Running thru the house, tearing the clothes from her body and urinating on the floor is nothing unusual anymore. She even commits self-mutilation.

In September 1975, after an exact Verification, the Bishop of Würzburg, Josef Stangl, assigns Father Arnold Renz and Pastor Ernst Alt with the order, to perform "The Great Exorcism" on Anneliese Michel. The basis for this ritual is the "Rituale Romanum", a still valid Canon Law from the 17th century. Pastor Alt and Father Renz try to save Anneliese from, in the meantime over 6 individuals (Lucifer, Judas Iscariot, Nero, Cain, Hitler and Fleischmann, a disgraced Frankish Priest from the 16th century, and some other "Damned"), which manifested thru her. From September ’75 till July ’76, 1 to 2 sessions a week were held. Sometimes her attacks were so strong, that she had to be hold down by 3 men, or they had to chain her up. Between those sessions in her parent’s house, Anneliese has some time without any attacks, in which she goes to school, makes her final examinations at the Pedagogic Academy in Würzburg and goes to church. Just like she used to live before.

But the attacks didn’t stop. The young woman gets unconscious and paralyzed more often. The Exorcism continues over weeks and months. Always praying the same specified prayers and incantations, over and over again. Sometimes the parents are present, or her sisters. Even a married couple, that claims of having "discovered" Anneliese. Over several weeks, she denies every food. Her knees are burst, because of the 600 Genuflections she does obsessive during the Exorcisms. During the Exorcism there were over 40 audio tapes recorded, to log the possession.

The last day of the Exorcism Rite is the 30th of June 1976. Anneliese is now also suffering from a Pneumonia, totally emaciated and having high temperature. But she can’t waive doing the Genuflections. Her parents even help her doing them. "Beg for Absolution.", is the last sentence Anneliese says to the Exorcists. To her mother she says: "Mother, I’m afraid.". Anna Michel recorded the death of her daughter on the next day, the 1st of July 1976. At Noon, Pastor Ernst Alt informs the prosecuting authorities in Aschaffenburg. The Senior Prosecutor began investigating.

Short time before these events, William Friedkin’s "The Exorcist" came to the cinemas in Germany (1974), and started a paranormal Hysteria all over the land. Psychiatrist all over Europe, reported of an increase of obsessive ideas at their patients. For the Prosecutors, the factual situation is more than bizarre. And it took almost 2 years, until the "Klingenberg Case" was brought to court. Anneliese’s parents and the 2 Exorcists were accused of negligent homicide. There were only 2 questions to answer. What caused the death of Anneliese Michel, and who was responsible ?

The cause of death, as diagnosed by the Forensics: "Anneliese starved to death" ! If the Accused would have begun with forced feed, one week before her dead, Anneliese’s live could have been saved. Her sister told in front of the court, that Anneliese didn’t want to go to a Mental House, sedated and forced to eat. The Exorcists tried to prove the presence of the demons, by playing the tapes they recorded. There were such strange dialogues, like 2 of the demons arguing , who of them has to leave Anneliese’s body first. The demon, that called himself Hitler, talked with Frankish Accent (Hitler was born Austrian). None of those present during the Exorcisms, never had a doubt, that this weren’t demons.

The Psychiatrists, which have been ordered by the court, talked about "Doctrinaire Induction". Saying, that the Priests have offered Anneliese the contents of her psychotic behaviour. Consequentially she later accepted the behaviour of a, from a demon possessed person. Also an unsettled sexual development, along with the diagnosed Temporal Lobe Epilepsy influenced Anneliese’s Psychosis.

The judgement was, although the parents and the chaplains were adjudged guilty, not as hard as expected. All of the accused were sentenced to 6 months jail on probation, because of manslaughter resulting from negligence and omitted First Aid. The accused should have helped by taking care of the medical treatment the girl needed. But instead of doing so they aggravated the bad constitution, by using naïve Practices.

A Commission of the German Bishop-Conference later declared, that Anneliese Michel was not possessed. Anneliese’s body didn’t even find peace after the girl’s death. Because of some believe in miracles, it was said that her body doesn’t decay, her corpse gets exhumed 11/2 year after the burial. With the final result, that the body decays, as every other dead body. Till now her grave is a place of pilgrimage, for Rosary-praying pilgrims, who still think, that Anneliese Michel has defeated the Devil.

In 1999 Cardinal Medina Estévez presented Journalists, in Vatican-City, the new Version of the "Rituale Romanum" that was used by the Catholic Church since 1614. He presented them "De exorcismis et supplicationibus quibusdam" better know as "The Exorcism for the upcoming Millennium". After more then 10 years of editing, the Pope approbated the new Exorcism Rite, which is now allowed for worldwide usage. The change was initiated by the death of Anneliese Michel. The German Bishop-Conference demanded to ultimately abolish the "Rituale Romanum". The Vatican answered in his own way, with a new form of Exorcism. More then 20 years after Anneliese Michel died.

I want to read the story but I don't want it to ruin the movie for me. O_o

Very interesting indeed. But I hear that if a demon still posses you after death that you'll go to hell. sad.gif

801019[/snapback]

hmmm....I'm not sure about that...because her possession wasn't voluntary..therefor it's not like she wanted to be possessed so I wouldn't think that would be the case...that's just My opinion though...I could understand if she was a satan worshipper...which just a little fyi is completely different from a satanist...then should would probably go to hell for that very reason..but the point is that she wasn't...she was actually very God fearing

Purgitori

Very interesting indeed. But I hear that if a demon still posses you after death that you'll go to hell. sad.gif

801019[/snapback]

hmmm....I'm not sure about that...because her possession wasn't voluntary..therefor it's not like she wanted to be possessed so I wouldn't think that would be the case...that's just My opinion though...I could understand if she was a satan worshipper...which just a little fyi is completely different from a satanist...then should would probably go to hell for that very reason..but the point is that she wasn't...she was actually very God fearing

Purgitori

801208[/snapback]

From what I've read & what I understand is that there are many things a person can do to make it easier for demons to possess you. Some of the thing include smaoking, drinking, drugs, and while you're sleeping. It kind of makes sence to me. People even sometimes take advantage of others during these times. It would be pretty easy to play a trick or take advantage of a drunk person, compared to someone that sober. Perhaps the statement is true because a person might have lived a sinful enough life that they got possessed. I don't know. Just a thought.

Then again, God is forgiving! I don't think that he'd automatically send someone to Hell. Everyone has to be (and will be) judged. It's obvious to me that at that time a decision is made.

801019[/snapback]

Purgitori

801208[/snapback]

From what I've read & what I understand is that there are many things a person can do to make it easier for demons to possess you. Some of the thing include smaoking, drinking, drugs, and while you're sleeping. It kind of makes sence to me. People even sometimes take advantage of others during these times. It would be pretty easy to play a trick or take advantage of a drunk person, compared to someone that sober. Perhaps the statement is true because a person might have lived a sinful enough life that they got possessed. I don't know. Just a thought.

Then again, God is forgiving! I don't think that he'd automatically send someone to Hell. Everyone has to be (and will be) judged. It's obvious to me that at that time a decision is made.

801310[/snapback]

ok...let's get something perfectly clear...smoking,drinking,etc...doesn't make it easier for a demon to possess you....where you got that I have NO idea...unless you're a certain type of religion...which wouldn't surprise Me that they were teaching bs like that in the first place....Let Me ask you this...since you think sleeping "helps along the possession" process...would you stop sleeping?....that's just ridiculous....granted there are demons that come to you while you sleep...but not to necessarily possess you...they are called incubus or succubus...incubus are male demons that have sexual intercourse with females...a sort or "rape"..and succubus are female demons that do the same they "rape" men in their sleep...granted there are things that make you less of a "christian"...yes...but alas...do you remember in the bible when Jesus turned the water into wine...so..why then would Jesus encourage people drinking if that was the case?...might want to read up a bit more

Purgitori

ok, this is more from the first few posts about the exorcism.. sorry i didn't read the others... But on the radio station my brother listens to, they played the WHOLE thing. He didn't realize he what he was hearing until mid-way through and he was freaked out! -Sorry just had to say that... tongue.gif

OH and also, I think that the movie will PROBABLY be based on as much of the real story as it can be... y'know? Anyways... yeah. I'm outt!

Why are people more likely to believe in demons than mental illness?

Still, looks like a good movie. I love watching these sorts of films.

I think he meant to the point of it being a sin. Yeah Jesus turned water to wine, and the Bible talks about drinking wine a lot. It also say that drinking to the point of becoming drunk is a sin. Jesus did not encourage drinking (becoming drunk), wine is just what people had with their meals back then. It's not like today where most people drink to get drunk, which is a sin, and yeah, sin can make it easier for possession. But no one should think they will get possessed for that 1 beer they drank last night. tongue.gifalien.gif

I think he meant to the point of it being a sin. Yeah Jesus turned water to wine, and the Bible talks about drinking wine a lot. It also say that drinking to the point of becoming drunk is a sin. Jesus did not encourage drinking (becoming drunk), wine is just what people had with their meals back then. It's not like today where most people drink to get drunk, which is a sin, and yeah, sin can make it easier for possession. But no one should think they will get possessed for that 1 beer they drank last night.    tongue.gif  alien.gif

806343[/snapback]

I agree with the fact that "sin can make it easier for possession"...but I don't agree with the "getting drunk" is going to get you possessed by a demon...there's more factor's involved all around for a person to be possessed...I realize that not many people have encountered someone who has been possessed by a demon..I,Myself, can say that I have...and still have a scar from that night....it's not something that words can even explain what happens or what you see...but unlike most people I didn't freak out....it was something that needed to be dealt with and was dealt with..but not in an excorcism manner...not that paticular one anyway...I've seen alot of things in My life and that was definitely the most interesting that I've probably ever dealt with...and it's not something that I talk about that often if at all....I truly believe that skeptics tend to rule the world and speaking about it just tends to get into an argument with most people that wouldn't even dream of believing in something of that nature...it's amazing how many people don't believe that "evil" is very much alive in our world...how they can't see it is totally beyond Me....but as I said before..that's not the only thing I've seen/dealt in that type of nature...I've also been in a situation where a house was excorcised...another interesting story....I've heard quite a few people say that it's hard to find a full excorcism rite/ritual...*whichever you prefer to say*...believe it or not...I have an original full excorcism rite that I just happened across one day...it's very interesting to read...it's all in latin..which is hard to understand if you don't know latin...but none the less...it's a very interesting read as to what they go through during an excorcism...anyway...just a quick ramble

Purgitori

I have just come across the film about 'Emily Rose' that is soon to be released. I feel that the film will leave it up to the viewer to decide whether or not Emily (Annelise) was suffering deep psychoses, or whether or not she was actually possessed.

In the traditional sense (huh? traditional!) possession is not possession unless it is accompanied with so-called 'supernatural' events. The Church recognised at an early stage that a investigation would always be required to determine the strength of veracity for the acceptance that a person was/is possessed by an invading spirit. The reason for this is a very subtle subterfuge on the part of the Church.

The real concern regarding possession is not that it alludes to the fight between 'good' and 'evil' (there is no 'fight' between the opposites, for if good is fighting, it is by such combat 'harming' and that denys the essence of good) for the ownership of a person's soul or spirit, but the 'effect' it has not only upon the so-called possessed, but upon those whom witness it. For possession is about the denying and the rape of 'humanity' (which is the seed of the soul), the essential essence or quality of being 'human' and not animalistic, base or savage.

The term 'evil' can only pertain to the act of 'denying' humanity, or the evolution toward humanity. Thus, taking a person's life is considered an evil act, because it denys a person the future opportunity to gain or increase their humanity. Humanity is the process of learning to 'love' unconditionally others whom enter into the sphere of your life, and by the same process, you cannot deny the opportunity of someone considered to be evil to learn and gain humanity through rehabilitation. This is one reason why I do not support capital punishment (death penalty). For many, this is an understandable obstacle to righteous justice, afterall, a killer should be killed, but in the spiritual sense, or moral spiritual law, man does not have the 'right' to judge a person in this way. Our courts, however, do judge, they do arbitrate (in many countries) capital punishment, thus ensuring the cycle of evil continues. Two evil acts cannot make a right act, no matter how deep the sense of righteousness. I realise that very few of you would accept this point of view, but that's okay!

The possessing spirit or demon is considered evil, but does the spirit or the demon consider itself so? I think not, it is acting on its natural dictates, and thus to be 'evil' one must fully understand and be totally aware that one is denying another their humanity, thus, 'evilness' is holding the knowledge of 'goodness' but denying it to oneself and to others. If the invading spirit is doing this, then it is evil.

My general thought concerning Emily Rose is that she was not possessed, but was deeply psychotic, and under deep religious self-torment, but this is only an early assumption as I need to research her story fully before I can make up my mind. Is there such a condition of being truly possessed? This I cannot answer, not even to my self, but considering the behaviour of many people around the world, it is evident that currently, this world is spinning through a cloud of moral bankruptcy. Evil spirits and demons are not required.

Regards all

Elysiumfire

I've heard quite a few people say that it's hard to find a full excorcism rite/ritual...*whichever you prefer to say*...believe it or not...I have an original full excorcism rite that I just happened across one day...it's very interesting to read...it's all in latin..which is hard to understand if you don't know latin...but none the less...it's a very interesting read as to what they go through during an excorcism...

806550[/snapback]

"Pope Paul V by a Bull of June 16, 1614, published the official Roman Ritual for the universal Church, to which model all diocesan rituals were thenceforth to conform. But in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the abuse was revived, particularly through the religious orders, who printed private collections of blessings and especially exorcisms with prayers and formulas of such a nature as to outdo even the superstitions of the late Middle Ages.

The first book of the Holy Bible recounts the seduction of Adam and Eve by the Prince of Darkness; but it is to the last book that we must go for his origin. "Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels had to fight the dragon; the dragon fought, and so did his angels. But they were defeated, and a place was no longer found for them in heaven. That huge dragon, the ancient serpent, was hurled down, he who is called the devil and Satan, he who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled down to death, and his angels were hurled down with him."

Christ our Lord overcame Satan on the cross, and ever since the latter's empire is shaken. Man is delivered from the power of darkness and transferred to the kingdom of the Son. Yet the devil is not completely vanquished or trodden underfoot once for all, and the warfare against him is carried out by Christ and His Church until the end of time. Therefore, St. Paul is prompted to admonish us: "Put on all the armor that God has forged, that you may be able to make a stand against the devil's cunning tricks. Our wrestling is not against weak human nature, but against the Principalities and the Powers, against those that rule the world of darkness, the wicked spirits that belong to an order higher than ours.... With all this take up the shield of faith, with which you will be enabled to put out all the flaming arrows of the wicked enemy." (Eph 6.12-16.)"

Philip T. Weller, S.T.D.

Anyhow..

ROMAN RITUAL PART XIII. EXORCISM

CHAPTER I: GENERAL RULES CONCERNING EXORCISM

1. A priest--one who is expressly and particularly authorized by

the Ordinary--when he intends to perform an exorcism over persons

tormented by the devil, must be properly distinguished for his

piety, prudence, and integrity of life. He should fulfill this

devout undertaking in all constancy and humility, being utterly

immune to any striving for human aggrandizement, and relying, not

on his own, but on the divine power. Moreover, he ought to be of

mature years, and revered not alone for his office but for his

moral qualities.

2. In order to exercise his ministry rightly, he should resort to

a great deal more study of the matter (which has to be passed

over here for the sake of brevity), by examining approved authors

and cases from experience; on the other hand, let him carefully

observe the few more important points enumerated here.

3. Especially, he should not believe too readily that a person is

possessed by an evil spirit; but he ought to ascertain the signs

by which a person possessed can be distinguished from one who is

suffering from some illness, especially one of a psychological

nature.[1] Signs of possession may be the following: ability to

speak with some facility in a strange tongue or to understand it

when spoken by another; the faculty of divulging future and

hidden events; display of powers which are beyond the subject's

age and natural condition; and various other indications which,

when taken together as a whole, build up the evidence.

4. In order to understand these matters better, let him inquire

of the person possessed, following one or the other act of

exorcism, what the latter experienced in his body or soul while

the exorcism was being performed, and to learn also what

particular words in the form had a more intimidating effect upon

the devil, so that hereafter these words may be employed with

greater stress and frequency.

5. He will be on his guard against the arts and subterfuges

which the evil spirits are wont to use in deceiving the

exorcist. For oft times they give deceptive answers and make it

difficult to understand them, so that the exorcist might tire

and give up, or so it might appear that the afflicted one is in

no wise possessed by the devil.

6. Once in a while, after they are already recognized, they

conceal themselves and leave the body practically free from

every molestation, so that the victim believes himself

completely delivered. Yet the exorcist may not desist until he

sees the signs of deliverance.

7. At times, moreover, the evil spirits place whatever obstacles

they can in the way, so that the patient may not submit to

exorcism, or they try to convince him that his affliction is a

natural one. Meanwhile, during the exorcism, they cause him to

fall asleep, and dangle some illusion before him, while they

seclude themselves, so that the afflicted one appears to be

freed.

8. Some reveal a crime which has been committed and the

perpetrators thereof, as well as the means of putting an end to

it. Yet the afflicted person must beware of having recourse on

this account to sorcerers or necromancers or to any parties

except the ministers of the Church, or of making use of any

superstitious or forbidden practice.

9. Sometimes the devil will leave the possessed person in peace

and even allow him to receive the holy Eucharist, to make it

appear that he has departed. In fact, the arts and frauds of the

evil one for deceiving a man are innumerable. For this reason

the exorcist must be on his guard not to fall into this trap.

10. Therefore, he will be mindful of the words of our Lord (Mt

17.20), to the effect that there is a certain type of evil

spirit who cannot be driven out except by prayer and fasting.

Therefore let him avail himself of these two means above all for

imploring the divine assistance in expelling demons, after the

example of the holy fathers; and not only himself, but let him

induce others, as far as possible, to do the same.

11. If it can be done conveniently the possessed person should

be led to church or to some other sacred and worthy place, where

the exorcism will be held, away from the crowd. But if the

person is ill, or for any valid reason, the exorcism may take

place in a private home.

12. The subject, if in good mental and physical health, should

be exhorted to implore God's help, to fast, and to fortify

himself by frequent reception of penance and holy communion, at

the discretion of the priest. And in the course of the exorcism

he should be fully recollected, with his intention fixed on God,

whom he should entreat with firm faith and in all humility. And

if he is all the more grievously tormented, he ought to bear

this patiently, never doubting the divine assistance.

13. He ought to have a crucifix at hand or somewhere in sight.

If relics of the saints are available, they are to be applied in

a reverent way to the breast or the head of the person possessed

(the relics must be properly and securely encased and covered).

One will see to it that these sacred objects are not treated

improperly or that no injury is done them by the evil spirit.

However, one should not hold the holy Eucharist over the head of

the person or in any way apply it to his body, owing to the

danger of desecration.

14. The exorcist must not digress into senseless prattle nor ask

superfluous questions or such as are prompted by curiosity,

particularly if they pertain to future and hidden matters, all

of which have nothing to do with his office. Instead, he will

bid the unclean spirit keep silence and answer only when asked.

Neither ought he to give any credence to the devil if the latter

maintains that he is the spirit of some saint or of a deceased

party, or even claims to be a good angel.

15. But necessary questions are, for example: the number and

name of the spirits inhabiting the patient, the time when they

entered into him, the cause thereof, and the like. As for all

jesting, laughing, and nonsense on the part of the evil spirit--

the exorcist should prevent it or contemn it, and he will exhort

the bystanders (whose number must be very limited) to pay no

attention to such goings on; neither are they to put any

question to the subject. Rather they should intercede for him to

God in all humility and urgency.

16. Let the priest pronounce the exorcism in a commanding and

authoritative voice, and at the same time with great confidence,

humility, and fervor; and when he sees that the spirit is sorely

vexed, then he oppresses and threatens all the more. If he

notices that the person afflicted is experiencing a disturbance

in some part of his body or an acute pain or a swelling appears

in some part, he traces the sign of the cross over that place

and sprinkles it with holy water, which he must have at hand for

this purpose.

17. He will pay attention as to what words in particular cause

the evil spirits to tremble, repeating them the more frequently.

And when he comes to a threatening expression, he recurs to it

again and again, always increasing the punishment. If he

perceives that he is making progress, let him persist for two,

three, four hours, and longer if he can, until victory is

attained.

18. The exorcist should guard against giving or recommending any

medicine to the patient, but should leave this care to

physicians.

19. While performing the exorcism over a woman, he ought always

to have assisting him several women of good repute, who will hold

on to the person when she is harassed by the evil spirit. These

assistants ought if possible to be close relatives of the subject

and for the sake of decency the exorcist will avoid saying or

doing anything which might prove an occasion of evil thoughts to

himself or to the others.

20. During the exorcism he shall preferably employ words from

Holy Writ, rather than forms of his own or of someone else. He

shall, moreover, command the devil to tell whether he is detained

in that body by necromancy, by evil signs or amulets; and if the

one possessed has taken the latter by mouth, he should be made to

vomit them; if he has them concealed on his person, he should

expose them; and when discovered they must be burned. Moreover,

the person should be exhorted to reveal all his temptations to

the exorcist.

21. Finally, after the possessed one has been freed, let him be

admonished to guard himself carefully against falling into sin,

so as to afford no opportunity to the evil spirit of returning,

lest the last state of that man become worse than the former.

CHAPTER II: RITE FOR EXORCISM

1. The priest delegated by the Ordinary to perform this office

should first go to confession or at least elicit an act of

contrition, and, if convenient, offer the holy Sacrifice of the

Mass, and implore God's help in other fervent prayers. He vests

in surplice and purple stole. Having before him the person

possessed (who should be bound if there is any danger), he traces

the sign of the cross over him, over himself, and the bystanders,

and then sprinkles all of them with holy water. After this he

kneels and says the Litany of the Saints, exclusive of the

prayers which follow it. All present are to make the responses.

At the end of the litany he adds the following:

Antiphon: Do not keep in mind, O Lord, our offenses or those of

our parents, nor take vengeance on our sins. Our Father (the rest

inaudibly until:)

P: And lead us not into temptation.

All: But deliver us from evil.

Psalm 53

After the psalm the priest continues:

P: Save your servant.

All: Who trusts in you, my God.

P: Let him (her) find in you, Lord, a fortified tower.

All: In the face of the enemy.

P: Let the enemy have no power over him (her).

All: And the son of iniquity be powerless to harm him (her).

Lord, send him (her) aid from your holy place.

All: And watch over him (her) from Sion.

P: Lord, heed my prayer.

All: And let my cry be heard by you.

P: The Lord be with you.

All: May He also be with you.

Let us pray.

God, whose nature is ever merciful and forgiving, accept our

prayer that this servant of yours, bound by the fetters of sin,

may be pardoned by your loving kindness.

Holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God and Father of our

Lord Jesus Christ, who once and for all consigned that fallen and

apostate tyrant to the flames of hell, who sent your only-

begotten Son into the world to crush that roaring lion; hasten to

our call for help and snatch from ruination and from the clutches

of the noonday devil this human being made in your image and

likeness. Strike terror, Lord, into the beast now laying waste

your vineyard. Fill your servants with courage to fight manfully

against that reprobate dragon, lest he despise those who put

their trust in you, and say with Pharaoh of old: "I know not God,

nor will I set Israel free." Let your mighty hand cast him out of

your servant, N., + so he may no longer hold captive this person

whom it pleased you to make in your image, and to redeem through

your Son; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy

Spirit, God, forever and ever.

All: Amen.

2. Then he commands the demon as follows:

I command you, unclean spirit, whoever you are, along with all

your minions now attacking this servant of God, by the mysteries

of the incarnation, passion, resurrection, and ascension of our

Lord Jesus Christ, by the descent of the Holy Spirit, by the

coming of our Lord for judgment, that you tell me by some sign

your name, and the day and hour of your departure. I command you,

moveover, to obey me to the letter, I who am a minister of God

despite my unworthiness; nor shall you be emboldened to harm in

any way this creature of God, or the bystanders, or any of their

possessions.

3. Next he reads over the possessed person these selections from

the Gospel, or at least one of them.

A Lesson from the holy Gospel according to St. John

John 1.1-14

As he says these opening words he signs himself and the possessed

on the brow, lips, and breast.

A Lesson from the holy Gospel according to St. Mark

Mark 16.15-18

At that time Jesus said to His disciples: "Go into the whole

world and preach the Gospel to all creation. He that believes and

is baptized will be saved; he that does not believe will be

condemned. And in the way of proofs of their claims, the

following will accompany those who believe: in my name they will

drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will take

up serpents in their hands, and if they drink something deadly,

it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and

these will recover."

A Lesson from the holy Gospel according to St. Luke

Luke 10.17-20

At that time the seventy-two returned in high spirits. "Master,"

they said, "even the demons are subject to us because we use your

name!" "Yes," He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall like

lightning that flashes from heaven. But mind: it is I that have

given you the power to tread upon serpents and scorpions, and

break the dominion of the enemy everywhere; nothing at all can

injure you. Just the same, do not rejoice in the fact that the

spirits are subject to you, but rejoice in the fact that your

names are engraved in heaven."

A Lesson from the holy Gospel according to St. Luke

Luke 11.14-22

At that time Jesus was driving out a demon, and this particular

demon was dumb. The demon was driven out, the dumb man spoke, and

the crowds were enraptured. But some among the people remarked:

"He is a tool of Beelzebul, and that is how he drives out

demons!" Another group, intending to test Him, demanded of Him a

proof of His claims, to be shown in the sky. He knew their inmost

thoughts. "Any kingdom torn by civil strife," He said to them,

"is laid in ruins; and house tumbles upon house. So, too, if

Satan is in revolt against himself, how can his kingdom last,

since you say that I drive out demons as a tool of Beelzebul. And

furthermore: if I drive out demons as a tool of Beelzebul, whose

tools are your pupils when they do the driving out? Therefore,

judged by them, you must stand condemned. But, if, on the

contrary, I drive out demons by the finger of God, then,

evidently the kingdom of God has by this time made its way to

you. As long as a mighty lord in full armor guards his premises,

he is in peaceful possession of his property; but should one

mightier than he attack and overcome him, he will strip him of

his armor, on which he had relied, and distribute the spoils

taken from him."

Let us pray.

Almighty Lord, Word of God the Father, Jesus Christ, God and Lord

of all creation; who gave to your holy apostles the power to

tramp underfoot serpents and scorpions; who along with the other

mandates to work miracles was pleased to grant them the authority

to say: "Depart, you devils!" and by whose might Satan was made

to fall from heaven like lightning; I humbly call on your holy

name in fear and trembling, asking that you grant me, your

unworthy servant, pardon for all my sins, steadfast faith, and

the power--supported by your mighty arm--to confront with

confidence and resolution this cruel demon. I ask this through

you, Jesus Christ, our Lord and God, who are coming to judge both

the living and the dead and the world by fire.

4. Next he makes the sign of the cross over himself and the one

possessed, places the end of the stole on the latter's neck, and,

putting his right hand on the latter's head, he says the

following in accents filled with confidence and faith:

P: See the cross of the Lord; begone, you hostile powers!

All: The stem of David, the lion of Juda's tribe has conquered.

Let us pray.

God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, I appeal to your holy

name, humbly begging your kindness, that you graciously grant me

help against this and every unclean spirit now tormenting this

creature of yours; through Christ our Lord.

Exorcism

I cast you out, unclean spirit, along with every satanic power of

the enemy, every spectre from hell, and all your fell companions;

in the name of our Lord Jesus + Christ Begone and stay far from

this creature of God. + For it is He who commands you, He who

flung you headlong from the heights of heaven into the depths of

hell. It is He who commands you, He who once stilled the sea and

the wind and the storm. Hearken, therefore, and tremble in fear,

Satan, you enemy of the faith, you foe of the human race, you

begetter of death, you robber of life, you corrupter of justice,

you root of all evil and vice? seducer of men, betrayer of the

nations, instigator of envy, font of avarice, fomentor of

discord, author of pain and sorrow. Why, then, do you stand and

resist, knowing as you must that Christ the Lord brings your

plans to nothing? Fear Him, who in Isaac was offered in

sacrifice, in Joseph sold into bondage, slain as the paschal

lamb, crucified as man, yet triumphed over the powers of hell.

(The three signs of the cross which follow are traced on the brow

of the possessed person). Begone, then, in the name of the

Father, + and of the Son, + and of the Holy + Spirit. Give place

to the Holy Spirit by this sign of the holy + cross of our Lord

Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy

Let us pray.

God, Creator and defender of the human race, who made man in your

own image, look down in pity on this your servant, N., now in the

toils of the unclean spirit, now caught up in the fearsome

threats of man's ancient enemy, sworn foe of our race, who

befuddles and stupefies the human mind, throws it into terror,

overwhelms it with fear and panic. Repel, O Lord, the devil's

power, break asunder his snares and traps, put the unholy tempter

to flight. By the sign + (on the brow) of your name, let your

servant be protected in mind and body. (The three crosses which

follow are traced on the breast of the possessed person). Keep

watch over the inmost recesses of his (her) + heart; rule over

his (her) + emotions; strengthen his (her) + will. Let vanish

from his (her) soul the temptings of the mighty adversary.

Graciously grant, O Lord, as we call on your holy name, that the

evil spirit, who hitherto terrorized over us, may himself retreat

in terror and defeat, so that this servant of yours may sincerely

and steadfastly render you the service which is your due; through

Christ our Lord.

Exorcism

I adjure you, ancient serpent, by the judge of the living and the

dead, by your Creator, by the Creator of the whole universe, by

Him who has the power to consign you to hell, to depart forthwith

in fear, along with your savage minions, from this servant of

God, N., who seeks refuge in the fold of the Church. I adjure you

again, + (on the brow) not by my weakness but by the might of the

Holy Spirit, to depart from this servant of God, N., whom

almighty God has made in His image. Yield, therefore,

yield not to my own person but to the minister of Christ. For it

is the power of Christ that compels you, who brought you low by

His cross. Tremble before that mighty arm that broke asunder the

dark prison walls and led souls forth to light. May the trembling

that afflicts this human frame, + (on the breast) the fear that

afflicts this image (on the brow) of God, descend on you. Make no

resistance nor delay in departing from this man, for it has

pleased Christ to dwell in man. Do not think of despising my

command because you know me to be a great sinner. It is God +

Himself who commands you; the majestic Christ + who commands you.

God the Father + commands you; God the Son + commands you; God

the Holy + Spirit commands you. The mystery of the cross commands

+ you. The faith of the holy apostles Peter and Paul and of all

the saints commands + you. The blood of the martyrs commands +

you. The continence of the confessors commands + you. The devout

prayers of all holy men and women command + you. The saving

mysteries of our Christian faith command + you.

Depart, then, transgressor. Depart, seducer, full of lies and

cunning, foe of virtue, persecutor of the innocent. Give place,

abominable creature, give way, you monster, give way to Christ,

in whom you found none of your works. For He has already stripped

you of your powers and laid waste your kingdom, bound you

prisoner and plundered your weapons. He has cast you forth into

the outer darkness, where everlasting ruin awaits you and your

abettors. To what purpose do you insolently resist? To what

purpose do you brazenly refuse? For you are guilty before

almighty God, whose laws you have transgressed. You are guilty

before His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, whom you presumed to

tempt, whom you dared to nail to the cross. You are guilty before

the who]e human race, to whom you proferred by your enticements

the poisoned cup of death.

Therefore, I adjure you, profligate dragon, in the name of the

spotless + Lamb, who has trodden down the asp and the basilisk,

and overcome the lion and the dragon, to depart from this man

(woman) + (on the brow), to depart from the Church of God +

(signing the bystanders). Tremble and flee, as we call on the

name of the Lord, before whom the denizens of hell cower, to whom

the heavenly Virtues and Powers and Dominations are subject, whom

the Cherubim and Seraphim praise with unending cries as they

sing: Holy, holy, holy, Lord God of Sabaoth. The Word made flesh

+ commands you; the Virgin's Son + commands you; Jesus + of

Nazareth commands you, who once, when you despised His disciples,

forced you to flee in shameful defeat from a man; and when He had

cast you out you did not even dare, except by His leave, to enter

into a herd of swine. And now as I adjure you in His + name,

begone from this man (woman) who is His creature. It is futile to

resist His + will. It is hard for you to kick against the + goad.

The longer you delay, the heavier your punishment shall be; for

it is not men you are contemning, but rather Him who rules the

living and the dead, who is coming to judge both the living and

the dead and the world by fire.

Let us pray.

God of heaven and earth, God of the angels and archangels, God of

the prophets and apostles, God of the martyrs and virgins, God

who have power to bestow life after death and rest after toil;

for there is no other God than you, nor can there be another true

God beside you, the Creator of heaven and earth, who are truly a

King, whose kingdom is without end; I humbly entreat your

glorious majesty to deliver this servant of yours from the

unclean spirits; through Christ our Lord.

Exorcism

Therefore, I adjure you every unclean spirit, every spectre from

hell, every satanic power, in the name of Jesus Christ of

Nazareth, who was led into the desert after His baptism by John

to vanquish you in your citadel, to cease your assaults against

the creature whom He has formed from the slime of the earth for

His own honor and glory; to quail before wretched man, seeing in

him the image of almighty God, rather than his state of human

frailty. Yield then to God, + who by His servant, Moses, cast you

and your malice, in the person of Pharaoh and his army, into the

depths of the sea. Yield to God, + who, by the singing of holy

canticles on the part of David, His faithful servant, banished

you from the heart of King Saul. Yield to God, + who condemned

you in the person of Judas Iscariot, the traitor. For He now

flails you with His divine scourges, + He in whose sight you and

your legions once cried out: "What have we to do with you, Jesus,

Son of the Most High God? Have you come to torture us before the

time?" Now He is driving you back into the everlasting fire, He

who at the end of time will say to the wicked: "Depart from me,

you accursed, into the everlasting fire which has been prepared

for the devil and his angels." For you, O evil one, and for your

followers there will be worms that never die. An unquenchable

fire stands ready for you and for your minions, you prince of

accursed murderers, father of lechery, instigator of sacrileges,

model of vileness, promoter of heresies, inventor of every

obscenity.

Depart, then, + impious one, depart, + accursed one, depart with

all your deceits, for God has willed that man should be His

temple. Why do you still linger here? Give honor to God the

Father + almighty, before whom every knee must bow. Give place to

the Lord Jesus + Christ, who shed His most precious blood for

man. Give place to the Holy + Spirit, who by His blessed apostle

Peter openly struck you down in the person of Simon Magus; who

cursed your lies in Annas and Saphira; who smote you in King

Herod because he had not given honor to God; who by His apostle

Paul afflicted you with the night of blindness in the magician

Elyma, and by the mouth of the same apostle bade you to go out of

Pythonissa, the soothsayer. Begone, + now! Begone, + seducer!

Your place is in solitude; your abode is in the nest of serpents;

get down and crawl with them. This matter brooks no delay; for

see, the Lord, the ruler comes quickly, kindling fire before Him,

and it will run on ahead of Him and encompass His enemies in

flames. You might delude man, but God you cannot mock. It is He

who casts you out, from whose sight nothing is hidden. It is He

who repels you, to whose might all things are subject. It is He

who expels you, He who has prepared everlasting hellfire for you

and your angels, from whose mouth shall come a sharp sword, who

is coming to judge both the living and the dead and the world by

fire.

5. All the above may be repeated as long as necessary, until the

one possessed has been fully freed.

6. It will also help to say devoutly and often over the afflicted

person the Our Father, Hail Mary, and the Creed, as well as any

of the prayers given below.

7. The Canticle of our Lady, with the doxology; the Canticle of

Zachary, with the doxology.

Athanasian Creed

P: Whoever wills to be saved * must before all else hold fast to

the Catholic faith.

All: Unless one keeps this faith whole and untarnished, * without

doubt he will perish forever.

P: Now this is the Catholic faith: * that we worship one God in

Trinity, and Trinity in unity;

All: Neither confusing the Persons one with the other, * nor

making a distinction in their nature.

P: For the Father is a distinct Person; and so is the Son, * and

so is the Holy Spirit.

All: Yet the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit possess one Godhead, *

co-equal glory, co-eternal majesty.

P: As the Father is, so is the Son, * so also is the Holy Spirit.

All: The Father is uncreated, the Son is uncreated, * the Holy

Spirit is uncreated.

P: The Father is infinite, the Son is infinite, * the Holy Spirit

is infinite.

All: The Father is eternal, the Son is eternal, * the Holy Spirit

is eternal.

P: Yet they are not three eternals, * but one eternal God.

All: Even as they are not three uncreated, or three infinites, *

but one uncreated and one infinite God.

P: So likewise the Father is almighty, the Son is almighty, * the

Holy Spirit is almighty.

All: Yet they are not three almighties, * but they are the one

Almighty.

P: Thus the Father is God, the Son is God, * the Holy Spirit is

God.

All: Yet they are not three gods, * but one God.

P: Thus the Father is Lord, the Son is Lord, * the Holy Spirit is

Lord.

All: Yet there are not three lords, * but one Lord.

P: For just as Christian truth compels us to profess that each

Person is individually God and Lord, * so does the Catholic

religion forbid us to hold that there are three gods or lords.

All: The Father was not made by any power; * He was neither

created nor begotten.

P: The Son is from the Father alone, * neither created nor made,

but begotten.

All: The Holy Spirit is from the Father and the Son, * neither

made nor created nor begotten, but He proceeds.

P: So there is one Father, not three; one Son, not three; * one

Holy Spirit, not three.

All: And in this Trinity one Person is not earlier or later, nor

is one greater or less; * but all three Persons are co-eternal

and co-equal.

P: In every way, then, as already affirmed, * unity in Trinity

and Trinity in unity is to be worshipped.

All: Whoever, then, wills to be saved * must assent to this

doctrine of the Blessed Trinity.

P: But it is necessary for everlasting salvation * that one also

firmly believe in the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.

All: True faith, then, requires us to believe and profess * that

our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is both God and man.

P: He is God, begotten of the substance of the Father from

eternity; * He is man, born in time of the substance of His

Mother.

All: He is perfect God, and perfect man * subsisting in a

rational soul and a human body.

P: He is equal to the Father in His divine nature, * but less

than the Father in His human nature as such.

All: And though He is God and man, * yet He is the one Christ,

not two;

P: One, however, not by any change of divinity into flesh, * but

by the act of God assuming a human nature. All: He is one only,

not by a mixture of substance, * but by the oneness of His

Person.

P: For, somewhat as the rational soul and the body compose one

man, * so Christ is one Person who is both God and man;

All: Who suffered for our salvation, who descended into hell, *

who rose again the third day from the dead;

P: Who ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God

the Father almighty, * from there He shall come to judge both the

living and the dead.

All: At His coming all men shall rise again in their bodies, *

and shall give an account of their works.

P: And those who have done good shall enter into everlasting

life, * but those who have done evil into ever lasting fire.

All: All this is Catholic faith, * and unless one believes it

truly and firmly one cannot be saved.

P: Glory be to the Father

All: As it was in the beginning.

{Here follow a large number of psalms which may be used at the

exorcist's discretion but are not a necessary part of the rite.

Some of them occur in other parts of the Ritual and are so

indicated; the others may be taken from the Psalter. Psalm 90;

psalm 67; psalm 69; psalm 53; psalm 117; psalm 34; psalm 30;

psalm 21, psalm 3; psalm 10; psalm 12.

Prayer Following Deliverance

Almighty God, we beg you to keep the evil spirit from further

molesting this servant of yours, and to keep him far away, never

to return. At your command, O Lord, may the goodness and peace of

our Lord Jesus Christ, our Redeemer, take possession of this man

(woman). May we no longer fear any evil since the Lord is with

us; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy

Edited by FrMerrin

I've heard quite a few people say that it's hard to find a full excorcism rite/ritual...*whichever you prefer to say*...believe it or not...I have an original full excorcism rite that I just happened across one day...it's very interesting to read...it's all in latin..which is hard to understand if you don't know latin...but none the less...it's a very interesting read as to what they go through during an excorcism...

806550[/snapback]

"Pope Paul V by a Bull of June 16, 1614, published the official Roman Ritual for the universal Church, to which model all diocesan rituals were thenceforth to conform. But in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the abuse was revived, particularly through the religious orders, who printed private collections of blessings and especially exorcisms with prayers and formulas of such a nature as to outdo even the superstitions of the late Middle Ages....etc.

806550[/snapback]

well thank you for that wonderful waste of space...and your point is?...I do believe that the excorcism rite that I was speaking of...was in LATIN...here let Me spell that again for you...L....A...T...I...N.....I can't believe you copy and pasted that entire thing...*shakes My head*...online..and in a book are also 2 different things...but whatever...I'm glad you missed My point completely

Purgitori